    messy...at least that's been my experience.

    Thanks,
    Damaeus

    Damaeus, Jul 12, 2003

  2. Damaeus

    Tom Guest

    You're not alone with that kind of thinking :)
    That's why I got me a plain NF7. No '-S' or '-M' model!!
    Not really that messy - just go into the BIOS and turn off what you
    don't want.

    But, why should I pay for something I don't need or want.
    Like: I really don't think I'll need the Firewire for a long time to
    come. Serial ATA - same thing! I'm not going to replace a recently
    purchased 160Gig HD this quick. Besides, SATA needs to mature a bit
    more, I think. Most current SATA drives are just converted IDE drives.

    And by the time it want these upgrades it's probably time for another
    mobo upgrade also.

    --=tom=-

    Tom, Jul 12, 2003

  3. Damaeus

    Morgan Guest

    But, why should I pay for something I don't need or want......

    I could feel the same way about the five empty PCI slots that I have now got.
    At one time I used to struggle for slots, now I doubt as though I will ever need
    them for the life of this NF7-S.
    There is no big deal about disabling onboard stuff though - can't remember when
    I last used either the 2 COM ports or the Parallel port.
    As for firewire well I remember not too long ago paying almost as much for a
    firewire card as I did for the motherboard that now has it onboard....!!!

    --
    Regards

    Morgan

    How I fixed my noisy IBM drive
    www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk
    3DMark 2001 with Ti 4200 = 15214
    http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6420632

    Morgan, Jul 12, 2003
  4. Damaeus

    Doug G. Guest

    Very few Abit boards have onboard Video. As far as sound and LAN go,
    just disable them in the BIOS. There is nothing 'messy' about it at all.

    Doug

    Doug G., Jul 12, 2003
  5. Damaeus

    John Lewis Guest

    Some things in life today are near-free.........especially
    with large-scale silicon integration.

    Get a IS7-E and turn off ALL unwanted functions in
    BIOS.............absolutely painless............ And you may
    find them very useful in the future...............
    BTW, Abit does not include integrated video at all on any
    of their latest MB offerings.

    Stellar performance, Dual DDR 400 etc
    IS7-E @ $99 from Newegg.com.
    (IS 7 -- Firewire and RAID @ $109 )

    Free Fedex Super-saver shipping to the US (2-3 days
    delivery )

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Jul 12, 2003
  6. Damaeus

    Phil Weldon Guest

    My I suggest a hardware video encoder/decoder PCI board and a uh, let me see
    .... well a wireless LAN PCI board, and uh ... well, better to have too many
    than too few.

    Phil Weldon,

    Phil Weldon, Jul 12, 2003
  7. Damaeus

    minus200 Guest

    i have been fooling with these computers for a long time and I absolutely
    abhor boards with on board IDE and floppy controllers. It seems like all
    the lastest boards have controllers built in. (if you have never seen a
    controller card - I will send you some - ISA and Vesa Local Bus

    Does that make sense to you?

    Buy a NF7 and disable the sound - dont buy the NF7-S that comes with sound
    that is good as all but a very few sound cards. And dont use on board
    LAN. Dont use a win modem either

    The extra cost of the cheaper sound (NF7) is so low that MB mfgs would be
    silly not to include it.

    minus200, Jul 13, 2003
  8. Damaeus

    Damaeus Guest

    What about the Abit motherboards with the nVidia chipset. Is that a
    full graphics solution on the board, or does it just have chips geared
    toward better accomodation of a real nVidia AGP card?

    Damaeus

    Damaeus, Jul 13, 2003
  9. Damaeus

    John Lewis Guest

    Yes, we had vacuum-tube amps too at that time.............

    Still have, for the retro-freaks.........

    Hard-hat on..........

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Jul 13, 2003
  10. Damaeus

    Damaeus Guest

    Ah, that might not be too bad. I've liked nVidia so far. Maybe they
    make good mobo chipsets, too. I know they have a sound chip on some
    boards, too.

    Damaeus

    Damaeus, Jul 14, 2003
  11. Yikes!
    Add-on drive controllers were a pain! Especially the IDE controllers
    circa 1990. I remember how some would work with some motherboards, but
    not with others. I was SO happy when I got my first board with
    built-in IDE and I/O ports.

    BTW, I still have some MFM and RTL controller boards around, along
    with appropriate cables, just in case :) If we get bombed back into
    the stone age, I'll be the only person who can build a computer with a
    Seagate ST-225 hard drive and 320KB 5 1/4-inch floppy drives!

    Myron Johnson, Jul 14, 2003
  12. Damaeus

    GTD Guest

    I always hang on to older, outdated equipment for a while, figuring
    SOMEBODY can use it or even needs it. Then when the pile becomes
    overwhelming, I take it all out to the range.... PULL!!!

    A 7MM Remmington Magnum does awesome things to old harddrives!

    GTD, Jul 15, 2003
  13. Damaeus

    Eric Meyers Guest

    My KD7-E has no sound, video, or LAN. Works great.

    Eric

    Eric Meyers, Jul 18, 2003