    But I need a second laptop. I consider bying an old IBM Thinkpad
    Pentium II 266. Is that a good choice or is there a better choice ?

    Werner

    W. Scholz, Oct 17, 2003

  2. W. Scholz

    Paul Rubin Guest

    That will probably have a fan too. I have a Thinkpad 770 with 233 mhz
    Pentium MMX and it has a fan, though the fan is spun down most of the
    time. It spins up if I do something very cpu intensive that runs for
    a long while, like 1/2 an hour. Newer machines like my 750 mhz A20p
    run their fans a lot more. Earlier ones like the 133 mhz 760 series
    have no fan, but run very hot and aren't recommended. To get a cool
    running Thinkpad with no fan you probably have to go all the way back
    to the 755 series and even the 755cx (75 mhz pentium) ran kind of hot.

    That said, the 770 is generally pretty satisfactory if you can stand
    having the fan run once in a while. The hard disc is at least as
    noisy as the fan anyway.

    Paul Rubin, Oct 17, 2003

  3. W. Scholz

    Vincent Fox Guest

    I have a ThinkPad 560X, found under $150 on Ebay no problems.
    About 4 pound single-spindle design, very trim.

    560X uses the "Tillamook" variant of the Pentium 233MMX, which
    had a bigger cache, and lower power usage. No fan required.
    Put in a modern quiet hard drive, Seagate Momentus would be
    the ideal IMHO, and you should have a good little unit.
    I use mine all the time for wireless web browsing, etc.
    Most will come with 96 megs RAM which is enough for Linux
    or Win9X/2K but not XP. I managed to find a rare 128 meg
    EDO SODIMM on EBay and bumped mine to 160 megs so I could run
    XP which it does a decent job at surprisingly enough. Enough
    RAM and a fast hard drive are I find more critical than CPU.

    Vincent Fox, Oct 17, 2003
  4. W. Scholz

    Paul Rubin Guest

    You can get edo simms for big bucks at crucial.com. However, I'd
    have thought a 233 mmx would use SDRAM like the 770 did.

    Paul Rubin, Oct 17, 2003
  5. W. Scholz

    Vincent Fox Guest

    No, the Thinkpad 560X motherboard used EDO. A bit hard to find
    these days, at least for large ones. Watched Ebay for a bit.

    Vincent Fox, Oct 17, 2003
  6. W. Scholz

    Al Adrian Guest

    My IBM thinkpad I series with P300 doesn't run the fan very much.. but the
    Harddrive noise is enough to drive me buggy.. On the other hand, My new T-40
    always runs the fan at a low level and I hardly hear it.. (the harddrive on
    it is extremely quiet too)

    You could upgrade the HD I suppose, but the rrrrrrrrrrr sound of the HD vs
    the ssssssss sound of the fan... I'd take a fan anyday.

    Al...

    Al Adrian, Oct 17, 2003
  7. W. Scholz

    pn2500 Guest

    fwiw, had an acer travelmate 340, PIII-600 sans CDROM, I never noticed
    a fan noise, it was pretty quiet, since low power due to 12" screen

    hth

    pn2500, Oct 17, 2003