    Of course, if there's a fix out there for the Netgear I'll take it.

    thanks,

    tf

    thefronny, Jul 9, 2008

  2. thefronny

    S.Lewis Guest

    If possible, take it back and swap it for either a similar DLink or Linksys
    PCMCIA/cardbus G card.

    Be sure to uninstall the Netgear software. Before beginning the install of
    the software for any replacement card.

    Be sure to spin up the software CD for the new card before installing it in
    any slot.

    Linksys:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2002810031+50001413&name=LINKSYS
    DLink:
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductList3.jsp

    S.Lewis, Jul 9, 2008

  3. thefronny

    thefronny Guest

    Thanks for the info. I've ordered a Linksys unit. (I've stayed away
    from Linksys product in the past because their switches never lasted
    very long for us. Old dog, meet new trick...)

    tf

    thefronny, Jul 10, 2008
  4. thefronny

    Ben Myers Guest

    Yes, internal mini-PCI wireless cards have extremely weak reception without
    antennae built into the system. Open up the little mini-PCI hatch on the bottom
    of the chassis and see if there are two wire leads with tiny circular connectors
    on them. These connectors are a pain in the ass to attach to a wifi card.

    A laptop WITH the antennae and mini-PCI wifi generally has better reception than
    the same one with a PCMCIA wifi card. I upgraded an Inspiron 5100 with
    internal antenna wire leads and got an ecstatic response from the owner who get
    very strong connections to the wifi router in the house... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 11, 2008