Need to boot to cd on Tiger MPX s2466

Discussion in 'Tyan' started by churchwell, Sep 17, 2003.

  1. churchwell

    churchwell Guest

    A friend asked me to fix his computer... he said it needed a new power
    supply and a reformat. Of course i told him no problem... ha

    he has the tiger mpx s2466 motherboard

    2 ide hard drives
    1 ide cd-rw

    currently installed in win xp pro - the person who set up the computer
    for him installed xp "just because he had it around" My friend owns
    win 2000, which is what we will be installing.

    ok so I put in the new power supply.. computer now starts up, finds
    memorey and all devices, but will only give me the options to either
    boot into windows xp or previous install on c:/ (this is with the
    win2000 cd in the drive or with my win xp cd in the drive.. )

    now i figure "oh, need to set bios to start up to cd.. duh" so I get
    into bios and it is set to boot to cd (cd drive is first on the list)

    the computer will not boot into windows at all now (this is the reason
    he asked me to refotmat for him) he recieves a error that the
    regestery cannot be found...

    the issue is HOW THE HECK DO I BOOT TO THE CD SO I CAN FORMAT AND
    INSTALL WINDOWS!!!!!!?????

    have a super day and thanks in advance for any help offered!

    churchwell, Sep 17, 2003

  2. churchwell

    Brian Guest

    There's probably quite a few ways you can do it, here are some ideas:

    -. Get a DOS boot disk and repartition/format the hard drive from there.
    You won't be using those partitions when you install (repartition in
    the Win2k setup), but it's a good way to get rid of the old install.
    Also try running "fdisk /mbr" to overwrite the NT boot loader which
    might be jumping in.

    -. Get a DOS boot disk and start the win2k setup program from there,
    instead of trying to boot to the CD.

    You probably want to do both.

    It's a good idea to wipe out everything before trying to install. The
    Win2k install is probably seeing the XP disk and saying, "I won't
    'downgrade' to an older version of windows".

    Brian, Sep 18, 2003