Need some ATI software advice for Radeon 8500DV

Discussion in 'ATI' started by CaptMike, Dec 10, 2005.

  1. CaptMike

    CaptMike Guest

    I recently rebuilt my PC using parts from two setups because one
    motherboard died. Anyway, my prefered primary video card is a ATI
    All-In-Wonder Radeon 8500DV which I know is not the state of the art,
    but I'm not a gamer anyway. My secondary monitor is driven by a
    Matrox millennium G200, and what I'd like to do is output my TV
    function to a good old Amiga monitor which has RCA video//audio inputs
    if that would work. I could live with video embedded in the PC
    monitors, but I always disliked the fact that the video had to be
    displayed on the primary monitor and could not be slid over to the 2nd
    display. Maybe they changed that? Whatever.

    OK, so here's the main problem. I tried using my original ATI CD to
    load all the drivers to get the TV function, DVR, separate monitor and
    such installed and maybe because W2K has had so many updates (?) and
    service packs... the CD would not properly install. I was able to use
    the video drivers from the CD but nothing else, and I know that those
    are at least three years old.

    When I go to the ATI support page, I can't find any reference to the
    Radeon 8500 DV and the loads of software there caution you about using
    this software with the wrong device. So what I need to know is
    whether there's a link to complete software bundles for discontinued
    models like the 8500DV... or that I can safely use the latest and
    greatest software even though my video card is not listed there.

    Thanks in advance for the help.

    Mike

    CaptMike, Dec 10, 2005

  2. CaptMike

    Gordon Scott Guest

    I use the 6.14.10.6517 drivers (cat 5.3) and MMC 9.02

    Gordon Scott, Dec 10, 2005

  3. CaptMike

    CaptMike Guest

    Hey Gordon...

    Thanks for the help. I fished around the ATI site and finally DL'd
    the Cat 5.4 driver, plus MMC 9.08. I have the video on the screen now
    and it looks pretty good. My ATI remote doesn't seem to work
    though... and for some reason, I'm not getting any audio. My sound
    card is a Sound Blaster LIVE! 5.1 so I'm a little confused as to where
    the jacks go. Coming out of the video card you have the green jack
    which is a piggy-back for another jack, and a blue one which I'm not
    sure what it is. My main manual is buried some place in my basement
    and all I have handy is MMC User's Guide. Of course, there's no
    diagrams in there either.

    My speaker system is a Yamaha YST35D USB connect 3-piece setup with a
    sub along with a right and left. The Yamaha panel has two (2) output
    cables along with the USB. I can play music off my HDD, but I'm not
    getting anything fromt he TV signal.

    I guess I'm going to have to open up a few boxes to see if I can find
    the SB and ATI main manuals, because I know that when I had this card
    in the older system, I was able to use the remote... plus I had
    awesome sound.

    Mike

    CaptMike, Dec 12, 2005
  4. CaptMike

    T Shadow Guest

    The ATI manuals should be on the CD in PDF format. IIRC so is the SB.

    T Shadow, Dec 12, 2005
  5. CaptMike

    Gordon Scott Guest

    hi

    I plug my sound in to the mic input, so the blue jack goes into the pink
    input on the Sb card, I have this input split with a Y adapter.

    the other piggy back green goes into the next hole (prolly line in?) its
    hard to see the back of my pc.

    there are manuals online for both products
    http://www2.ati.com/manuals/awra8575.pdf

    your remote wonder should work, get the latest 3.02 drivers i think.

    Gordon Scott, Dec 13, 2005
  6. CaptMike

    Jacobdrj Guest

    Hi. I am useing the latest drivers for my 8500DV. My 8500DV is my
    main card, and I have been happily useing it for a long time. I have
    found that I don't need to use the breakout box/piggyback cables at
    all. Internaly, you can use a white-connector CD audio cable, and
    connect that directly to an auxillury CD input on your sound card. I
    am useing my motherboard's onboard sound, and I find that it is working
    just fine for my needs.

    As a side note, you need to make sure to take good care of the 8500DV's
    fan. Keep it clean, because there are no replacements for it.

    jacobdrj

    Jacobdrj, Dec 20, 2005
  7. CaptMike

    CaptMike Guest

    Guys...

    Sorry for the delay in responding, but the holidays kept me busy.

    Just want to note that I am using the v.9.08 MMC and its apparently
    working fine although I haven't explored anything other than the TV
    function. I'm using the latest video drivers as well. What I haven't
    been able to do is get the remote control working and I suspect
    there's a software patch for that too?

    While I haven't seen any video hiccups, when I reboot I always get a
    popup error noting that a mscoree.dll file cannot be found. Is this
    something that is ATI related?

    BTW... Happy New Year and thanks for all the help!

    Mike

    CaptMike, Jan 4, 2006
  8. CaptMike

    Gordon Scott Guest

    google that filename, part of the .NET framework

    Gordon Scott, Jan 5, 2006
  9. CaptMike

    captmikey Guest

    Gordo...

    Yeah I did do that but I don't understand what the Net framework is or
    why I need it. It's all over my head... could you or someone explain
    what it's all about? Is there something else I need to install or
    delete to stop that error from appearing?

    Right now, my card and TV function is working fine, but I'd like to
    know if there's anything special I have to do to get the remote
    working again with this new software.

    I haven't tried the video record function yet. I hope to try and
    record some screen shots from a Nintendo NES (prototype) cartridge
    before I post it on eBay.

    Mike

    captmikey, Jan 5, 2006
  10. CaptMike

    Gordon Scott Guest

    well..

    ..net is a necessary item if you install the CCC (catalyst control panel)
    version of the ati drivers. personaly I dont and wont use it, resource
    hog and more ATI software shit to deal with, I just use the regular
    control panel driver sets, from ATI or omega.
    www.omegadrivers.net

    info on .net
    http://www.microsoft.com/net/basics.mspx
    Gordon

    Gordon Scott, Jan 6, 2006
  11. CaptMike

    captmikey Guest

    Well... I'm not a gamer, but if the Omega drivers are more efficient,
    I might try them. Would I lose any of the AIW features with these
    drivers?

    I'm assuming I have to use Add/Remove Programs to extract the ATI CCW
    control panel? Would I still have a floating or anchor-able AIW menu?
    And more importantly... could I use the ATI remote? I'm more into
    writing and my own graphics work... and I use the TV as a backdrop.

    Mike

    captmikey, Jan 6, 2006
  12. CaptMike

    Gordon Scott Guest

    You'll lose no functionality with omega drivers. you probably wont gain
    anything by using them either in your case.

    since your problem is with the mscoree file why not just uninstall CCC
    then uninstall .net framework files.

    Gordon Scott, Jan 7, 2006
  13. CaptMike

    CaptMike Guest

    Gordon...

    Was able to uninstall the CCC but I could not find any Microsoft.NET
    Framework program listed in add/remove programs. I did a file search
    for .NET Framework and only found file named FrameWork located in
    C:\WINNT|system32\wbem\logs.

    Tried installing the Omega drivers and during the install it appeared
    that about five files it was looking for could not be found. I think
    they were ATI or Microsoft files.

    Rebooted the system and everything looked OK except none of my ATI
    buttons seem to do anything now. Get a pop up window stating thatthe
    TV Player failed to initialize the video followed by a line that asks
    me to check that the correct video driver has been installed and is
    working properly before attempting to restart the TV.

    Trying the PC Check:

    Failed:
    Capture Driver is not loaded nor enumerated by the de..
    ATI Rage Theater Video Capture
    Logitech QuickCam Express

    Something's wrong here but I thought all functions of the ATI AIW
    would be supported by the Omega driver?

    Mike

    CaptMike, Jan 7, 2006
  14. CaptMike

    Gordon Scott Guest

    reinstall your video drivers, get the the version without ccc

    Gordon Scott, Jan 8, 2006
  15. CaptMike

    Gordon Scott Guest

    my advice completely uninstall all ati drivers and reinstall. use driver
    cleaner 3

    Gordon Scott, Jan 8, 2006
  16. CaptMike

    CaptMike Guest

    OK, weirdest thing... I rebooted and now everything seems to work,
    although I haven't yet been able to get my remote working... wondered
    does that need any special software or should it work with the Omega
    drivers?

    BTW, no errors on several reboots, so the NET thing is gone.

    Mike

    CaptMike, Jan 8, 2006
  17. CaptMike

    Gordon Scott Guest

    remote wonder has nothing to do with the video drivers
    have you installed the remote wonder drivers?
    you have to install the drivers BEFORE you plug it in.
    https://support.ati.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=1171

    I'm using version 3.1, with a few plugins for powerdvd guide + etc
    http://remotew.free.fr/plugins.htm

    Gordon Scott, Jan 9, 2006