Need suggestions on gaming laptop/feedback on powerpro m 5:6

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Venu, May 26, 2004.

  1. Venu

    Venu Guest

    Hi all,
    Am trying to get myself a good gaming laptop for a max budget of
    2000$. After some amount of research - I saw that the Sager 5790 and
    the Powerpro M5:6 (see http://www.powernotebooks.com) seemed to be the
    best bets. I did spend some time checking fujitsu's lifebook N 5010
    with that amazing screen (saw at fry's) but decided I get a much
    better bang for the buck with sager/powerpro. The advantage with
    powerpro is that it's Pentium M dothan 1.7Ghz so is lighter, saves
    battery but great performance is what I hear (with the 128MB ATI 9700
    radeon mobility).

    All the laptop experts :) here, I'd like to hear if you have any other
    suggestion (max 2000! wifecontrol in effect ;) cant be overridden ) OR
    if you've used powerpro - wht your experience is. I'm thinking of
    getting thru powernotebooks coz they seem to have great customer
    reviews, and the sales person I'm talking to responds promptly.

    If you want to reply to me directly - please do not to reply to the
    email ID above, it's spam-infested. Mail me at
    mvenugopalNOSPAM-AT-gmailOHYEAHdotcom (remove the NOSPAM-AT- and
    OHYEAH :) - its gmail)

    And some other Q's
    -does it really make a diff b/w a 4200 and a 5400 RPM drive?
    -is it wise to just keep a DVD/CD-RW instead of going for a DVD-RW at
    this point because those prices are falling and I could get an
    external drive later?

    thanks a ton!
    venu

    Venu, May 26, 2004

  2. | Hi all,
    | Am trying to get myself a good gaming laptop for a max budget of
    | 2000$. After some amount of research - I saw that the Sager 5790 and
    | the Powerpro M5:6 (see http://www.powernotebooks.com) seemed to be the
    | best bets. I did spend some time checking fujitsu's lifebook N 5010
    | with that amazing screen (saw at fry's) but decided I get a much
    | better bang for the buck with sager/powerpro. The advantage with
    | powerpro is that it's Pentium M dothan 1.7Ghz so is lighter, saves
    | battery but great performance is what I hear (with the 128MB ATI 9700
    | radeon mobility).
    |
    | All the laptop experts :) here, I'd like to hear if you have any other
    | suggestion (max 2000! wifecontrol in effect ;) cant be overridden ) OR
    | if you've used powerpro - wht your experience is. I'm thinking of
    | getting thru powernotebooks coz they seem to have great customer
    | reviews, and the sales person I'm talking to responds promptly.

    I just recently made the same step, and the best looking deal I could find
    was a eMachines m6809. Don't let the name scare you. They are completely
    manufactured by Arima. It only has a Radeon 9600, but it also has the 64bit
    CPU. If battery life is a concern, you would not be interested though. With
    the Athlon64, it drains the battery quickly.

    | If you want to reply to me directly - please do not to reply to the
    | email ID above, it's spam-infested. Mail me at
    | mvenugopalNOSPAM-AT-gmailOHYEAHdotcom (remove the NOSPAM-AT- and
    | OHYEAH :) - its gmail)
    |
    | And some other Q's
    | -does it really make a diff b/w a 4200 and a 5400 RPM drive?

    In a word, YES ( no mean to scream <wink>) The 4200RPM drive is a huge
    bottleneck on the system. If you can, shoot for a 7200 RPM.

    | -is it wise to just keep a DVD/CD-RW instead of going for a DVD-RW at
    | this point because those prices are falling and I could get an
    | external drive later?

    I would think the proces have gotten almost as low as they are going to get
    before being replaced with the dual layer DVD burners. You can already get
    an external DVD+/-RW for around $150 or less. I guess that would just be a
    matter of need. If you don't even any real use for the DVD burner, put that
    money to use somewhere else (7200RPM drive or more RAM? <wink>)

    | thanks a ton!
    | venu

    I hope any of that helped. Battery life and Weight seem to be a concern of
    yours, so in the end, you may want to steer clear of the m6809. But if they
    aren't at the top of your priority list, it is one mean $1500 machine!

    Jason Cothran, May 26, 2004