New 9800Pro arrived yesterday, some questions

Discussion in 'ATI' started by GTX_SlotCar, Feb 3, 2004.

  1. GTX_SlotCar

    GTX_SlotCar Guest

    I got my Sapphire 9800Pro from newegg yesterday for $229. Before I received
    it, the price had already dropped $5 on their web site :)

    It's a red card with an ATI marked fan. I don't recall any Sapphire label,
    but I could have missed it. I was pretty excited to get it installed.

    Performance wasn't quite what I expected. 3DMark2001 scores were around
    15500. With my OC'd Ti4400, I got 14000 with the same quality settings. I
    expected around 16200 or so with the Pro. To be fair, I got 15888 with it
    OC'd at 400/370. I'm also aware that there would be a bigger difference in
    scores if I used 3DMark2003.

    Most of the games I play are older, so there wasn't much difference there,
    either. Call of Duty did play very well with only a couple hiccups. 3D image
    quality was excellent. I did miss that ATI desktop, too.

    The memory chips do get scorching hot. I'll either cut up an old heatsink
    for them or buy something. Any ideas of good HS for them? If I OC the card,
    I'll need them. I'm also considering the Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer.

    The card came with Cat 3.8 drivers. I also tried the 3.7 and 4.1. Is there a
    driver that's faster (non-omega)?

    Win 2000 Pro
    Abit AI7
    Geil 256MB PC3500 DDR433 at 2-2-2-5 and 190 mHz
    P4 1.8a at 2.57gHz
    fsb/mem ratio at 3:4

    Gary

    GTX_SlotCar, Feb 3, 2004

  2. GTX_SlotCar

    John Hall Guest

    Where the 9800 pro really shines is when you introduce AA and AF. Lesser
    cards, like your Ti4400 will simply choke, whereas the 9800 pro will rock
    on. Image quality and playability is the name of the game here.

    JK

    John Hall, Feb 3, 2004

  3. GTX_SlotCar

    McCrack Guest

    Hmm, sounds like a made by ATI card and not a Sapphire. Does device
    manager say 9800pro?

    McCrack, Feb 3, 2004
  4. GTX_SlotCar

    GTX_SlotCar Guest

    Yes. Oddly, it has it as 9800 Pro and again as 9800 Pro secondary. I suppose
    it's some driver or hardware thing with these cards that loads it twice?

    Gary

    GTX_SlotCar, Feb 4, 2004

  5. Hi,
    yes they do. They are just *crying* out for heatsinks. I had these
    (TweakMonster) heatsinks recommended to me by members of this forum:

    www.tweakmonster.com/ramsinks/index.htm

    They comes in packs of 4, so you will need two packs to cover all 8
    ramchips. I paid £20.00 U.K for two sets (that's $36.72 my yankee friend!).
    Funny thing is I didn't even install them yet, but have been busy with other
    things (work). They are very well made (heavy) and I intend to use
    thermal-epoxy to hold them on.

    I am just building a new computer this week based around the Sapphire
    *Atlantis* 9800 (as still yet *not*overclocked!) so I will mod my card then.
    I am also thinking of getting one of those ARTIC VGA-Silencer things, seems
    like a good idea, and as far as I heard you can use this in conjunction with
    the *TweakMonster* BGA heatsinks?

    As this is the last AGP graphics card I buy, I intend to get a good life out
    of it :p

    Have fun. . .

    Wayne Youngman, Feb 4, 2004
  6. GTX_SlotCar

    Jim Davis Guest

    This is a DX9 card, so you'd see a much bigger difference using the
    newere DX9 benchmarks.
    I felt around on my card while it was running and was very surprised
    how cool everything was. I wouldn't even call it warm. Are you sure
    your aux. power is plugged in?

    Jim Davis, Feb 4, 2004
  7. GTX_SlotCar

    ceebs Guest

    suprised it didnt come with mem heatsinks anyway. Mine does.
    --
    :-=ceebs=-:

    icq 118414125
    yahoo supercbuk
    www.n0ise.com

    ceebs, Feb 4, 2004
  8. GTX_SlotCar

    GTD Guest

    It shows up twice because of the dual monitor-support, or so I
    Believe. Mine (9800pro) does that, as did my 9700pro (May God rest
    it's soul)

    You should start drinking prune juice and KY jelly cocktails right now,
    that will make things a lot smoother.
    -Felatio Love

    GTD, Feb 4, 2004
  9. GTX_SlotCar

    zmike6 Guest

    I also received my OEM Sapphire 9800 Pro yesterday, although not from
    Newegg. It's a red pcb with an ATI-labeled fan, apparently with Hyinx
    2.8 ns memory. I'm also a little disappointed with my 3dMark 2001
    results; only scored 14,000. My system is an AMD 2600+/266,
    overclocked to 2.22 ghz (16x139). MSI Via KT333 based motherboard
    (but only supports 133 FSB). With my old Ti-4200 (not overclocked
    significantly) this system scored about 10300, so I "only" gained
    about 3700-3900 "points." With a 2.22 ghz Athlon, and a 9800 Pro, I
    expected 15000 or 16000 3dMarks. I'm using the 4.1 catalyst drivers.
    I'm guessing my low FSB just kills the performance. Plus I'm using the
    standard Windows XP chipset drivers instead of a newer set of Via
    4-in-1s. (Thanks MSI, for sellling a board with a deceptive name and
    no 1/5 divider!) AVOID KT3 ULTRA 2-C!

    On the plus side, the card seems stable so far. And I can actually
    use FSAA and anisotopic, which was too much of a performance drag with
    the 4200.

    This card definitely puts out some heat. Under load it pushes my case
    temp up 2 degrees C higher than my old 4200. Finally, I miss being
    able to nudge color intensity with the "digital vibrance" feature that
    Nvidia had. Maybe with a good monitor it would not be needed, but my
    inexpensive monitor benefited from a small push in that regard.

    zmike6, Feb 4, 2004
  10. GTX_SlotCar

    GTX_SlotCar Guest

    Mine are cool when the system is idle or just cruising the web, but when
    stressed with heavy graphics, I can actually burn my finger on them. When
    the chips get hot, I can actually underclock the memory (to 330 or so) and
    get a better 3DMark. Overall, though, the card OC's like crazy with no
    artifacts. It just gets hot and the performance eventually drops. Ramsinks
    and a cooler should really help.
    Aux. power is connected. Oh, my 12v is 12.05 with the 9800Pro as opposed to
    11.99v with the Ti4400 OC'd. The Fortron 350 PSU really holds the 5 & 12
    volt rails nice. My (more expensive) Antec PP352X was 11.88v with the Ti.

    BTW, newegg.com actually gave me a $5 credit on my card because the price
    dropped before my board arrived. I don't think they actually have a price
    protection policy, so maybe it's because I've bought so much stuff from them
    lately.

    Gary

    GTX_SlotCar, Feb 4, 2004
  11. GTX_SlotCar

    Pluvious Guest

    ||Win 2000 Pro
    ||Abit AI7
    ||Geil 256MB PC3500 DDR433 at 2-2-2-5 and 190 mHz
    ||P4 1.8a at 2.57gHz
    ||fsb/mem ratio at 3:4
    ||Gary

    Do yourself a major favor by getting more ram. 256 is woefully low.
    Gamers should have 1 gig now.

    Pluvious

    Pluvious, Feb 4, 2004
  12. GTX_SlotCar

    McCrack Guest

    Yea, that's normal. As the other person said it is due to dual monitor
    support.

    McCrack, Feb 4, 2004
  13. GTX_SlotCar

    McCrack Guest

    ATI control panel has a tab for color adjustment. I huess not the same
    as Nvidia's digital vibrance but you should be able to achieve a
    similar effect with a little experimentation.

    McCrack, Feb 4, 2004
  14. GTX_SlotCar

    Tim W. Guest

    Why?

    Enjoy,

    TLW

    Tim W., Feb 4, 2004
  15. My AIW 9800Pro has the same thing in control panel.... but that card does
    not support dual monitors.

    Uncooked meat prior to state vector collapse, Feb 5, 2004
  16. GTX_SlotCar

    @ndrew Guest

    Which means it does not support duel monitors .. or you had a fail on
    the install of drivers.

    regards

    @ndrew

    @ndrew, Feb 5, 2004
  17. GTX_SlotCar

    @ndrew Guest

    Gah dual ... sigh

    @ndrew, Feb 5, 2004
  18. GTX_SlotCar

    GTX_SlotCar Guest

    I figured it was supposed to be there. My Radeon 8500 and Ti4400 also
    support dual monitors, but they didn't do this. That's why I asked.

    Gary

    GTX_SlotCar, Feb 5, 2004
  19. GTX_SlotCar

    Pluvious Guest

    ||On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 18:50:13 GMT, Pluvious <>
    ||wrote:
    ||>Do yourself a major favor by getting more ram. 256 is woefully low.
    ||>Gamers should have 1 gig now.
    ||>
    ||>Pluvious
    ||Why?
    ||Enjoy,
    ||TLW

    Fay Cry demo is a perfect example of the benefit of having more then
    512MB ram, which was the standard most gamers use. Most all of the
    complaints about the Far Cry demo about framerate where from people
    who had 512. People who have 1GB are praising the game for running so
    smooth with all the goodies on. With ram being so cheap.. there is no
    reason NOT to have a lot. 256 is really really low considering XP
    needs about all of that to run...

    Pluvious

    Pluvious, Feb 5, 2004
  20. GTX_SlotCar

    GTX_SlotCar Guest

    I don't run XP, still with W2K, and I've never heard of the Far Dry demo,
    but in games like Call of Duty (and the racing sims I have), my hard drive
    isn't accessed except when loading new maps. Maybe it's because of the tight
    memory timings I have, but I just don't see any problems. I believe that if
    my hard drive isn't being accessed during the games, I'm not running out of
    memory.
    That being said, I plan to get new memory when I upgrade my cpu. OCz PC4200
    twin 256 sticks (512 total) is about $166 now. 1GB is about twice that
    amount. I wouldn't call $332 cheap :)

    Gary

    GTX_SlotCar, Feb 5, 2004