Network Backup: "A newer item exists..."

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Davoud, Oct 9, 2004.

  1. Davoud

    Davoud Guest

    Why can't they get it right!? My little AirPort network currently
    consists of four Macs*, three running 10.3.5 and one running 10.2.8.
    There are a total of eight hard drives installed, and I do backups
    (whole folders) by drag-and-drop over the network. I know that's the
    old fashioned way, but it works for me.

    Why is it that when I edit files in a folder and then drag it to
    another drive to replace an existing folder I frequently get the
    message "A newer item named 'xxx' already exists in this location. Do
    you want to replace it with the one you are moving?" when, in fact, the
    folder that I want to replace is definitely older than the one with
    which I want to replace it. The system doesn't always get it wrong;
    sometimes it says "An older item named 'xxx' already exists..." and
    never gets it wrong the other way around; it never claims that a newer
    folder is older.

    So what gives here? The various computer clocks are getting automatic
    updates, so there is no significant time difference between the various
    machines.

    Davoud

    *OK, there's also a Windoze laptop/XP Pro on the network.

    Davoud, Oct 9, 2004