need recommendations on what brand, specific computer tool kit to buy (physical tool kits, not softw

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Trevor Smithson, May 25, 2005.

  1. Hello

    I'm looking for recommendation on what brands and specific tool kits
    to buy. I had a cheap, about 10-piece kit, but it got lost in a
    recent move. It had some regular screwdrivers, a few mini-style
    screwdrivers, a chip extractor, tweezers, a screw/connector/jumper/
    box, and came in a crummy zipper case. Got that one at a trade show a
    few years back as a freebie.

    Whatever I get, in addition to the above I'd like the kit to have a
    wire stripper/cutter, a soldering iron, needle-nose pliers and a
    ratchet driver with standard/phlips/torx/square bits. A small
    flashlight would be nice.

    Amazon has a Belkin 55-piece kit for $34.98:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...31651-8586517?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846

    Buy.com has a Fellowes 55-peice kit for $33.88:
    http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10325579&loc=101&hdwt=0&sp=1

    No soldering iron with the Fellowes, it does have a voltage tester.

    Both have free shipping available, and both are priced about 40% off.
    None of local stores have much available but the cheap 8-to-20 piece
    kits, or very expensive kits with LAN and/or electrical tools.

    Anyone have/used either of these? Are the tools of good quality?

    Any other brands or specific kits I should consider? I don't need a
    nice case or anything, as I plan to put all the tools I get into a
    small tollbox that I have. I'd like to keep the price below $50.

    Trevor Smithson, May 25, 2005