    yet.

    Is there anything I can do or software/hardware I can purchase to
    improve the sound? I really don't want to send this back to Dell.

    Compulady, Nov 7, 2007

  2. Compulady

    RnR Guest

    There are some settings in the Sounds and Audio Devices (control
    panel) you can change but I'm not sure it will improve the sound that
    much and of course you can add external spkrs as you mentioned. There
    are some software enhancers that do help, one being DFX which as I
    recall is like a mixer and does enhance the sound for better quality.
    You might try something like this. I think they make different DFX
    programs for different players like winamp, etc... .

    RnR, Nov 7, 2007

  3. Compulady

    Journey Guest

    To piggy back on what RnR said Logitech makes a good wireless product
    that allows you to transmit your audio wirelessly to a receiving
    station that you can hook up to any audio source that takes an input.
    This would enable you to have your laptop audio play on a home
    entertainment center for example, or an audio source that isn't
    positioned near where you use your laptop.

    They actually make two different versions:

    1) USB transmitter on source PC to wireless receiver. The advantage
    of this is that you don't have to worry about battery usage -- on the
    USB side the computer powers it, and on the receiving side it's
    powered by an AC adapter.

    2) Standard jack converter. This enables any audio source that has a
    headphone-type output to transmit wirelessly to the receiving station.
    So, it works with iPods, laptops, or any other source. Disadvantage
    is that on the transmitting side the transmitter needs to be charged
    but at least it uses a rechargeable battery and each charge lasts a
    long time.

    I got both of mine for around $40. They usually sell for around $150
    but it pays to look for bargains. I always start with Amazon because
    there are good reviews there.

    It may not be what you're looking for so if not maybe this information
    would be helpful for someone. I like sharing info. about products
    that I really like.

    Journey, Nov 7, 2007
  4. Compulady

    S.Lewis Guest

    It's a notebook. Your post could equally describe the sound quality of my
    Lenovo 3000 15" laptop (without the use of external speakers).

    Unless the sound is garbled or distorted, it's probably pretty much standard
    for most any portable.

    S.Lewis, Nov 8, 2007
  5. Compulady

    joe_tide Guest

    I agree Stew. Those littlle tiny speakers are OK for just hearing things,
    but if someone wants decent sound, hook up some external speakers. All of my
    notebooks are horrible and expected.

    RTR

    joe_tide, Nov 8, 2007
  6. Compulady

    Boris Guest

    I have a 1505 notebook. Lousy sound, but I didn't expect good sound.

    I bought these for times when better sound is needed.

    http://tinyurl.com/yttlfq

    Boris, Nov 9, 2007
  7. Compulady

    Tom Scales Guest

    Video editing needs CPU. The faster the better. It isn't particularly
    memory intensive, so 4GB won't get you that much more than 2GB and 4GB
    is VERY expensive.

    Get the fastest CPU you can afford.

    Tom Scales, Nov 27, 2007