    adjust their speed based on the case temperature. I recall that Fred
    Langa was discussing these fans a year or so back.

    Any suggestions?

    Ajax, Dec 1, 2005

  2. Ajax

    w_tom Guest

    Visit electronic supply houses such as Allied Electronics,
    Newark, Jamesco, Digikey, or Mouser. Notice all the fans of
    same size and voltage have numerous other parameters such as
    noise and CFM. All sources available on-line.

    w_tom, Dec 1, 2005

  3. Ajax

    Paul Guest

    For removal, the only suggestion I've seen, that makes intuitive
    sense, is to run the motherboard for a few minutes, to warm up
    the CPU and the heatsink. The thinking is, this will make the
    dried thermal grease/paste a bit more pliant. A ten minute run
    should be enough, followed by shutdown, unplug, and an immediate
    attempt to remove it. But the assembly will cool so quickly,
    maybe this really doesn't help...

    It is a tough call, as to the best method of removal. You'll find
    enough tales, about pulling on the assembly, and yanking the whole
    thing right out of the still-closed socket. I don't know of a totally
    risk free way to break the fit between the grease and the silicon
    die. Anything I suggest, could still damage it. Twisting the heatsink
    is one possibility, and that applies a more uniform force to the
    face of the die, than perhaps a rocking motion. But the material
    scraped off by the edge of the die, implies there is still a
    possibility for some damage at the edge. A rocking motion, or putting
    pressure on one side of the heatsink, might chip the edge of the die.

    If the interface material was phase change, and not grease, it
    would be a different problem again. I might just try pulling
    straight up on that, because I don't know how hard the phase
    change stuff gets when it is cold. Twisting against a solid
    interface material sounds much more dangerous.

    Depending on the design, some fans have screws that hold the
    fan in place. The screws fit between the fins of the heatsink.
    You can remove the screws, and replace the fan, without pulling
    the whole thing. In some cases, there is a frame around the
    heatsink and fan, which might make in-place removal of the
    fan impossible. The only risk I see with in-place repair,
    is the possibility of scraping some aluminum flakes off the
    heatsink, when reinstalling the screws. The screws are self-tapping,
    and there are no machined threads on the heatsink in that
    case.

    Good luck,
    Paul

    Paul, Dec 1, 2005
  4. Ajax

    midol Guest

    yes, don't pull the heat sink off the chip. all the cpu fans I've had
    are attached by screws. if you can take out the screws and remove the
    fan this is a much lower risk approach than prying a working chip free
    from its heat sink (which works ok, right?). Then replace the fan only.
    baking the cpu is an expensive mistake

    midol, Dec 1, 2005
  5. Ajax

    Ajax Guest

    Is there a standard fan size for the socket-A fans? I would have no
    problem leaving the heat sink in place if I could find a replacement
    fan.

    Ajax, Dec 2, 2005
  6. Ajax

    w_tom Guest

    Your answer was already provided: Allied Electronics, Newark
    Electronics, Jamesco, Digikey, or Mouser. Furthermore, they
    provide links to actual fan manufacturers who will have an
    even larger inventory described in their web sites. The fan
    industry uses standard dimensions.

    w_tom, Dec 2, 2005