need to use AFUDOS bios update -- no FDD

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Steve, Apr 30, 2006.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Hi

    I have an Asus S-presso with P4P8T motherboard. Nice inexpensive and quiet
    PC all in all - only trouble is I would like to keep the BIOS updated and
    heres the catch

    - Windows asus update utility wont go past 1003 due to known bug
    - Asus tech advice is to use AFUDOS to get to good version of BIOS (1006)
    - S-presso does not support FDD (no available FDD socket on the motherboard)

    My questions are:

    1. Is there a way of creating a WinXP command line bootable CD-ROM similar
    to the WinXP boot floopy.

    2. Can AFUDOS be run in a WinXP command prompt

    Regards
    Steve

    Steve, Apr 30, 2006

  2. Steve

    ohaya Guest

    Hi,

    I don't have an S-presso, but can you set it to boot from a USB floppy
    in BIOS? If you can, then maybe that'll work for you if you get a USB
    floppy drive?

    Other than that, if you can make a boot floppy on another machine (you
    can get boot disks from http://www.bootdisk.com), then use Nero to burn
    a bootable image of the floppy, including the flash program and the BIOS
    binary file to a CD. Then you can boot the S-presso from the CD, and
    run the flash program from there.

    Jim

    ohaya, Apr 30, 2006

  3. Steve

    Paul Guest

    Are you sure there is no floppy connector ? If I look
    at the manual, and also in a picture of the P4P8T, I
    see a floppy connector next to the two IDE connectors.
    There is an ITE8712F Super I/O chip, and I think that
    is the chip that would drive the floppy connector.

    Paul

    Paul, May 1, 2006
  4. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Its in the picture of the board -- but if you look at the PCB its got the
    pads for the connector but the socket is not populated.

    Steve, May 1, 2006
  5. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Of course -- USB FDD. Not sure if this is an option but will give it a go!

    There is also the S-Presso built in smart card reader
    I have Iomega hotburn -- will check if this will do bootable CD's

    Steve, May 1, 2006
  6. Steve

    Steve Guest

    USB FDD boots okay -- problem solved

    Thanks for pointing out the obvious solution - I might not have considered
    it not realising that USB FDD's are treated identically to internal FDD's.
    Cheers
    Steve

    Steve, May 1, 2006
  7. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Thanks Jim -- bought a USB FDD and it does indeed behave entirely like an
    internal FDD at least for the S-presso (P4P8T) BIOS.
    Cheers
    Steve

    Steve, May 2, 2006
  8. Steve

    John Malone Guest

    FYI
    Go here...
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Look for......
    Need To Flash Your BIOS On A PC With No 1.44 Read.1st

    Sorry I was late with the Info 8(
    --
    John Malone
    ==============

    John Malone, May 3, 2006
  9. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Thanks John -- found it earlier -- bootdisk is a great site. USB FDD did the
    trick though thankfully as much simpler for me.

    Steve, May 3, 2006
  10. Steve

    John Malone Guest

    No Problem Steve...
    I just burn to CD and boot from that..
    Just wanted you to know about the bootdisk site.
    --
    John Malone
    ==============
    | Thanks John -- found it earlier -- bootdisk is a great site. USB FDD did
    the
    | trick though thankfully as much simpler for me.
    |

    | | > FYI
    | > Go here...
    | > http://www.bootdisk.com/
    | >
    | > Look for......
    | > Need To Flash Your BIOS On A PC With No 1.44 Read.1st
    | >
    | > Sorry I was late with the Info 8(
    | > --
    | > John Malone
    | > ==============
    | > |
    | > | I have an Asus S-presso with P4P8T motherboard. Nice inexpensive and
    | > quiet
    | > | PC all in all - only trouble is I would like to keep the BIOS updated
    | > and
    | > | heres the catch
    | > |
    | > | - Windows asus update utility wont go past 1003 due to known bug
    | > | - Asus tech advice is to use AFUDOS to get to good version of BIOS
    | > (1006)
    | > | - S-presso does not support FDD (no available FDD socket on the
    | > motherboard)
    | > |
    | > | My questions are:
    | > |
    | > | 1. Is there a way of creating a WinXP command line bootable CD-ROM
    | > similar
    | > | to the WinXP boot floopy.
    | > |
    | > | 2. Can AFUDOS be run in a WinXP command prompt
    | > |
    | > | Regards
    | > | Steve
    | > |