Need to worry about HDD? "The driver detected a controller erroron \Device\Harddisk1\D." in XP Pro.

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Ant, Oct 21, 2007.

  1. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Hello!

    I noticed most of the HDD controller errors occur during shutdown on my
    dad's old Toshiba Satellite P15-S470 notebook/laptop. A few of these
    errors even came up during the boot up. The computer only has one HDD, a
    D: DVD burner drive, and sometimes an external USB flash drive/stick.

    Exported Windows XP's System Event Logs with the sections that look
    suspicious can be found here: http://pastebin.ca/744908 ... I attached
    SpeedFan v4.32's online HTML SMART results (overall good) in this
    newsgroup post.

    What do you think? Thank you in advance. :)
    --
    "At high tide the fish eat ants; at low tide the ants eat fish." --Thai
    Proverb
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address:
    ( ) or

    Ant, Oct 21, 2007

  2. Ant

    Rod Speed Guest

    That the drive appears to be fine from the SMART report.

    The XP event log is likely just mindlessly rabbiting on about something that doesnt matter.

    I'd normally see what the diagnostic has to say in this
    situation, but thats likely a problem with a Toshiba laptop.
    Stop smirking, boy.

    Rod Speed, Oct 22, 2007

  3. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Are you talking about the Toshiba's diagnostics utility? If so, then I
    will have to find it. :) [smirks for Rod]
    --
    "Your parents were killed by ants?" --Idle Hands movie
    /\___/\

    Ant, Oct 22, 2007
  4. Ant

    Rod Speed Guest

    Thats the hard part.

    Rod Speed, Oct 22, 2007
  5. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Wait, do I want diagnostic program for the whole laptop/notebook or just
    the HDD?
    --
    "Left right left right we're army ants. We swarm we fight. We have no
    home. We roam. We race. You're lucky if we miss your place." --Douglas

    Ant, Oct 22, 2007
  6. Ant

    Rod Speed Guest

    Whatever you can find, given the problem with toshiba and diags, and
    the fact that the event log is whining about a problem with the controller.
    In theory the HDD diag should cover that, bit it may well not see a
    problem given that the event log only whines about it at shutdown.

    Rod Speed, Oct 22, 2007
  7. Just the hard drive.

    You are looking for something that does not exist.

    Barry Watzman, Oct 22, 2007
  8. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Are you saying Toshiba doesn't make HDD utilities? :(

    --
    "For an ant to have wings would be his (her) undoing." --Iranian
    /\___/\

    Ant, Oct 23, 2007
  9. Pretty much, yes. Toshiba has not, in the past, offered diagnostics for
    their hard drives.

    Barry Watzman, Oct 23, 2007
  10. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Wow, what's up with that? Since I never used Toshiba HDDs before. How
    good are they? Are they reliable? Good warranty?

    So, do you guys just use third party to test HDDs like chkdsk/scandisk,
    Norton Disk Doctor, SpinRite, etc.?

    --
    "Ants never lend, ants never borrow." --unknown
    /\___/\

    Ant, Oct 23, 2007
  11. Ant

    Rod Speed Guest

    God knows, one of the weirder things we've seen in years.
    Pretty average.
    Pretty average.
    Nope, I personally use a decent SMART ute like Everest.

    Some of the other hard drive manufacturer's diags will do the basics on any drive.

    Rod Speed, Oct 23, 2007
  12. Ant

    me/2 Guest

    :>Are you saying Toshiba doesn't make HDD utilities? :(

    Up until last year I had worked for 10 years at a Toshiba Premier
    Notebook ASP. Even we were unable to get any kind of hard drive
    diagnostic software from Toshiba for their own drives. We had no
    problem getting diagnostic software for the non-Toshiba drives such as
    Fujitsu, Seagate, Hitachi/IBM, etc. We ended up using Spinrite since
    it allowed us to make both bootable floppy disks or bootable CD discs.

    me/2

    :>On 10/22/2007 12:04 PM PT, Barry Watzman typed:
    :>
    :>> Just the hard drive.
    :>>
    :>> You are looking for something that does not exist.
    :>>
    :>>
    :>> Ant wrote:
    :>>> On 10/22/2007 12:32 AM PT, Rod Speed typed:
    :>>>
    :>>>>> Are you talking about the Toshiba's diagnostics utility?
    :>>>>
    :>>>> Yep.
    :>>>>

    me/2, Oct 24, 2007
  13. Well, Toshiba only makes laptop hard drives (e.g. 2.5"). They are not
    all that well regarded; not junk, but some other lines are more highly
    regarded (IBM/Hitachi among others).

    Generic diagnostics are absolutely useless with ANY modern hard drive;
    hard drives "lie", and what is seen by BIOS, Windows and diagnostics
    isn't what's really going on, making ALL diagnostics useless unless they
    can interrogate the drive using either S.M.A.R.T. protocols or the
    manufacturers proprietary protocols (of the diagnostics you listed, only
    Norton & SpinRite MIGHT be able to do that). All other diagnostics will
    show a perfect drive right up until it is failing catastrophically.

    Barry Watzman, Oct 24, 2007
  14. Barry Watzman wrote in news:471eb736$0$24319$
    Utterly clueless.

    Folkert Rienstra, Oct 24, 2007
  15. Ant

    Rod Speed Guest

    Wrong when the SMART data is used.
    So your original is just plain wrong.
    Mindlessly silly.
    Wrong if they use the SMART data from the drive.

    Rod Speed, Oct 24, 2007
  16. No, you are the one who is clueless. Modern hard drives do defect
    relocation to spare sectors and do not report their real status to
    diagnostics such as scandisk and checkdisk. A diagnostic using the
    manufacturer's protocols or S.M.A.R.T. can find out what is going on,
    but to a "dumb" diagnostic that simply tries to check the disk by
    reading every sector, the drive will appear perfect right up to the end,
    even though in fact it has been failing progressively for some period of
    time.

    Barry Watzman, Oct 24, 2007
  17. Obviously you didn't both read the part where I said "UNLESS they can
    interrogate the drive using either S.M.A.R.T. protocols"

    Otherwise, they lie about their health, and running a diagnostic like,
    for example, Scandisk, is absolutely useless for finding drive defects,
    although it will find file system structural defects (which are not the
    drive's problem).

    Barry Watzman, Oct 24, 2007
  18. Barry Watzman wrote in news:471fad66$0$11444$
    Which is just as worthless or useful as any other user program or
    generic testprogram reading or writing to the drive.
    Bad example. It's not a test program.
    Bwahahah. So what's the surface scan for, moron?

    [snip]

    Folkert Rienstra, Oct 24, 2007
  19. Barry Watzman wrote in news:471f95cd$0$9579$
    So what.
    Bwahahah, diagnostics? Idjut.
    Diagnostics give the drive a workout, a workout that's harder than you
    could ever establish by merely using it.

    Bart's disktool is a diagnostic, ie a testing program, scan/checkdisk is not.

    And perfect it is then. What would you want more? Have it lie to you?
    That's called normal service life, moron.
    They fail eventually -of wear and tear-, 'progressively', if they didn't
    they would live forever.

    [snip]

    Folkert Rienstra, Oct 24, 2007
  20. Ant

    Rod Speed Guest

    Corse I did, thats why I rubbed your nose in the stupidity
    of your original comment when ALL modern hard drives
    keep the SMART data and all the diag has to do is use it.
    No they dont when ALL modern hard drives keep the SMART data which
    is no lie on what has been reallocated and much more about the drive.
    Scandisk isnt a hard drive diagnostic.
    Wrong with sectors that cant be reallocated for whatever reason.
    But sectors which cant be successfully read are.

    Rod Speed, Oct 25, 2007