    Do I use any 3rd party uninstallers after?
    (I use WinXP btw)

    Any help is great and thanks for your time.

    Joe, Jun 24, 2003

  2. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Thanks but I was hoping to get some help here instead. Rage3d.com is not for
    me...

    Joe, Jun 24, 2003

  3. Joe

    Tony Low Guest

    Why not for you? Sorry but I dont understand...anyway I will copy and paste
    the instruction here for you.

    1. Go into the Control Panel and under the ADD/REMOVE SOFTWARE icon
    uninstall the ATI MultiMedia software and/or the ATI DVD software.

    2. Uninstall the ATI drivers also found in the Add/Remove section. Once
    removed, it will prompt you to reboot....do so.

    3. When returning to windows, the NEW HARDWARE FOUND wizard will come up and
    will tell you that it has found a new VGA card and will prompt you for
    drivers. Hit CANCEL!

    4. Now, go to START - SEARCH - FOR FILES OR FOLDERS and do a search for all
    files and folders using the filename ati*.*
    This search will normally give you 3 to 4 files found in your c:/windows
    directory and subdirectories (including the Windows/System directory).
    Select these files and erase them. Now go to your Recycle Bin and Empty your
    bin.

    5. Next...time to go to your Registry. Go to START -- RUN -- regedit

    Here go to key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -- SYSTEM -- ControlSet001 -- Control --
    Video . Here there should be 4 entries. 3 of them are default Windows XP
    entries and the 4th one is put in by the ATI drivers. Expand each one by one
    until you see ATI entries. Once found, erase the entire key.

    Now repeat the same step above for the ControlSet002 key and the
    CurrentControlSet Key. Normally, whenever you erase a key in the
    ControlSet001, XP automatically deletes it in the CurrentControlSet section
    too. So if the ATI key is not found in the CurrentControlSet section, don't
    worry about it.
    Once all keys are deleted, proceed to the next step.

    6. While still in the registry, go to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -- SOFTWARE
    section. Here you should find an ATI Technologies key. Select it and delete
    it. In that same section, look for an Installed Options key. Expand it and
    there you should find another ATI Technologies key. Select it and erase it.

    7. Still in the registry, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER -- Software and there you
    should find another ATI technologies key. Select it and erase it. Once all
    this is done, close the registry. the registry is now clean.

    8. Close all windows and reboot.

    9. When in windows after the reboot the NEW HARDWARE FOUND WIZARD will pop
    up again. Cancel that. Now find the new ATI drivers that you have downloaded
    and extracted and run the SETUP file. Once complete, reboot and you are
    done. You may want to reinstall your ATI MMC software and DVD software if
    you use them. DONE!

    For all those who do not like going into the registry and rather have an
    easy to use program to do it for you, you can grab a nifty tool called
    "RegCleaner" here and it will do it for you without getting your hands dirty
    in the registry. Follow steps 1 through 4 as stated above, then run
    RegCleaner to do the rest. Once completed, follow steps 8 and 9 and you are
    DONE!

    Tony Low, Jun 24, 2003
  4. Joe

    h2so4 Guest

    I've always upgraded my drivers simply by installing the new ones over the
    old and in the year I've had my 9700 Pro I've not experienced any problems.
    I'd only do a full uninstall of previous drivers if I were moving to another
    brand of card.

    When I uninstalled the drivers for my previous GFX card, a Gainward Ti 4600,
    I uninstalled the Nvidia drivers through the add/remove applet in control
    panel and then tidied up by running regedit and removing all references to
    the Nvidia Corporation from registry. This worked for me.

    h2so4, Jun 24, 2003
  5. Joe

    Joe Guest

    I'm tired of all the product bashing and trolling most forums bring these
    days and that's all. Thanks for your help again...

    Joe, Jun 24, 2003
  6. Joe

    Tony Low Guest

    Hi Joe,
    I understand what you are saying but that forum is monitored. In fact,
    www.rage3d.com is an ATI products dedicated web page. Almost all ATI users
    go there to get help or latest news. I would advise you to check it out.
    Later.

    Tony Low, Jun 24, 2003