    would know at this time, but i'm curious about the first thing.

    thx for the help,

    dan

    Dan Irwin, Apr 9, 2004

  2. Dan Irwin

    dave Guest

    It does not matter, buy or build, once the product is in your hand it
    is out of date, history, already the updated replacement is in the
    pipeline. The best is to set one up and replaceit after 2 to 3 years.
    as for updating that one... hardwarewise no, software yes.

    Dave

    dave, Apr 9, 2004

  3. As far as the Opteron goes, AMD has no plans that I know of to change
    Socket 940 in the near future. From what I have read, these new CPUs will
    have a new memory controller that supports DDR-II, but they may still
    support regular old DDR.

    They will be using a new 90nm SOI process. Whether these will run on
    current motherboards is a wild card. If I had to guess, I would say that
    they would. Specifications for server boards tend to change more slowly
    than for desktop boards, since the server market favors stability.

    If it were up to me, I would try to get a fairly new Socket 940 board, or
    at least not one that came out right at the same time as the first
    Opterons. Hopefully, any kinks in older models will have already been
    worked out.

    Keep in mind that this has been pure speculation on my part, but those are
    my two cents.

    --Alex

    Alex Zorrilla, Apr 9, 2004
  4. Dan Irwin