    2004. Is there any reason why I have to have this update?

    Thanks!
    Scott

    Scott, Jan 16, 2005

  2. Yes. There were some serious security flaws in the earlier version - if
    you need the framework, update it (some fairly common software such as
    the later versions of Drive Image and ATI's Catalyst Control Center,
    require it - they were written for dot net --- whatever that is this week).

    Edward J. Neth, Jan 25, 2005

  3. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Ben,

    I ran the update to .NET 1.1 on my XP Pro GW desktop, as it was shown
    as an optional update. However, upon bootup, when the Welcome screen
    came on, it wanted me to click on the current administrator (or something
    like that), which I've never done before. It has always just shown
    the blue Welcome screen and continued booting. Also, my logon sound
    disappeared. So, I did a "Restore" back to just before the update, and
    everything is working as it was before. So maybe I don't even need
    or want this update. I don't use Drive Image. And maybe it's better to
    stick with the old adage: "If it ain't broke...don't fix it" :)

    Scott

    Scott, Jan 29, 2005
  4. Scott

    hippie Guest

    I'd run the update again. Always update!

    Then start----run-----"control userpasswords2" ( <---- no quotes!), and
    there you can uncheck users must log in with password, it will be like
    before.

    hippie, Jan 29, 2005
  5. Scott

    Scott Guest

    hippie,

    That sounds good, although with .NET update installed, it didn't ask for a
    password at bootup (which I never use). This particular update was listed as
    "optional", not critical, by Microsoft. Is there any way to know if I even
    need the "framework" setup at all on my system? I don't have any software
    that seems to be calling for it, or is not functioning properly.

    Scott

    Scott, Jan 29, 2005
  6. Scott

    hippie Guest

    Oh..... Look if it's on Add/Remove programs (called "Microsoft .Net
    ****" ). If you don't have it, no sense in getting it. :) (Until some
    software requires it....)

    hippie, Jan 29, 2005
  7. Scott

    Scott Guest

    hippie,

    You're right! I checked, and it's not listed under Add/Remove programs. The
    Update for .NET was a 23mb file, so it was probably the whole program. Since
    I don't have any software asking for it, I'll leave it off my computer for
    now.
    Thanks for your input!

    Scott

    Scott, Jan 30, 2005
  8. Scott

    hippie Guest

    No problem.

    :)

    hippie, Jan 30, 2005
  9. Scott

    Tweek Guest

    The .net framework sometimes creates a new user account called asp.net when
    it is installed. This will cause your machine to go to the login screen even
    if you only have one account and no password. If you reinstall .net and have
    that issue again, just go into user accounts and delete the asp.net account.
    It is not needed and I think it was just a glitch in earlier verstions.

    Tweek, Jan 30, 2005
  10. Scott

    S.Lewis Guest

    Yep. Thanks for reminding me of a fix for this annoyance that I had
    corrected some time ago - but once again resurfaced with the .Net update.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Jan 30, 2005
  11. Scott

    Tweek Guest

    No problem. It really annoyed me when I first saw it happen on my machine.
    For a few days, I never thought of looking in the user accounts to see if
    anything was odd there.

    Tweek, Jan 31, 2005
  12. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Tweek,

    Thanks for the good advice. I think, for now, I'll leave .net framework
    uninstalled, as none of my software seems to require it.

    Scott

    Scott, Feb 4, 2005