    ABCD lights) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks!

    -BP

    BrachPhotography, Feb 14, 2006

  2. BrachPhotography

    S.Lewis Guest

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4700/sm/syssetup.htm#wp1052347

    I take it that it would be no help to have the systems timed to "auto on"
    w/o the magic packet? As you've pointed out, that machine is only designed
    to WOL from standby or hibernate.

    I'm not entirely surprised, as this is a function I'd expect to more likely
    be needed in an Optiplex model.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Feb 14, 2006

  3. These Dimension 4700 PCs are going to be used in an upcoming museum
    installation. We have a total of 30-ish PCs (14 Dimension 4700's and
    the rest are Optiplex PCs) that will be used for video, interactive
    stuff.

    I was able to grab a 3Com NIC from our stock and stick it in the system
    only to get the ACT and PWR lights to come on, but was unable to get it
    to boot from the Magic Packet utility. This is fustrating to me
    because I'm sure that my boss wants to have these puppies WOL and not
    set to auto turn on. We have no PXE server and the exhibit most likely
    will not. I will check with him and see what he says.

    Any other advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

    -BP

    BrachPhotography, Feb 14, 2006
  4. in the bios/setup program you should see a section regarding 'power
    management'. in that section is 'remote wake up' with options of 'on',
    'off', or 'on with boot to nic'. i get the immpression that you are looking
    under 'onboard devices' and becoming confused about the nic option there for
    'on', 'off', or 'on w/pxe' which is irrelevant for wol.
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4700/sm/syssetup.htm#wp1052347

    Christopher Muto, Feb 15, 2006
  5. BrachPhotography

    S.Lewis Guest

    Chris -

    The docs suggest that the machine can only utilize WOL from standby or
    hibernation. He's wanting to cold boot the machines.

    Did I miss something easy?

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Feb 15, 2006
  6. BrachPhotography

    aran88988 Guest

    Had the same problem here with some Optiplex models. Once the WO
    setting was On in the Bios it should have worked straight off but th
    card didn't get any power.
    I had to go into the BIOS and turn the Low Power setting On and bac
    OFF for the card to get power??

    Hope this helps

    aran88988, Feb 15, 2006
  7. BrachPhotography

    PeterD Guest

    IIRC, you may need a jumper cable from the nic to the motherboard as
    well.

    PeterD, Feb 15, 2006
  8. BrachPhotography

    S.Lewis Guest

    I don't think the system board has that capability; or at least I know I've
    never seen a PCI NIC in that machine with the needed cable/plug to the mb.

    I have seen plenty of Optiplex rigged that way.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Feb 15, 2006
  9. BrachPhotography

    S.Lewis Guest

    The OP is working with the Dimension integrated NIC - if I understand
    correctly. I admit I wondered if the install of a 3COM 3C9XX PCI card (if
    it could be plugged to the system board) would have any effect at all.......

    ?

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Feb 15, 2006
  10. Stew,
    I haven't tried it but I didn't see anything in the specs sugesting that it
    does not wol regardless of the mode. The fact that he mentioned PXE made me
    think he was looking at the integrated device settings rather than the power
    management settings. What documentation are you refering to? Makes me want
    to go out and try this... I thought that all modem computers were capable
    of wol these days, as long as you enable it. However it could be a Dell
    bios 'feature' to limit wol on the Dimensions to distinguish them from the
    Optiplex line.

    Christopher Muto, Feb 16, 2006
  11. BrachPhotography

    S.Lewis Guest

    Chris -

    Specifically, when I was reading the documents/system setup options for the
    4700, I believe it made a direct reference that WOL could only be utilized
    from the standby or hibernation states. ? This was under the "power
    management" section of system setup.

    Now here's the thing - in the "old days" before integrated NICs were
    standard on Dimensions, I thought I recalled 3COM PCI NICs in some of those
    machines with a cord/wire plugged to the mb. This is back in the beige box
    days, though. I assumed this configuration to be for WOL capes.

    Problem is with the 4700, I cannot see why a PCI NIC should provide any
    function that the integrated NIC would not, and also I have no clue as to
    whether the system board on that machine even has a pin header for WOL.

    It just appears (from the docs and configs I've seen) that the model has
    only the standby and hibernation WOL and that's all.

    If I get a chance today, I'll go up and dig around in some comparable
    Optiplex model BIOS options and see if they will WOL from a cold boot.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Feb 16, 2006
  12. In the link above, scroll down to:

    /*
    Remote Wake Up

    This option allows the computer to power up when a NIC or Remote
    Wakeup-capable modem receives a wake up signal.

    On is the default setting. On w/ Boot to NIC allows the computer to
    attempt to boot from a network prior to using the boot sequence.

    NOTE: The computer can be powered up remotely from the suspend or
    standby modes only.

    Suspend Mode

    The options are S1, a suspend state where the computer is running in a
    low-power mode, and S3, a standby state where the power is reduced or
    turned off for most components, however, system memory remains active.
    */

    The only way around this that I can see is to use S3 (for instance)
    instead of powering down, as it looks the same from the outside
    (lights turn off, drives stop spinning, fans stop, etc), but the OP
    didn't seem to want to use that option.

    Ethernet-controlled power switches would be another option, but this
    computer doesn't seem to support "power on after a power failure" mode
    either.

    William P.N. Smith, Feb 16, 2006