Needs some assistance with Abit IS-7E dimm slot

Discussion in 'Abit' started by wild, Nov 11, 2003.

  1. wild

    wild Guest

    I have been using this motherboard IS-7E for almost 1mth+, running P-IV2.4C,
    FX-5800, Hitachi 82.3GB SATA, WinXP Pro. Okay, I have 2 pairs of 256MB x 2
    which one pair of 2x256MB is a Kingston HyperX 3500 using winbond BH-5
    chips, and the other is 2x256MB is a Cosair using Winbond BH-5 too,
    actually, I purposely seek high & low for these similarly chipset based
    dimms, even right till it's using the same PCB dual sided layout as my
    HyperX. Both are able to clocked at Cas-2-2-2-5 at v-dimm voltage 2.8v. But
    I wish to know is when I try to place all this 4 sticks of dimms into my 4
    dimms slot, my motherboard will not boot up, therefore, switching either
    pairs around will also not result in any posting, plus I'm using default
    DDR400 settings all at its minimal default so that I know whether its my ram
    or etc is causing any inability to boot. Then if I simply place any of the 2
    brands running Dual Channel, into dimm1 and dimm3, it will allow me to post
    w/o problems, so is it conclusive to say that maybe, my board dimm2 & dimm4
    is faulty? cos' it seem like not able to allow my Cosair to even solely
    occupied them to boot up except only allowing my HyperX? very weird right,
    btw, both brands of dimm is able to boot up in dimm1 & dimm3 running Dual
    Channel. Thus, anyone has encountered such issue? or can I RMA my board due
    to not allowing me to fully load up with all four dimms inserted? My board
    is updated to latest bios revision 18 and it's version 1.1 model.

    Thank you.

    wild, Nov 11, 2003

  2. wild

    Skid Guest

    My guess would be that even though the modules are the same, the SPD
    settings of the two brands are different and the bios is having trouble
    balancing them. It may or may not be relevant, but I've seen lots of reports
    of problems with Corsair on Intel 865 and 875 chipsets.

    First thing to try is flashing to the new IS7-E bios, just released today.
    If that doesn't help, I'd suggest selling the Corsair.

    Check the Intel chipset forum at www.forum.abit-usa.com for details.

    P.S., I'm using all four DIMM slots on my IC7 with BH-5, all Buffalo Tech
    PC3700. The only problem I have is that Abit has seen fit to disable PAT
    with all four slots filled, otherwise it works perfectly.

    P4C 2.4 @ 275x12=3.3 ghz. Memory 5:4, 220 mhz, 2,3,2,6, 2.8v.

    Skid, Nov 11, 2003

  3. wild

    wild Guest

    Thanks for your prompt reply, btw, the cosair is working perfectly if I
    inserted them alone even with set cas latency in BIOS cas 2-2-2-5 @2.8v but
    only in the dimm slots 1&3 for dual channel, if I decides to add another
    pair which is my Hyper-X 3500 BH-5 all round identical to my Cosair BH-5,
    the board simply doesn't boot up & post. As I've said, all BIOS settings
    were default loadings when I used both types of rams thus GAT is auto SPD
    auto. The reason I asking is I wish to confirm whether this 2nd and 4th dimm
    slots is indeed spolit so as I can RMA, as for BIOS update, I'd already
    flash it to the latest 18 from yesterday.

    wild, Nov 11, 2003
  4. wild

    TomG Guest

    set all of the timings under Advanced Chipset features to the highest
    numbers (3, 7, 3, 3 or whatever the highest is) for testing and then maybe
    you can bring them down. make sure PAT/GAT is on Auto.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 118,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Nov 11, 2003
  5. wild

    wild Guest

    nvm, I think I simply cannot get them working.
    anyway, anyone has any explaination regarding why my DDR FSB will not sync
    with CPU FSB when I chose option 1:1 and under GAT-Turbo, the CPUZ will
    eventually shows my DDR FSB being 5:4 and not 1:1

    wild, Nov 12, 2003
  6. wild

    Skid Guest

    I can tell you for a fact that CPU-Z occasionally reads the cpu:ram ratio
    wrong. I've seen that many times on my IC7.

    Skid, Nov 12, 2003
  7. wild

    TomG Guest

    the lack of sync is a known issue when using PAT and you might find that you
    get *better* performance with GAT/PAT to Auto and the bandwidth at 1:1

    TomG, Nov 12, 2003
  8. wild

    TomG Guest

    I hope it is that CPU-Z is reading it wrong as opposed to the actual timing
    getting flipped around on the fly...

    TomG, Nov 12, 2003
  9. wild

    Skid Guest

    I believe so, at least in my situation. I was playing around with NB Strap
    settings at the time, but the bios said I was locked at 5:4 and CPU-Z said
    1:1. Memory benches were exactly the same.

    Skid, Nov 13, 2003