    I contacted Nvidia about this problem, and got ditched, because nvidia does
    not know how to solve this problem.
    Nvidia are con artists!!!!!!!!!!!!

    dikkelul, Jan 20, 2009

  2. dikkelul

    Augustus Guest

    Because you can't get your GTX 280 to display 1080p on your particlular
    flatscreen means all GTX 280's are incapable of sending a signal to a HD
    flatscreen. That's great logic. Your Google ability is also somewhat
    lacking...this solution took me all of three or four minuntes to find:

    Quick rundown of the issue and solution. So the basic rundown: The problem
    is that the driver is sending bad info to the tv based off the EDID info the
    TV is sending to the card. For whatever reason, the pairing of these Philips
    TVs and the GTX 280 (and some other nvidia cards) just don't play well
    together. The solution is to modify the inf file of the driver and tell it
    to ignore the EDID data from the TV altogether.

    To do this, you will need to uninstall your current driver and then
    reinstall the drivers using a modified inf file.

    1) Download the latest nvidia drivers and let it extract the installation
    files. After it extracts the files and goes into the installation wizard,
    cancel. You don't want to install quite yet.

    2) Go to the folder with the extracted files. (Most of the time, this will
    be in C:\NVIDIA\)

    3) Find the file called nv_disp.inf and open it using notepad.

    4) So here's where things get a little complicated. You need to add the
    following line into the inf file in a section called
    [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings_GT2x]:

    HKR,, OverrideEdidFlags0, %REG_BINARY%,
    41,0C,00,00,00,00,FF,FF,04,00,00,00,7E,01,00

    Beware there is also a section called [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings]. This
    governs other cards such as the 8xxx series 9xxx series etc. Adding it there
    will not solve your GTX280 problems.

    5) So. I lied a bit. The above line isn't necessarily what you need. The
    first 4 hex numbers are the EDID identifier for your TV. It is going to be
    different depending on the TV you have. That line is going to tell your card
    to ignore the EDID info for a monitor broadcasting that EDID. For my TV (42"
    42PFL7422D/37), it was 41,0C,00,00. However, unless you have the same TV as
    me, your EDID number will be different. The following is how you find out
    what your ID is.

    6) Get MonInfo: http://www.entechtaiwan.com/files/moninfo.exe and install
    it.

    7) With your TV hooked up to your computer, run MonInfo and you will see
    that there's is a pane called Display IDs. Find your TV among the displays
    listed there and look at the Raw Data pane. You need the 4 hex numbers in
    bytes 8-11. So basically, starting with the 1st cell in 2nd line (that is
    byte 8) and then the subsequent 3 cells, that is the EDID tag of your TV.

    8) Use that as the 1st 4 hex bytes of that line I mentioned above.

    9) Save the inf file and install the drivers. The installer will now
    complain that the drivers are unsigned because you modified the inf file.
    Don't worry about it and install them anyway.

    10) Restart your computer and voila! Your tv will now work correctly.

    Augustus, Jan 21, 2009

  3. dikkelul

    Augustus Guest

    You're welcome, BTW....

    Augustus, Jan 21, 2009
  4. dikkelul

    Dre Guest

    Thats funny, I have a GTX280 hooked up to my LG 42" LCD screen in 1080p all
    the time.

    Works great, looks great and makes my pidly 19" screen look like a laptop
    screen!

    Cheers Dre

    Dre, Jan 21, 2009
  5. * dikkelul:
    Yeah, right. It's easy for the simple minded to take the most obvious
    path instead of researching *why* something doesn't work. Otherwise you
    could have easily found out that the GTX 280 in fact works fine with
    flatscreen TVs, and that it's probably your TV which is to blame as it
    doesn't provide the correct EDID information the gfx cards needs.

    So instead of blaming Nvidia, blame yourself because you've been to
    cheap to buy a proper TV and also too ignorant to do some research
    before whining!

    You're not related to SkyFuck, are you?

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Jan 22, 2009