    recorable CD to update?) Best save a copy of the previously installed BIOS
    update as EVGA seems to only post the latest BIOS version.

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, May 8, 2007

  2. Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon Guest

    I flashed the BIOS on my EVGA 680i motherboard to version P28. I do not
    notice any differences so far.
    My E4300 overclocks nicely at 2.7 GHz and a CPU core voltage set to 1.2500
    v.
    At speeds over ~ 2.9 GHz the required core voltage is very high.
    At the moment, using the Intel boxed retail heatsink/fan, the limit for my
    system is 3.33 GHz with a CPU core voltage set to 1.5125 v.
    At this speed and voltage, and with a room ambient of 27 C, the CPU
    temperature rises to ~ 55 C with the very mild nTune Stability Test set to
    CPU only (this is a VERY mild stress test - only CPU0 is used and only to a
    level that varies between 5% and 38%.
    Orthos 'Blend' causes a rapid rise in the CPU temperature to above 70 C and
    Orthos halts. Adding additional stress quickly causes a crash. This is
    reasonable to expect considering the voltage increase from 1.2500 v to
    1.5125 v alone may raise the power dissipation by nearly 50%,

    Still needed is a reliable way of getting the CPU, System, and nForce
    temperatures displayed and logged, a reliable way of getting the four fan
    speeds reported in the BIOS Health monitor displayed and logged, and a
    reliable way of getting the system voltages displayed and logged.

    Even though the nVida website directs support inquiries to the motherboard
    manufacturer, it turns outh that nVidia actually has the reference
    motherboard design manufactured and sent to various companies, including
    EVGA for relabeling. Any improvements in 680i reference design motherboard
    operation depends entirely on nVidia success in getting nTune, Nvidia
    Monitor, and system BIOS to work correctly.

    Phil Weldon

    | The EVGA website has a new BIOS update for their NF68 680i motherboard,
    | version P28, dated May 7, 2007. According to the website, P28 has these
    | changes from version P27:
    | Improve S3 resume functionality
    | USB flash key functionality improvements
    | Overclocking and memory improvements
    | WHQL-related HPET fixes.
    |
    | The file is an .exe file and requires a floppy drive as a boot device.
    The

    Phil Weldon, May 10, 2007