Need Restore CD for XPS D266

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Jeff Wisnia, Jan 29, 2004.

  1. Jeff Wisnia

    Jeff Wisnia Guest

    I'm trying to rehab a donated Dell Dimension XPS D266 to be used by
    special needs children.

    The system (Win95 is well mucked up and I think using a restore CD would
    be the best thing to do.

    Where do I look for one, along with the registration code I may need to
    complete installing Windows?

    I've e-mailed Dell, but haven't received a reply.

    Thanks guys,

    Jeff
    --

    Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

    to blame it on."

    Jeff Wisnia, Jan 29, 2004

  2. your system came with a set of cd's that allowed for system recovery and
    diagnostics. these cds also had the serial number/license that made
    installation of the software legal. sounds like you don't have those cds
    and replacement would mean purchasing them new someplace (not dell who no
    longer sells windows 9x). if the original hard disk is in the system there
    may still be a another way. the original hard disk was shipped with a
    utility called 'zztop' that can restore the entire system to the state that
    it was when originally sent out from the factory. this process is
    destructive (meaning it wipes all existing programs and data from the hard
    disk). it also may not work if the original image has become corrupted in
    some way. exit windows to msdos and type 'zztop' and press return. the
    utility should start and it will check the integrity of the restore file
    before proceeding. you may get lucky with this.

    Christopher Muto, Jan 29, 2004

  3. Jeff Wisnia

    S.Lewis Guest

    Hey Christopher,

    I think this machine is likely to pre-date the zztop utility (originated
    1/98 thru 3/98 by my estimation ) and the OP is going to be stuck with
    locating either a Win95 or Win98 (preferably) CD.

    If the OP can't locate the original Dell discs, perhaps he can contact a
    local vendor, explain what he's doing, and come away with a legal working
    version.

    A quick peek at ebay shows legit Win98 CDs up for sale, but they appear to
    be cost-prohibitive.

    Good luck to the OP.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Jan 29, 2004
  4. I'm not sure I'd be so intent on reinstalling Windows 95... It's an old,
    outdated OS.

    If you're donating to a reputable organization, there's a very good chance
    they have access to a newer OS.

    I've donated a number of systems, and every time I was told not to worry
    about ANY software (including the OS)... They'd be reinstalling and
    reconfiguring the system to their own specifications.

    Good Luck!

    Larry

    Lawrence Glasser, Jan 29, 2004