Need touchpad driver Toshiba P25-s570

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by mike, Sep 18, 2013.

  1. mike

    mike Guest

    I picked up a Toshiba Satellite P25-S570 laptop.
    Drive was dead, so I had to reload XP-sp3.
    I can't get the touchpad to scroll.
    Shows up as a generic PS/2 mouse.
    No help on the toshiba driver website.
    They have a Vista driver that won't load.
    I've tried Synaptics drivers from multiple
    sources and different release years.

    This appears to be an odd computer. The usual
    methods to select support on the Toshiba site by serial number
    or model number don't show any results. But there is
    a sparse driver page once you trip over it.

    Best I've come up with was
    Synaptics driver 14.0.3.0
    Shows up as a synaptics touchpad on PS/2 port.
    The configuration screen has only two entries.
    Overview >> patents
    Buttons >> swap left/right click times etc.

    Nothing about scrolling, hot zones etc. All the usual
    configuration extensions are missing.

    There are files in the driver directory with names
    that include the string "scroll".

    I miss the scrolling capability.
    Do I have any options to make this work?

    thanks, mike

    mike, Sep 18, 2013

  2. http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=p25-s570 ???

    Entering the actual serial number should get you to the right place.

    I've found that Toshiba's often use tweaked drivers and reference
    drivers won't work.

    the wharf rat, Sep 26, 2013

  3. P.S. - Sure it's Synaptics and not ALPS ?

    the wharf rat, Sep 26, 2013
  4. mike

    mike Guest

    "please try again. "Enter a valid model or serial number."
    serial number not found.
    model number not found, but if you go searching, there is a sparse page
    for it...with no xp touchpad driver.
    yep.

    Turns out the problem is solved.
    The vista driver on the driver page is for synaptics.
    Synaptics drivers install, they just don't support scrolling.
    And, yes, the solution turned out to be finding and installing
    the proprietary ALPS drivers for a different Toshiba laptop.

    Thanks, mike

    mike, Sep 26, 2013