  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Nobody interested about the new board ?

    Dave, Dec 21, 2005

  2. Dave

    Paul Guest

    I can find an Intel D975XBX for sale, but neither the Asus board
    nor the Giga-byte.com.tw one seem to be available.

    http://www.geizhals.at/a177408.html

    Drooling is reserved for the early adopters, like in this thread.
    These guys have more money to burn than your average USENET
    participant. And Intel doesn't currently have a lot of mindshare,
    except perhaps inside a Dell box.

    http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98282&page=11&highlight=975x

    Another place to look would be here:

    http://xtremesystems.org/forums/search.php

    "Wheres the 975 Boards??" - mentions January 2006...
    http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=83243&highlight=975x

    Even theinq has its own article.
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28412

    If a clearly better Intel processor happens along, and the power
    dissipation is competitive, there might be more interest. Intel
    shoots themselves in the foot, when they introduce so many different
    versions of stuff. Marketing requires identity, and a prospective
    home builder won't want to spend the time sifting through all
    the variants. I mean, who would want to spend $500 on a processor,
    and then discover they forgot to order the EM64T version, or
    the version that supports virtualization, or the one with some
    kind of enhanced cooling option or whatever.

    Also, motherboard owners like to think their socket will be
    good for more than one version of processor. Otherwise, the
    processor might as well be soldered to the board :-( If Intel
    cannot provide a clear story on sockets, that is another
    disincentive.

    I've got more Intel boards here than AMD, but I'm in no rush to
    buy Intel right now. I am tempted to buy AMD, and really like
    my previous purchase, the 3200+ Barton box. It is the quietest
    computer I own.

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 21, 2005

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Thanks Paul, was just hoping it would be in the uk before christmas, never
    mind. Speaking of which, Merry Christmas and a happy new year to everyone on
    here xx

    Dave, Dec 23, 2005