Needing Advice Re: Ported Vista Applications for XP Pro or Home

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by jmohr, Oct 31, 2009.

  1. jmohr

    jmohr Guest

    I have a company that serves clients who use XP Pro or Home much of
    the time. These users require the ability to markup PDF documents.
    However, only XP Tablet Edition, Vista, etc. have the nessesary tools
    to accomplish this - namely Windows Journal and Journal Note Writer
    (the virtual printer). I have not yet discovered a download which will
    equip these XP user with these applications.

    However, I am also aware of a workaround that makes use of "ported"
    versions of the following Vista apps: Windows Journal, Sticky Note,
    Clipping Tool, Journal Note Writer, etc. I could use this workaround,
    but I am unsure about whether or not Microsoft will deem it an
    infrigment of the their EULA. These programs would allow these XP
    users to markup their documents.

    Only, now I ask a couple of questions here: Does anyone know if this
    would be permissable (in light of the EULA)? Or, perhaps, know of a
    place (link) that I could go to find out or get permission?

    Alternatively, if anyone knows of an download that could install
    Journal Note Writer on a regular XP, this could really help too.

    Thank you in advance for any advice that can help with these
    questions.

    John

    jmohr, Oct 31, 2009

  2. How and where shall the comments/annotations be made?
    On TabletPCs or in standard PCs??

    If TabletPCs the TabletPC version of XP or Vista/Win7 have to be
    installed.
    On "normal" PCs your idea can not work.
    IMHO the problem lies not in copyright.
    It's a *technical* problem.
    As said, the applications you have in mind require a TabletPC.

    Apart from Adobe Acrobat (which offers fine features for annotating) for
    commenting PDFs you may use the PDFAnnotator[1] a really great
    instrument. It works great with TabletPCs and normal PCs. I for one
    won't miss it.

    Rainald
    [1] http://www.ograhl.com/en/pdfannotator/

    Rainald Taesler, Nov 1, 2009

  3. jmohr

    jmohr Guest

    Thank you Rainald. You are onto something with the PDFAnnotator tool
    you mentioned. I did a quick search for other free pdf markup tools
    and came up with:

    http://download.cnet.com/Informatik-PDF-Markup/3000-10743_4-10801483.html

    and

    http://www.docu-track.com/home/prod_user/PDF-XChange_Tools/pdfx_viewer

    Both of these applications are free and I am going to test them out.
    This would solve my problem in having to work with a number of
    applications to edit pdfs - thus, accomplishing the same task, but
    with fewer steps.

    Regards.

    John

    jmohr, Nov 1, 2009
  4. Just test it. There is a fully functional 30-day-trial.
    And for what it offers the price IMO is really OK.

    I did a quick search for other free pdf markup tools
    Thanks for the references. I'll check them out.

    Rainald

    Rainald Taesler, Nov 1, 2009
  5. jmohr

    jmohr Guest

    I'm really liking the PDF-XChange Viewer. It's amazing what you get
    for free with this application - a really well thought out tool.

    John

    jmohr, Nov 3, 2009