    calls are at my disposal. Anything to get me started will be nice.

    Please help!! Thanks in advance.

    Fahd A

    Fahd, Jun 26, 2003

  2. Fahd

    rw Guest

  3. There is sample code for the MBX860 - a MPC860 based board from the Motorola
    Computer Group available at:

    http://www.omega-environment.com/omegaBspDistribution.html
    http://www.omega-environment.com/downloads.html#omegaBspDistribution

    Download the 'Omega Environment OmegaBSP Distribution' and disregard the
    references to the Omega RTOS - should serve as a good example.

    Dave.

    David J Edgar, Jun 26, 2003
  4. Fahd

    Fahd Guest

    Hi, Thanks for the link, i already saw that one, unfortunatlly the
    source code in there is not targetted for the MPC860, it is ABLE-HDL
    targeting a PAL. I was looking for some simple source code running
    inside the MPC860.

    I am wondering, if i wrote a simple Hello World program using stdio as
    the library but targeted it to the MPC860, exactlly what would the
    printf statement write out to? Maybe i can substitute the printf for
    another function that would write out to the serial port so i can
    monitor it? I think i also need to make sure that the MPC860 is
    already running a linux kernel. As you can tell i am a total noob.

    #include <stdio.h>
    int main(void)
    {
    printf("Hello World !\n"); // Maybe substitute this with another
    function?
    return(0);
    }

    Thank you for your help.

    Fahd

    Fahd, Jun 26, 2003
  5. Fahd

    Gary Kato Guest

    You might want to check out books on programming embedded systems. There are
    plenty out there. "Programming Embedded Systems in C and C++" from O'Reilly
    seems ok. It takes someone who is used to coding on desktop/workstation
    computers and explains how things are different in the embedded world.

    Gary Kato, Jun 26, 2003
  6. Download the U-Boot source code, study it, configure it for the RPX
    board (which is supported as one of the many default configurations),
    install it into flash, run it, check the example programs in the
    examples/ directory, etc.

    Wolfgang Denk

    --
    Software Engineering: Embedded and Realtime Systems, Embedded Linux
    Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87 Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88 Web: www.denx.de

    Wolfgang Denk, Jun 26, 2003
  7. Fahd

    Fahd Guest

    Thanks Denk, I will try and do a search for the U-Boot source. Does
    Denx have this on their website? By the way i was already using the
    ELDK 2.1.0 from denx to do the cross compilations. Thanks for all your
    help guys, i might also pickup the programming book.

    Oh, and i came across this place montavistasoftware.com, they offer a
    linux distribution for the RPXlite board from EP, i have an app note
    that describes debugging the kernel with a BDI2000 using GDB, exactlly
    what i was looking for.

    Thanks,

    Fahd

    Fahd, Jun 27, 2003
  8. google should point you directly to project page at
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/u-boot
    Yes, we have all officialy released version on out FTP server at
    ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/u-boot/
    If you have the ELDK installed, just look in
    /opt/eldk/ppc_8xx/usr/src/u-boot*

    Wolfgang Denk

    Wolfgang Denk, Jun 27, 2003