Netra T1, disk storage 68 pin to 80 pin adapter

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Fred, Mar 6, 2005.

  1. Fred

    Fred Guest

    I'd like to have a small unix server for my home network (email, file,
    small amount of web development).

    I"m currently looking at the Netra T1 on ebay, because they appear to
    be small, quiet and inexpensive.

    I have a few questions that I'm sure people on this group can help me
    with.

    1. I'd like to increase the disk storage. These systems evidently
    came with 68 pin scsi. I did a quick check on pricewatch and the 68
    pin disk drives are way too expensive. The 80 pin disks are much more
    reasonable. Hence my question: is it possible to use an 80 pin SCSI
    drive in this system, via an 80 pin to 68 pin adapter, or is the case
    too small?

    2. also, how quiet are these systems? I've looked at the hardware
    data sheet at sunsolve and it looks good (< 60 dBA).

    3. I know the ultra 60 I have at work supports an energy saver power
    off shutdown feature. Does this system also have this feature? I'd
    like the system to go to sleep when not in use and then wake up when I
    need it (by sending a "magic packet" to the system).

    thanks for your help

    Fred, Mar 6, 2005

  2. Not quiet - those thin 1U cases need a lot of fans to stay cool.
    You can only use 68 pin drives internally, there is no space for adaptors.
    You can add external scsi drives.

    Chris Newport, Mar 6, 2005

  3. Fred

    Scott Howard Guest

    No. There's no room. Either buy an SCA drive on ebay, or leave the
    internal disks as they are and connect an external array of some form (
    there's a SCSI port on the back of the machine)
    Relatively quiet for a rack-mount machine. Loud for a workstation.
    Turning off might be possible (I'm not sure), but I'm fairly sure there's
    no way to power it back on removely, other than over the LOM (serial)
    port.

    Scott

    Scott Howard, Mar 7, 2005
  4. Fred

    Steve S. Guest

    The netras use 80 pin drives internally - The only difference between a
    68 and 80 pin drive is the addition of power into the 80 pin connector
    instead of a seperate molex plug. The system does have an external 68
    pin connector to connect other scsi devices.

    I have one in my house and I can tell you I wouldn't want it under my
    desk ! The fans are all pretty quiet except for the power supply which
    has a distinct whine to it.
    Not sure about this functionality. What you are looking for is Wake On
    Lan to bring the machine back up - A quick google search doesn't look
    promising.

    Good Luck,

    Steve

    Steve S., Mar 7, 2005
  5. Fred

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    Yep -- watch eBay and pick up a Sun Multipack. It accepts SCA
    interface drives, and connects to the 68-pin SCSI on the back of the
    system. It also self-terminates, if it is the last box on the SCSI
    chain.

    Depending on the version, it will hold up to twelve 1" drives,
    or six 1.6" drives. The six-hole ones will accept either 1" or 1.6",
    but the twelve-hole ones will only accept the shorter drives -- unless
    you somehow find one which does not project as far back as the connector
    does. (The problem is that the top of the drive hits the connector in
    the next slot up.)

    The twelve-slot skips certain SCSI IDs (0 & 1 -- internal
    drives, 6 -- internal DVD or CD-ROM drive, 7 -- controller ID, and
    supplies drives in the rest up through SCSI ID 15.

    The six-slot has a switch on the back -- IDs 1-6 or 9-14 IIRC.

    Only (some of) the six-slot ones will work at Ultra SCSI speeds.
    They will say "ULTRA" on the left bottom of the front, and *sometimes*
    on the access cover on the left side. Apparently *none* of the
    twelve-slot ones will work at full Ultra SCSI speeds -- but your system
    and drives will negotiate a slower speed and be happy.

    Note also that these drives are hot-swappable. You'll need to
    umount them, but you don't have to power down the housing.

    And you *will* need a "spud" drive-mounting bracket for each
    drive in these enclosures.

    I don't know about your Netra -- but I can testify that the
    Ultra-2 will handle up to 36 GB drives from my own experience. I
    presume that faster ones will also work.

    The Sun FEH shows the Netra with a 68-pin connector to the
    outside, so you should be able to get all of the SCSI IDs mentioned to
    work.

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

    DoN. Nichols, Mar 8, 2005
  6. You mean externally... the internal drives are SCA, and use Sun's spud
    brackets. The T1 can take two drives, so without too much of an expense
    one should be able to get 2x36GB in there, and mirror them. You can
    ofcourse do external scsi as well, but then you need another box. A
    D130 goes very nicely with the T1.

    /m

    Marcin Dobrucki, Mar 8, 2005