    The Original OS was Mac OS 9.2.2 and Mac OS X 10.2.4 and like I said above as far as I can tell it was the first IBook that had to run OS 9.2.2 only.
    I see a lot of gray installer cds on eBay for sale with 0S9.2.2.
    Besides my question as to order of OS 9 install and updating it to OS 9.2.2.. Is there a site apples or other that can tell me the part numbers of the original or other newer workable installer CDs that will work with this model?

    DJW, Jan 5, 2014

  2. As far as I can remember the last retail version of 9 was 9.2.1. There would
    be a gray 9.2.2 installer disk for that laptop, and only that laptop.
    Finding the correct one will be a real problem. You have to identify the
    exact number of the disk and find one that matches it.

    To boot OS9 and OSX, you need to install OS9 first. Then you install OSX over
    it. The you have dual boot and classic, once you open the classic control
    panel and set it up.

    To boot only OSX, you need the 10.3 or 10.4 CDs since you have a
    CD only drive. 10.4 CDs were never sold retail, you had to buy a DVD and
    send it and postage back to Appple to exchange it for a CD set.

    Once you have OSX installed, you can insert an OS 9.2.1 retail CD and
    it will install itself for classic mode. It will then install the OS9.2.2
    update.

    Note that if I have the model correct, then LowEndMac says it will boot
    OS 9.2.1:

    http://lowendmac.com/pb2/12in-ibook-g3-900-apr-2003.html

    The page title is 900 but it also covers the 800/CD ones too.

    Easiest thing to do is to put the 9.2.1 disk in the drive and hold down
    C when it boots. Then try to run the installer. If you don't actually want
    to install it, quit the installer before it starts the actual install.

    Geoff.

    Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jan 5, 2014

  3. Apple started making hardware-specific install disks to prevent you from
    doing just what you describe. The gray system install disks only work
    on the machine for which they are made. So the 9.2.1 Install Disk for
    my G4 would not work on your iBook. You would need to buy the original
    iBook replacement install disks from Apple if they're available or from
    eBay. Be sure to get the disks that are for your iBook model.

    After Apple started selling their OS install disks for 10.{3,4,5,6},
    they packaged those with white disks. Those will install on any
    machine. Apple sold those disks and some have become quite rare going
    for hundreds of dollars on eBay.

    Install 10.4.11, which is the last version of MacOS that will run on
    your system. Then install OS 9 on the machine and you'll be able to run
    Classic applications under MacOS X and dual boot OS 9 or MacOS X.

    Michael Vilain, Jan 5, 2014
  4. Wow, I never knew that, thanks. I've always used the OSX disk tools/utility
    to format the drive and selected the install OS9 drivers, then installed
    OS9, then OSX.

    That saves a lot of steps.

    Thanks,

    Geoff.

    Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jan 5, 2014
  5. DJW

    Király Guest

    That's not completely true; I've had luck using an eMac's install disc
    on an iBook, and a G4 iMac's install disc on an eMac. Not all of them
    work, but many do.

    DJW, Jan 6, 2014
  7. Well, there's a difference between buying something you _know_ will work
    that's built to run on any machine and buying something that _may_ work
    (gods, Apple, and architecture willing). I suppose if it's $5 plus $5
    postage, it'd be worth the risk. That's up to the OP. But knowing that
    the gray disks are specific to specific types of machines without some
    sort of compatibility matrix ahead of time seems like a crap shoot to
    me. Only Apple knows how many platform-specific versions of the install
    disk they made. Now the OP knows that it might be better to get the
    disks from Apple than on eBay.

    On a side note, there are some resellers that sell old software disks.

    http://www.megamacs.com/macos.php

    I have no idea if the OEM 9.2.2 disks will work. The gray iMac 10.4
    disks probably won't.

    Michael Vilain, Jan 6, 2014
  8. The biggest problem that I see is that the gray disks were all DVDs.
    The OP's iBook only has a CD drive.

    There were no Macs sold with CD only drives by the time 10.4 came out.

    Apple never sold retail 10.4 disks. In order to get a set (there are 4),
    you had to buy a retail DVD, and send it back to Apple with postage.

    Then they would send you a set.

    OS9 was all CD's except for a DVD of 9.2.2 for classic installation. It
    had many localized versions of OS9. It was NOT bootable. I don't think it
    was shipped with OSX, but it might have been with the last G4's.

    Geoff.

    Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jan 6, 2014
  9. DJW

    Barry OGrady Guest

    www.everymac.com is a good source for that sort of information.
    OSX 10.2.8 will install on my G3 Powerbook 233 Mhz so it will
    certainly work on your iBook.

    -
    If you don't like what I say you can go know yourself!

    Barry OGrady, Jan 7, 2014
  10. DJW

    DJW Guest

    First off thanks for the information. All my installer disc both OS 9.2.1 and OS 10.3 and 10.4 are on CD only not DVD. I did try to run the OS 9.2.1 installer CD by c key down at start up and it did boot and seemed to work. Ihave an external monitor mirrored and it showed a desktop back ground but no mounted volumes or cursor arrow. Not a concern at this point. It seems with all the web investigation I have been doing is that the addition of .2 from 1 had to do with the video hardware in the IBOOK but not sure. I did not try to run the installer due to not being sure at what point I could cancel the install without doing a permanent change to the hard drive. But it seems to work with 9.2.1 other than allowing the external monitor to be totally mirrored. I got the idea it had to have 9.2.2 only to run from:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1835
    Look down to iBook (32 VRAM) and or iBook (Early 2003) on the column. This is were I got the idea if I even tried to boot the OS 9.2.1 installer CD I would in all likelihood see a question mark in the center of the screen at startup.

    Do I gather that it really does not matter from you first saying OS 9 should be install and then later you said OS 10 first then 9? Will work either way. Like I said if I can install 9.2.1 and then update either before or after 10.3 I would be happy and all OK. Another thought if I used my 10.3 install discs and wiped the hard drive and checked the OS 9 box and then went ahead and installed 10.3 and then later just dragged a copy of the original OS 9 system folder would that work? I dragged copied the OS 9 current system folder over to an external USB hard drive and it copied but does not showas “Blessed” with the 9 logo on the folder. Makes me want to the old days where a simple drag and drop of a system folder onto a volume made it bootable. Have had Macs from early OS 4 to beyond and think I remember up to8.5 being drag able but not sure about 9. All you may have needed to switch an OS over to a particular machine was a possible enabler file for that machine in the system folder also a drag and droppable thing.

    DJW, Jan 7, 2014

  11. What has always worked for me was to format it with the OS X disk utility
    and check the OS9 drivers box.

    Then install OS9 from a CD.

    Then install OSX from a CD or DVD depending upon the computer.

    I have only done it the other way once, that was for a G4 Mini I just got,
    but it won't boot OS9 anyway.

    Geoff.

    Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jan 7, 2014
  12. Salut DJW

    maybe the iBook G3 in question is not USB bootable.
    You might want to try a FireWire drive,

    Cheers
    Andreas

    Andreas Rutishauser, Jan 8, 2014
  13. Only the Intel machines are USB bootable. It's Firewire or CD/DVD.

    Michael Vilain, Jan 8, 2014
  14. DJW

    Guest Guest

    it isn't, at least not without a *lot* of effort.

    Guest, Jan 8, 2014
  15. XPostFacto might do it, which probably would qualify for a lot of effort.
    :)

    It would boot OS9 off of the local hard drive, and then boot OSX off of
    other drive. I've done it with SCSI, never tried it with USB. (no longer
    have the hardware).

    Geoff.

    Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jan 8, 2014
  16. DJW

    Guest Guest

    if only t were that easy.

    you have to tell open firmware the uuid of the drive, and you have to
    do that each time you boot. it's not impossible but it's also not at
    all practical.

    Guest, Jan 8, 2014