need your input re Tablet PC - can I handwrite my emails ?

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by kimshapiro100, Apr 22, 2006.

  1. need your input re Tablet PC - can I handwrite my emails ?
    *************************************

    I am looking to buy a tablet PC so I can handwrite my emails as opposed
    to typing them in.
    I am very slow at typing.
    If this is not a feature on the tablet PC, there would be no need for
    me to buy it.
    Can I handwrite my emails instead of typing them on a tablet PC ?
    This is the MOST important feature for me.

    My needs are as follows:
    - constant email access
    - word, notepad
    - once in a month Power Point.

    So Mostly:
    emails and cut and paste word documents. That is it.
    I need to probably add a T Mobile or similar data card to access my
    email anywhere.

    Now for your input .....

    What would be the best value for me ?

    What brand ?
    What model ? or specifications ?
    Where to buy it from ?
    What price should it be roughly at ?

    Any help would be highly appreciated.

    I am not technical at all.

    Best wishes,
    Kim

    kimshapiro100, Apr 22, 2006

  2. kimshapiro100

    Chris H. Guest

    Yes, you can, Kim. You'll need Outlook 2003 on your system with Word
    running as your email editor and you might also want take a look at the
    Tablet Enhancements for Outlook program: http://www.tabletoutlook.com/ As
    for which Tablet PC, you might want to check out Tablet PC MVP Terri
    Stratton's comparison charts: http://thetabletpc.net where she's got all
    the latest information.

    Chris H., Apr 22, 2006

  3. Thanks for your quick input.

    I use gmail and yahoo mail for most of my emails. I am not technical.
    In the past I have lost my Outlook and OE emails and was never able to
    get them back.

    Can I handwrite my emails on gmail and yahoo mail ?
    Also how good is the handwriting recognition software these days ?

    Again since I am not technical I would like the tablet PC to be plug
    and play as opposed to me tinkering around to make it work. I find
    that I have no consistency when tackling technical issues. Sometimes I
    win, but mostly lose.

    Thanks
    Kim

    kimshapiro100, Apr 22, 2006
  4. kimshapiro100

    Mickey Segal Guest

    You can use web mail programs and Outlook Express with a Tablet PC. You
    enter text using the TabletPC Input Panel that pops up when the pen is in a
    TextField or TextArea.

    The text gets inserted as regular text, not handwriting.

    Chris seems to be referring to extra capabilities that you can get using
    Outlook 2003, but you can get basic email functionality without using
    Outlook. I have Outlook 2003 and use Outlook Express instead.

    Chris - for the Tablet-specific advantages to using Outlook 2003 are you
    referring to the ability to use Tablet Enhancements for Outlook
    (http://www.tabletoutlook.com/) and InkGestures
    (http://www.jumpingminds.com/InkGestures/index.htm)? Are there other
    Tablet-specific advantages to Outlook 2003?

    Mickey Segal, Apr 22, 2006
  5. kimshapiro100

    Chris H. Guest

    Correct, Mickey. Handwritten emails can be created (which I thought was the
    original question) in Outlook 2003 when using Word as the email editor.
    Write in Ink, send in Ink to recipients. TEO has additional enhancements
    within Outlook (that Microsoft seems to be missing out on) and InkGestures
    is an excellent editing program within Word itself. Great for copy editors,
    making quick changes in typed reports, etc.

    Chris H., Apr 22, 2006
  6. Only when using Word?
    I can not see any Differenz in so far when just using Outlook without
    Word as the editor.
    How does one do that?
    What's "TEO" standing for?

    Thanks
    Rainald

    Rainald Taesler, Apr 23, 2006
  7. kimshapiro100

    Chris H. Guest

    It is much easier if you keep the questions in one thread. :cool: Natively,
    Outlook 2003 and the use of Word allows users to have most of the Word
    functionalities including Ink emails, thereby expanding the capabilities of
    Outlook. Be cautious, though, when we talk of Outlook in this sense, we're
    meaning Outlook and not Outlook Express the native program which comes with
    the Windows XP operating system.

    For information on TEO - Tablet Enhancements for Outlook (now in version
    2.0) - you can check http://www.tabletoutlook.com/ .

    Chris H., Apr 23, 2006
  8. I'm so sorry to see that you think that I would not have kept to the
    (necessary <!>) standards.
    I'm new to the Tablet world, not the NewsGroups cosmos <gbg&d>.
    And I do not see that I'd have separated the discussion on a topic
    dealt with elsewhere (in my "Journal" thread). I just did jump in on
    the issues treated here (because of not being able to fully understand
    what you had been referring to) - not more, not less.
    As I said, I could not detect any differences.
    But - meanwhile <!> - I have an assumption on why:
    Having gone through the HLP etc. to me it seems that the culprit is
    *my* version of Office (especially WinWord). "Ink" functionality seems
    *not* to be available in the *German* version of WinWord ...

    I downloaded InkGestures meanwhile and did some basic testing.
    It does work partly only.
    AFAICS I'll have to check whether our campus licences do cover the
    English version. If I would gain "Ink" functionality, I would not
    hesitate to make the move away from the UI in my native language.
    I know the differences (only too well <!> [sigh]).
    My main mailer has been OE for very many long years (since it first
    appeared and since - approximately at the same time - we made the move
    from Token-Ring and Novell to Ethernet and Win NT). I'm having OL 2003
    too but I hardly use it for mail out of very many reasons (one of the
    major ones: Using NGs). But I use them combined: OE working with OL's
    "Contacts" instead of the rather dumb "WAB".
    Thanks a lot for this.
    Will immediately check it.

    Thanks again for your support.
    And please excuse me, should you still think that I would produce
    thread-thrift.

    Rainald
    www.hs-heilbronn.de/Members/taesler
    http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/publicProfile.do?userId=CA861383&forumId=2

    Rainald Taesler, Apr 23, 2006
  9. kimshapiro100

    Chris H. Guest

    :cool: No problem. I seem to have chucked away that you are running the
    German version. Make sure you have the Office 2003 Tablet PC Update:
    Improved Ink Recognition
    (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...79-34ad-494d-8108-80085ace23be&displaylang=en)
    installed, so it will help with additional context areas in your Office
    programs. The link above may go to the English site (my link), but there is
    a German listing in the drop-down box next to Change Language.

    Chris H., Apr 23, 2006
  10. How might you know?
    AFAICS I had not mentioned that before.
    Thanks!
    Will immeditely check that.
    The Language is no problem for *Me* - only for MS Office ;-)
    [siiiiigh].

    Rainald

    Rainald Taesler, Apr 23, 2006
  11. Hi Rainald, I am the author of TEO. If you have any questions about it, feel
    free to ask. I'm usually here, just been TCB these past few days.

    Thanks for the mention, Chris.

    Josh Einstein, Apr 23, 2006
  12. Great!
    I just downloaded and installed it.
    But I did not even try out what it does.
    Thanks a lot!
    Pls be assured that you'd hardly have a "silent" minute should I not
    get along with it. <gbg>.

    Rainald
    P.S. What I'm most seriously missing in the OS and the apps I got to
    know
    so far:
    "shorthand"-features" (i.e.: just using some 2 or 3 characters and the
    system expanding that into full text).

    Rainald Taesler, Apr 23, 2006
  13. Josh Einstein, Apr 23, 2006
  14. Thanks for the hint.
    Will download and try it.
    AFAICS there's quite something to learn being new to the TabletPC
    world and missing quite some things used to from an iPAQ PDA ...

    Rainald

    Rainald Taesler, Apr 25, 2006
  15. The nice thing about a tablet is that if you know how to use Windows XP, you
    already know how to use it. All the other stuff you learn is just bonus.

    Josh Einstein, Apr 25, 2006