    you do so.

    if it isn't swollen, and it probably isn't, then you don't need to
    worry about that.

    Guest, May 31, 2012

  2. Ant

    dorayme Guest

    Yes, it is weird. I am not unfamiliar with weird things happening on
    logging in and out though. My Mail app for a long time never lost the
    passwords to the various email accounts (it used to regularly do this
    many many months back) and suddenly started doing this. The
    disappearance of the bullets in the Accounts password field went hand
    in hand with the machine asking me for password when opening Mail and
    it trying to get the emails from the servers... Once re-entered in the
    prefs/accounts, it behaves for days on end (yes, even with logout/in)
    and then suddenly it loses a password again...

    People try to explain these things but their theories almost always
    prove inadequate. I accept and embrace the mystery of Macs!

    dorayme, May 31, 2012

  3. Salut Ant

    well, in 2008 Apple switched fom alu to unibody...
    Best would be if you provide the Model Identifier found in System
    Profiler
    MacBookPro3,1 and MacBookPro4,1 = alu
    They use this kind of battery:
    <http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA348LL/A>
    MacNookPro5,1 = unibody
    You are giving the reason for the negative reviews ;-)
    People don't like to spend money on replacement parts.
    I for my part don't think that $129 is expensive for 4 years of use...
    Cheers
    Andreas

    Andreas Rutishauser, May 31, 2012
  4. Ant

    dorayme Guest

    Are we talking swollen as can be seen somehow from the outside of a
    MB? Or from opening the case and seeing the actual battery?

    dorayme, May 31, 2012
  5. Ant

    JF Mezei Guest

    Haven't followed this thread so pardon for my intrusion.

    "6 degrees" brings me here. Planning for a bike trip, I learned I would
    bike near a new Lithium mine in northern qu├ębec. Their web site pointed
    to a FAQ on lithium based batteries.

    Lithium-Ion batteries's chemestry slowly degrades no matter what you do
    with it and they mention that they have 2-4 years life span. So as it
    degrades, it can hold a lesser charge and thus battery autonomy is
    reduced. There is nothing you can do to prevent this aging.

    Lithium Ion batteries must not be allowed to toatlly discharge otherwise
    they become damaged. (I don't quite inderstand this, but they repeated
    this a number of times). This is why there is circuitry which prevents
    use of battery below certain voltage.

    JF Mezei, May 31, 2012
  6. Ant

    David Empson Guest

    Specifically not the batteries. For Unibody MacBook Pro models, Apple
    permits (and documents) end user replacement of memory and hard drive.
    Other components are service parts.
    Probably one year, the same as the original battery, but I can't see
    anything on the store web page clarifying that. If in doubt, ask the
    Apple Store.

    <http://www.apple.com/batteries/> has general information about
    batteries in Apple products.

    <http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html> is specifically on
    notebook batteries, but it has been updated to describe the much better
    integrated batteries in recent models, rather than the older removable
    ones, so some of the details are different.

    Integrated notebook batteries should deliver up to 1000 full charge and
    discharge cycles and last up to five years, whereas the removable ones
    in older models were rated up to 300 charge cycles and didn't specify an
    expected lifetime.

    David Empson, May 31, 2012
  7. Ant

    Ant Guest

    It's not just Macs! Computers, electronics, etc. Weird stuff. Oh yeah
    and our bodies. :D
    --
    "When the water rises the fish eat the ants, when the water falls the
    ants eat the fish." --Thai Proverb

    Ant, May 31, 2012
  8. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Yeah, I did say hardware parts. ;) Still lame!

    Wow. Do the newer ones really last that much longer so far?
    --
    "Really. And do these lions eat ants?" --John Cleese in Monty Python's
    Flying Circus

    Ant, May 31, 2012
  9. Ant

    Ant Guest

    My client's MBP was the big size when I looked under it.

    Ah. OK. :)
    --
    "I got this aunt... Carpenter ant." --Girl and Crow
    | |o o| |

    Ant, May 31, 2012
  10. Ant

    dorayme Guest

    True, but I don't *accept* the mysteries of windoze quite as well.

    dorayme, May 31, 2012
  11. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Linux too. Even dedicated hardwares that aren't computers! :p
    --
    "... Our world is not an ant farm!" --Duncan MacLeod (Highlander Season
    3 Finale Part II)

    Ant, Jun 1, 2012