    connects to the network wireless, I keep getting an generic error
    message that says "a severe error has occured."

    Any suggestions?

    Ed, Jun 4, 2004

  2. Ed

    Ben Myers Guest

    Ed,

    Sharing an HP DeskJet on a network has always been somewhat problematic. The
    newer USB printers are even more so. HP does not want you to share an
    inexpensive DeskJet on a network. I don't know why. Hell, they would sell more
    ink cartridges if the printer printed more pages. And the real profit is in the
    ink, just like Gillette's blades.

    The 5150 drivers assume that the printer is bi-directional and attached directly
    to the computer where the drivers are being installed. Your best solution is to
    install drivers for an older parallel port DeskJet, uncheck any checkbox
    indicating bi-directional communication, designate LPT1 as the printer port, and
    do not print a test page. Next, after rebooting if required, you can change the
    port assignment to the networked 5150... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 4, 2004