    I will need the disk to save Excel files, text files, and chart images
    (possibly in Access or Oracle) to start with.

    thanking all in advance

    bullseye, Oct 30, 2003

  2. bullseye

    bullseye Guest

    oops:

    <snip>

    ..... a second internal one saying it ought to cost considerably "less than
    an external one with the same storage convenience".

    <snip>

    bullseye, Oct 30, 2003

  3. bullseye

    WSZsr Guest

    WSZsr, Oct 30, 2003
  4. bullseye

    bullseye Guest

    thank you for the quick reply; I shall save the link and study the steps.

    bullseye, Oct 30, 2003
  5. bullseye

    bullseye Guest

    RAID? GHOST? are these back up methods? (I just checked on Techweb.) No; I
    do not. I am making preliminary inquiries about the best way to back up my
    files while not breaking the bank. If by UPS you mean uninterrupted power
    supply, I use an APC Back-UPS Pro 500. If you wish to make a suggestion
    regarding RAID or GHOST implementation, I shall be all ears as I know
    nothing about them.

    bullseye, Oct 30, 2003
  6. bullseye

    PC Gladiator Guest

    It is good you are running a UPS. Relying on a hard drive for "backup"
    might prove disastrous should your system get nailed with an electrical
    surge. It happened to me.
    I would still copy very important files to a CD for safe keeping (offsite?).
    Digital pictures of your home and it's inventory in case of fire is always a
    good one to put in a safe deposit box.

    There are many different levels of "backup". You can just copy files to a
    second disk. You can use software like Ghost or Drive Image to make a
    complete duplicate image of another disk. You can use a RAID (Redundant
    Array of Inexpensive Disks) controller to mirror one drive to another drive
    in real time.

    Of course, each options carries with it increasing expense and learning.
    Many motherboards out there now offer an onboard RAID controller. The
    imaging software isn't all that expensive.

    PC Gladiator, Oct 30, 2003
  7. bullseye

    Tom Almy Guest

    Inexpensive and fast -- yes. Reliable? Well not if your system is
    stolen, burns in a fire, gets a virus, has a catastrophic power supply
    failure (or lightning strike), or a "friend" accidentally deletes all
    files. To be reliable, you need to back up to alternating sets of
    removable media, and keep it at another location.

    Tom Almy, Oct 31, 2003
  8. bullseye

    bullseye Guest

    I do not anticipate my system getting stolen (I sit infront of it everyday
    and it is a desktop). My online security may not be perfect, but I use a
    cable modem on a LinkSys router (I am told the router provides an automatic
    firewall), use ZoneAlarm, McAfee anti-virus, remote file sharing is off on
    the disk, and have turned off Wiindows Messenger. That ought to take care
    of on line security. I use a UPS so I do not anticipate my system to fry

    That leaves me with this search for storage without breaking my piggy bank.

    bullseye, Oct 31, 2003