    the place where your supposed to press it I go to the blue screen, then
    I select clock speed and voltage, then it says my clock speed is
    133...huh? What do I do?

    potnisanish, Sep 5, 2005

  2. Please what? Sorry if this sounds blunt, but we're not potnisanish's
    personal support crew, so if you want your butt wiping, you're going to have
    to do it yourself.

    If you want a "step by step" guide to overclocking, there are loads out
    there on the web so do a bit of work yourself and find one. You haven't
    given us anywhere near enough specific info to be able to help you so even
    if someone's keen, it's not possible to tell you what to do to overclock
    your particular system, beyond the most generalised concepts with which
    you're probably already familiar.
    ....and? What motherboard? What memory?
    Well maybe you should do a little more research before you start mucking
    about with system settings you don't understand, and that could, with a bit
    of bad luck, mess your system up quite thoroughly?
    Well you obviously know where to look. As to what you do, well, to start
    with, if you want to overclock your CPU you need to set the FSB as something
    greater than 133MHz. However, there are knock-on effects and other settings
    you may need to alter, so this is where you need to get a handle on what
    you're doing first.

    You obviously know what Google is. All the info you need right now is out
    there somewhere, right now. It would have been a lot quicker for you to do a
    bit of searching and find the info you want than it has been for you to
    write this post and me reply to it. Like I said, if it basic stuff you wanna
    learn, you'll find it on the web. Once you've got some specific questions,
    or things you're stuck on, that's the point you wanna be thinking about
    posting to newsgroups.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Sep 5, 2005

  3. potnisanish

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'potnisanish' wrote:
    | Please?
    |
    | I have a pentium 4 2.66 Ghz 533 MHz FSB
    |

    | I don't have the slightest idea of how to do this. when I press del at
    | the place where your supposed to press it I go to the blue screen, then
    | I select clock speed and voltage, then it says my clock speed is
    | 133...huh? What do I do?
    _____

    A whole lot of people who have no idea of how to overclock have been
    successful in overclocking. If the motherboard is 'overclocking friendly',
    an Intel CPU is very easy to overclock. If the motherboard is NOT
    'overclocking friendly' the task is much more difficult. If your
    motherboard is 'overclocking friendly' the manual likely gives all the
    information necessary to overclock, though the manual may have been
    translanted back and forth among several languanges, and the information may
    be a bit confusing.

    #1. Raising the CPU voltage can destroy your CPU. NEVER raise the CPU
    voltage more than 15%, and if you do raise it, do it in very small steps.

    #2. Raising the CPU clock speed will NOT damage your Intel CPU,
    motherboard, memory, or anything else. If you raise the clock speed too
    much, the system will either to run in a stable manner, or will fail to
    boot. This is not a problem because either the BIOS will automatically
    reset to default values or there will be directions in the manual on how to
    reset to default speeds.

    #3. In overclocking, make any changes in small steps, checking for proper
    operation after each change.

    #4. Overclocking works best when the CPU temperature is kept as low as
    possible.

    #5. Intel CPUs can ONLY be overclocked by raising the clock speed. Even if
    the multiplier can be set in the BIOS, changing this settings has NO effect.

    #6. Some older motherboards may report an incorrect speed for CPUs that
    have a higher speed than available when the BIOS was installed.

    #7. Intel CPUs have a quad-pumped memory bus; that means data is transfered
    four times for each clock cycle; for a 533 MHz Frontside Bus speed the clock
    speed is 133 MHz. That 133 MHz clock speed is multiplied by a factor FIXED
    and UNCHANGABLE inside the CPU to give the overall CPU clock speed. For
    your 2660 MHz CPU, the multiplier is X 20 (133 MHz X 20 = 2660 MHZ.)

    #8. The rated speed of the installed memory can limit the overclock.
    Memory can be overclocked, but it will eventualy reach a limit. Faster
    memory can be installed, but the cost may not be worth it. The memory clock
    can be set to a lower ratio (with some motherboards) to allow higher clock
    speeds, but there is a performance penalty.

    A reasonable goal for your CPU is 3.33 GHz. With luck and good cooling over
    3.5 GHz should be possible.

    How you overclock depends on the specifics of your system, how much patience
    you have, and much attention you pay to details.

    A general approach:

    * Download and install MotherBoard Monitor 5 (free) at
    http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ . This will allow you to monitor and
    record the CPU speeds, fan speeds, CPU temperature (and perhaps motherboard,
    memory, and other temperatures, and voltages.)

    * Download and install SiSoft Sandra (free) at
    http://www.sisoftware.net/ . This program is a collection of
    information gathering applets for your system. It also has low level tests
    of performance, as well as stress tests (necessary to establish proper
    operation when the CPU is operating at full capacity. I find version 2004
    more useful than 2005, but 2004 is hard to find now.

    * Use MotherBoard Monitor 4 and SiSoft Sandra because the vast majority of
    the people who use this forum also use these applications

    * Read the manual carefully.

    * Clean the heatsink fins, and fans of all dust, grease, and dirt.

    * Write down the settings in the BIOS.

    * Write down the temperature and voltage information from SiSoft Sandra.

    * Check the voltages reported by MotherBoard Monitor 5 for you system. If
    any are outside the specifications this may affect the operation of your
    system, especially if it is overclocked. Also check the total rated output
    of your power supply, if it is marginal, overclocking (since more power is
    required) may also be marginal.

    * Steps for overclocking your Intel CPU (only after completing the above
    recommendations):

    #0. The standard setup for PCI bus and AGP bus speeds are fractions of
    the clock speed. Make sure the PCI/AGP Bus speeds are instead locked at 33
    MHz/67 MHz; if the PCI bus speed is more than 36 MHz corruption of data on
    your hard drives can occur.

    #1. Increase the clock speed by 5%.

    #2. Reboot and check for operation.

    #3. If #2 is successful, repeat #1.

    #4. If #2 is not successful, raise the CPU core voltage by 0.05 volts
    (in NO case raise this voltage to more than a total of 15%, doing so may
    instantly destroy your CPU; when the core voltage reaches this limit go to
    #6.)

    #5. Go to #2.

    #6. You have reached the limit of overclocking without changing other
    factors which may include CPU cooling, System cooling, memory settings.
    Installing memory capable of higher clock speeds may help. On the other
    hand, some of these changes may be expensive, and not worth the money for
    the possible performance increase.

    * After reaching the highest speed, check operation under full CPU load (use
    SiSoft Sandra burn-in, other burn-in programs, or intense action 3D
    accelerated first-person shooter games.) If the system is not stable under
    heavy load, try reducing the clock speed and/or CPU core voltage (higher
    voltage means higher operating temperatures.)

    * Check the installation of the CPU heatsink; new heatsink compound may help
    CPU cooling.

    * A better than stock heatsink/fan may aid overclocking.

    * Improved system cooling may aid overclocking.

    * Exotic cooling of the CPU to room temperature or below can significantly
    increase top speeds (or not, depending on the individual CPU speed, memory
    quality, and motherboard.)

    WARNINGS!!!
    * Increasing the CPU voltage above 15% over specifications is likely to
    INSTANTLY destroy the CPU
    * There is always a chance that when you start fooling around inside the
    system case of your computer that you may cause damage (the butterfinger
    factor.)

    You can find a LOT of additional information on the Internet, including the
    speeds that others overclockers have reached with your model CPU. One
    question you must ask yourself is WHY you wish to overclock; I can think of
    three reasons:

    #1. Higher performance at little or no expense with your present
    system.

    #2. Just because you can, and enjoy experimenting

    #3. Bragging rights - the highest possible speeds (which is going to
    require a LOT more money.

    Don't let this long list intimidate you; just go along step by step.

    I am posting this on a system using
    aBit TH7-II (Intel 850 chipset) motherboard
    Pentium 4 2.6 GHz 400 MHz FSB Northwood CPU
    PC800 RDRAM 640 MBytes
    Stock CPU cooling
    450 Watt Antec Power Supply

    I selected a clock speed in the BIOS of 121 MHz, giving a CPU speed of 121
    MHz X 26 = 3146 MHz. The CPU will overclock to a higher speed, but the
    memory will not. To reach a higher CPU speed requires setting the memory
    clock/CPU clock ratio to other than 1, which reduces performance. Since I
    just want improved AND reliable performance and not the highest possible
    clock speed, 3146 suits me fine, though with async setting 3.5 GHz is easily
    reached.

    Good luck.

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, Sep 5, 2005
  4. potnisanish

    potnisanish Guest

    Thank you sooooooooooooooo much!

    potnisanish, Sep 6, 2005
  5. potnisanish

    Phil Weldon Guest

    Corrected version of original post (minor changes) on how to overclock an
    Intel CPU

    #1. Raising the CPU voltage can destroy your CPU. NEVER raise the CPU
    voltage more than 15% above the default voltage specified by Intel.
    If you do raise it, do it in very small steps.

    #2. Raising the CPU clock speed will NOT damage your Intel CPU,
    motherboard, memory, or anything else. If you raise the clock speed too
    much, the system will either not run in a stable manner, or will fail to

    #3. In overclocking, make any changes in small steps, checking for proper
    operation after each change.

    #4. Overclocking works best when the CPU temperature is kept as low as
    possible.

    #5. Intel CPUs can ONLY be overclocked by raising the clock speed. Even if
    the multiplier can be set in the BIOS, changing this settings has NO effect.

    #6. Some older motherboards may report an incorrect speed for CPUs that
    have a higher speed than available when the BIOS was installed.

    #7. Intel CPUs have a quad-pumped memory bus; that means data is transfered

    #8. The rated speed of the installed memory can limit the overclock.
    Memory can be overclocked, but it will eventualy reach a limit. Faster
    memory can be installed, but the cost may not be worth it. The memory clock
    can be set to a lower ratio (with some motherboards) to allow higher clock
    speeds, but there is a performance penalty.

    A reasonable goal for your CPU is 3.33 GHz. With luck and good cooling over
    3.5 GHz should be possible.

    How you overclock depends on the specifics of your system, how much patience
    you have, and much attention you pay to details.

    A general approach:

    * Download and install MotherBoard Monitor 5 (free) at
    http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ . This will allow you to monitor and
    record the CPU speeds, fan speeds, CPU temperature (and perhaps motherboard,
    memory, and other temperatures), and voltages. The power supply voltages
    reported by MotherBoard Monitor 5 should meet the specifications of ATX12V
    that can be found at
    http://www.formfactors.org/developer/specs/ATX12V_PSDG_2_2_public_br2.pdf

    * Download and install SiSoft Sandra (free) at
    http://www.sisoftware.net/ . This program is a collection of
    information gathering applets for your system. It also has low level tests
    of performance, as well as stress tests (necessary to establish proper
    operation when the CPU is operating at full capacity. I find version 2004
    more useful than 2005, but 2004 is hard to find now.

    * Use MotherBoard Monitor 4 and SiSoft Sandra because the vast majority of
    the people who use this forum also use these applications

    * Read the manual carefully.

    * Clean the heatsink fins, and fans of all dust, grease, and dirt.

    * Write down the settings in the BIOS.

    * Write down the temperature and voltage information from MotherBoard
    Monitor 5.

    #0. The standard setup for PCI bus and AGP bus speeds are fractions of
    the clock speed. Make sure the PCI/AGP Bus speeds are instead locked at 33
    MHz/66 MHz; if the PCI bus speed is more than 36 MHz corruption of data on
    your hard drives can occur.

    #1. Increase the clock speed by 5%.

    #2. Reboot and check for proper operation.

    #3. If #2 is successful, repeat #1.

    #4. If #2 is not successful, raise the CPU core voltage by 0.05 volts
    #6.)

    #5. Go to #2.

    #6. You have reached the limit of overclocking without changing other
    factors which may include CPU cooling, System cooling, memory settings.
    Installing memory capable of higher clock speeds may help. On the other
    hand, some of these changes may be expensive, and not worth the money for
    the possible performance increase.

    * After reaching the highest speed, check operation under full CPU load (use
    SiSoft Sandra burn-in, other burn-in programs, or intense action 3D
    accelerated first-person shooter games.) If the system is not stable under
    heavy load, try reducing the clock speed and/or CPU core voltage (higher
    voltage means higher operating temperatures.)

    * Check the installation of the CPU heatsink; new heatsink compound may help
    CPU cooling. Find directions for using heatsink compound on the internet.

    #1. Higher performance at little or no expense with your present
    system.

    #2. Just because you can, and enjoy experimenting

    #3. Bragging rights - the highest possible speeds (which is going to
    require a LOT more money.

    Don't let this long list intimidate you; just go along step by step.

    I am posting this on a system using
    aBit TH7-II (Intel 850 chipset) motherboard
    Pentium 4 2.6 GHz 400 MHz FSB Northwood CPU
    PC800 RDRAM 640 MBytes
    Stock CPU cooling
    450 Watt Antec Power Supply
    With a room ambient temperature of ~ 26 C

    idle temperatures
    CPU 40 C
    motherboard 34 C
    memory 31 C

    heavy load temperatures
    CPU 51 C
    motherboard 38 C
    memory 33 C

    Phil Weldon, Sep 6, 2005
  6. potnisanish

    potnisanish Guest

    Thanks again.

    potnisanish, Sep 6, 2005
  7. potnisanish

    Dave Guest

    He apologises for existing and wasting your time.

    Dave, Sep 7, 2005
  8. potnisanish

    dawg Guest

    No spoon feeding!! If you are clueless about overclocking,don't do it until
    you understand the basics. You could damage your system. Try searching
    Google "overclocking".

    dawg, Sep 7, 2005