Need schematic to make programmer for PIC18 family PICs

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by johannblake, Dec 21, 2005.

  1. johannblake

    johannblake Guest

    I would like to build my own programmer for Microchip PICs. There are
    many schematics on the Internet available but I can't seem to find
    exactly what I want. What I would like is something that provides all
    (or most) of the following functions:

    * Can program PIC18 family of devices (or all of the major PIC families
    if possible)

    * In-circuit programming (not debugging): the electronics used for
    programming need to be physically separated somehow from the
    electronics of my own application circuit. However, if the number of
    parts needed just for the programming section is relatively small, I
    have no problem including these on my application board. The idea is
    that I attach my application circuit to the programmer and program the
    PIC. Then I remove my application circuit from the programmer and can
    use my circuit immediately. This makes updating the firmware
    convienient. I prefer not to have to remove PIC chips from sockets.

    * The hardware needs to be supported by some well known software
    application that will be used to flash the PICs.

    * USB is the preferred interface between my PC and the programmer
    although parallel and serial ports will also do.

    * Would be nice to also have a schematic of a general purpose
    development board containing LEDs, buttons, etc that are interfaced to
    the PICs so that general breadboarding can be carried out. This
    breadboard (development board) should also be separated from the actual
    programming circuit. I realize that this is dependent on the actual PIC
    type but if there is a schematic for prototyping PIC18 family (or
    related PICs), that is what I could use.

    Any partial suggestions are much appreciated.

    Thanks again
    Johann Blake

    johannblake, Dec 21, 2005

  2. johannblake

    Stef Mientki Guest

    What about a bootloader ?
    either through RS232 or USB,
    works great.
    Stef Mientki

    Stef Mientki, Dec 21, 2005

  3. johannblake

    johannblake Guest

    Stef, could you be a little more specific. What's a bootloader, what
    hardware and software do you need to make it work?

    Thanks
    Johann

    johannblake, Dec 21, 2005
  4. johannblake

    Donald Guest

    Donald, Dec 21, 2005
  5. johannblake

    David Tweed Guest

    Check out the EasyProg and QuickProto boards from Embed, Inc.:
    http://www.embedinc.com/products/

    Documentation for both is on-line, and you can buy the EasyProg
    in kit form (or just a bare board).

    -- Dave Tweed

    David Tweed, Dec 21, 2005