New A7N8X Deluxe - SATA and Raid HD Tach 2.61 Questions

Discussion in 'Asus' started by George, Oct 21, 2003.

  1. George

    George Guest

    Barton 2500+ (200 fsb)
    Vantec Aeroflow cooler
    A7N8X Deluxe Rev 2.0 1005 bios
    Enermax 450W power supply
    2 x 512 pc3200 ram Generic
    WD 120 SATA HD WDC 1200JD (primary) non raid
    WD 80 PATA HD WDC 800 JB (slave)
    Win XP pro sp 2.1

    Out of the box this baby hits 200 fsb like a charm with only a slight
    bump in core voltage to 1.675 needed to make prime 95 run 100% stable
    for days. Going from a Thermaltake Volcano 7 cooler to the Vantec
    Aeroflow dropped my temps 10C under prime 95 load. I now hit 43C max
    under full Prime 95 load no other case fans. I leave the side of the
    case off.

    I have a few questions and observations.

    I know the first one has been asked before but I cannot find answers
    that solve my problem.

    I loaded the sata driver after F6 when doing a clean install on a new
    sata drive. Loaded windows and everything works except for a yellow
    flag in device manager saying other devices/raid controller. This is
    after loading the latest all in one drivers.

    How do I make the yellow flag go away and give the raid controller the
    driver windows is looking for?

    Problem #2
    When I bench each drive using HD Tach 2.61 I get very weird results.

    the 120 gig yeilds the following:

    Random Access Time 20ms (this is very crappy)
    Read Burst Speed 73.0 Mb (also crappy)
    Read Speed Maximum 60,041 kps
    Minimum 29,524 kps
    Average 47,529 kps (Great read speed results)

    80 gig yeilds the following:

    Random Access Time 12.8ms
    Read Burst Speed 80 Mb (maxes out probably closer to 100)
    Read Speed Maximum 52,646 kps
    Minimum 24,848 kps
    Average 40,505 kps

    Do I need to change a setting or driver?

    I remember in windows 98 if you did not select dma in the drive
    properties box you would get lousy HD bench marks.

    Something is wrong here.

    Sandra gives the sata drive higher benchmarks than the pata drive.

    Help/suggestions appreciated

    George, Oct 21, 2003

  2. George

    Ben Pope Guest

    Is the SiI 3112A listed in device manager under SCSI controllers? If not,
    update the driver with the SiI 1.0.0.32 driver.

    If it is, then remove both that one and the one with the yellow flag from
    device manager and reboot.
    Yes, it is.
    Yeah, but won't affect performance much since it's greater than the maximum
    sustained read.
    Thats not at all bad. My Raptor is ~48.5MB/s average. (Seek is ~8ms)
    Without DMA performance is crap on all OSs.

    Try updating to the 1007 BIOS, it has a later SATA firmware too. Oh and get
    your driver sorted.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Oct 21, 2003

  3. George

    George Guest

    In device manager the drive is listed under disk drives and is
    labelled with the model number then says scsi disk drive. There is no
    scsi folder in device manager.

    George, Oct 21, 2003
  4. George

    Ben Pope Guest

    Right, then you have no driver installed... so update the driver on the
    device thats not working.

    The 3112A should appear as a SCSI controller.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Oct 21, 2003
  5. George

    George Guest

    Ben I hate to bother you but when I load the 1.0.0.32 driver on a
    floppy and update the raid controller driver that has the yellow flag
    windows hangs on the re-boot andI have to go bacxk to the previous
    installation that worked. I have seen others post the same problem.

    I have copied the contents of the unbzipped file to a floppy then
    updated from device manager on the yello0w flagged raid controller
    device then hang on re-boot.

    What am I doing wrong?

    Is the 1007 bios worth going to from the 1005 and would this eliminate
    this hassle with the scsi driver?

    George, Oct 21, 2003
  6. George

    Ben Pope Guest

    Doesn't bother me... it's your problem :p
    Dunno, but I wouldn't bother with the floppy. Just extract the zip to a
    directory and point add hardware wizard there.
    I'd have thought it'd have no effect.

    I've not heard of the problem before... of course, you could try the .29s or
    an even older version, but I wouldn't expect it to work (because I wouldn't
    expect the .32s to cause problems).

    Hmm. What version does
    C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\SI3112r.sys
    Have?

    I take it you're installing the "raid" drivers and not the "sata" ones?
    http://12.24.47.40/utility/getfile.asp?rid=1634

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Oct 21, 2003
  7. George

    George Guest

    Ben C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\SI3112r.sys lists the driver version as
    ..22 not .32

    Again whenever I update the driver (using 3x12_x86_[1].win_rdvr-10032)
    on the yellow flagged raid controller i cannot boot and have to revert
    to a previous installation. Is there anyting I can do other than
    re-load windows and use the 10032 when I get the call for f6?

    George, Oct 21, 2003
  8. George

    Ben Pope Guest

    I really don't see how that would change anything... same driver, same
    problem, I assume. Looks like the older version loads.

    But the new version either doesn't load, or breaks windows.

    The old version must be being loaded, but for some reason the driver isn't
    installed correctly.

    I'm at a loss to be honest. Try searching nforcershq.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Oct 21, 2003
  9. George

    George Guest

    Ben I formatted the drive and re-installed windows with the 32 sata
    driver and now no yellow flags. My HD tach scores are still exactly
    the same which pissees me off especially the Random Access Time 20ms.
    There must be a setting wrong here. Any ideas?

    George, Oct 21, 2003
  10. George

    Ben Pope Guest

    Don't have any idea why seek is bad. You got acoustic management or
    something silly on? (OK so one idea)

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Oct 22, 2003
  11. George

    6bal Guest

    Why do you have them on the RAID controller ?
    If they aren't setup as an array try the EIDE ports and see how they
    work.

    6bal, Oct 22, 2003
  12. George

    George Guest

    I have the 120 set on the sata/raid controller and the 80 on the ide
    channel.

    Since they are not the same they are not set to raid.

    George, Oct 22, 2003
  13. George

    BoB Guest

    What chipset/nvidia driver version are you using?
    I was benching my buddy's old raid pata stripe with HD Tach
    when one of his IBM 60 giggers bit the dust! Whoops!

    BoB, Oct 23, 2003
  14. George

    George Guest

    I am using the all-in-one 1.16 drivers.