New Boxen problem; any ideas?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mimic, Aug 11, 2004.

  1. Mimic

    Mimic Guest

    Just built my new box and its running ridiculously slow. just over 2mins
    to boot to the login prompt then a further 1min 20 to get to the
    desktop, its a new install of xp pro. The spec is as follows, a couple
    things, it has dumped after a bugcheck a couple times, last time i had
    this it was due to overclocked ram. I manually set this ram to its speed
    with no joy. Also, im running it off a 300w PSU [i have a 400 on the
    way] atm, which I know is causing other problems [reboots when i turn on
    the light tubes hehe]. But that wouldnt be the cause of this would it ?

    Anyway, any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated as this is sposed to be
    the hype box that is replacing my fast, stable, 4yo duron800 machine :p

    P4 2.8 Prescott [1mb L2 cache, 800/HT] @ 50 deg C
    512 DDR 2700 [333]
    Asus Board, supporting Prescott, HT and 800fsb @ 27 deg C
    256mb Geforce4 gfx card
    1 Zalman Fan controller
    1 multifunctional docking bay [mem cards, usb, f/wire etc]
    1 DVDrom
    1 DVDRW
    3 Case fans
    5 inline led's.
    [the tubes are always turned off atm]

    If you need the exact part specs just shout.

    thx

    Mimic, Aug 11, 2004

  2. Mimic

    Mimic Guest

    sorry, and a 40GB hdd @ 5400, and a 80GB hdd @ 7200 :p

    Mimic, Aug 11, 2004

  3. Mimic

    ByteCoder Guest

    I'd say you don't give it enough juice, or maybe it gets too hot and the
    P4 slows down because of that (seriously doubt it).
    Still, you got quite a lot of equipment on a 300W PSU.

    You could also try turning of S-ATA controllers and the like if you
    don't use them.

    ByteCoder, Aug 11, 2004
  4. Lose the 5400rpm drive, it's laggin your whole system down. Also, using the boot up sequence is a
    VERY poor test of the systems speed. I mean, whether you're running a 900Mhz Athlon or a 2.4Ghz
    Pentium, they'll both boot up at about the same time. The only way to really speed up the boot is
    to cut out things that it's loading that you don't need.

    Onideus Mad Hatter, Aug 11, 2004
  5. Mimic

    FrozenNorth Guest

    Which channels and in what order are the HDs, and optical drives hooked
    up.

    FrozenNorth, Aug 11, 2004
  6. i suggest 1 more fan and much more power!
    450 watts to be exact.
    Are the DVD drives connected to the right inputs of the sound card?
    Doesn't that geoforce have a power connector too?

    --
    TSS
    ~~~~

    USA 2004 - Give me your Digital passport and take off your clothes so we
    can scan you for weapons and see if you have recieved money or
    contributed money to terrorist organizations! (While undertrained Armed
    security guards watch you closely.)

    Which should you fear more the present or the past?
    ~~~~

    The Seventh Sign, Aug 11, 2004
  7. He doesn't need a 450watt power supply...not unless he plans on burning a DVD while at the same time
    playing a DVD while also playing Doom3 on top of it...not only that but a lack of power wouldn't be
    slowing the system down...causing it to shut itself off yeah, but like I said, he's in no danger of
    that happening.

    Onideus Mad Hatter, Aug 11, 2004
  8. Mimic

    Meat-->Plow Guest

    Shuddup Diaper Boi, you weren't part of the dialog. Nobody cares what you have
    to say Diaper Boi.

    Meat-->Plow, Aug 11, 2004
  9. Mimic

    Meat-->Plow Guest

    New install of XP should boot up faster than that even if you're booting from
    the 4500 rpm drive. Leave the RAM to be configured by SPD. Look in the system
    and application event viewer for any red X's. That 300 watt supply is right on
    the edge of not being adequate because that system can draw 300 watts when the
    Prescott is thumping. I know, I have one on an Intel mobo.

    Meat-->Plow, Aug 11, 2004
  10. Mimic

    Mimic Guest

    yuh the new psu should be here soon :D

    Mimic, Aug 11, 2004
  11. Mimic

    Mimic Guest

    hatter dont be so lame, i have a serious issue that i would like to
    resolve, the fact that my storage hdd runs at 5400rpm doeswnt mean shit
    as far as system speed goes. Furthermore, my point was that it shoulnt
    take over 3minutes for a system to boot. My old system booted in about
    20secs

    Mimic, Aug 11, 2004
  12. Mimic

    Mimic Guest

    IDE 1 = 80 GB OS[XPp] [cs] && 40GB storage [cs]
    IDE 2 = DVDRW[master] DVDROM[slave]

    One thing I maybe shoulda mentioned, when IDE1 HDD1 is set to master,
    the installation of XPp loops and never actually installs the full
    working OS. I swapped it to Cable Select and it was fine :/

    Mimic, Aug 11, 2004
  13. Mimic

    Mimic Guest

    well yes, it would, as a reduction in power to fans and the like would
    increase the cpu temperature and cause it to perform at a lower rate.

    Mimic, Aug 11, 2004
  14. Mimic

    RAMCable Guest

    Looks like you aren't the only one. Though it does get through the bootup
    and goes to desktop, the system always gets 'stuck' for like about 2 mintues
    and then it is fine again. Probably a bad install or bad HD??

    RAMCable

    RAMCable, Aug 11, 2004
  15. Mimic

    RAMCable Guest

    I agree with the PSU bit. You should at least have a 450w or 500w PSU. I
    actually subscribed to Maximum PC... Love that Mag...

    RAMCable
    --
    "The World Wide Web is just like its namesake, the spider's web - full of
    dirt and bugs." -- ERIC SCHWARTZ

    RAMCable

    RAMCable, Aug 11, 2004
  16. Mimic

    filesiteguy Guest

    If you want.... you could build me one, too, and I'll test it for you
    at my house. Don't worry about a return address - I can post responses
    by email. :)

    kai
    g2004 at g3prod.cotse.net

    filesiteguy, Aug 11, 2004
  17. Mimic

    FrozenNorth Guest

    What happens if you yank out the 40 and set the 80 as master? I suspect it
    may boot alot faster.

    Probably the drive speeds conflicting and causing issues, also are both DVD
    drives or all four drives specified in the boot search order?

    FrozenNorth, Aug 11, 2004
  18. Then try to shut the **** and listen. Or be ignorant and stupid...your choice. I mean, the
    opinions expressed so far are based on...what...Maximum PC magazine? *snicker* My opinions are
    based on ACTUAL EXPERIENCE.
    Actually it REALLY does. Even if you've got it setup as just a slave/storage drive it's STILL gonna
    slow it all down. In fact currently it is pretty much THE slowest component in your system.
    What OS was your old system running? You do realize there's a difference between operating systems,
    right?

    Onideus Mad Hatter, Aug 11, 2004
  19. Mimic

    Mimic Guest

    Then you cant have had much experience
    It reduce sthe seek time for info yes. But it doesnt slow down the
    system to this kind of level, or force the cpu upto 100%, I can assure
    you it isnt the rpm of the hdd.
    Oh is there ? damn, well it worked on my win 3.11 fine, i thought it
    would be the same on my xpp..... *slap* of course i know theres a
    difference, its the same OS as the other box...exactly the same ;D heh

    Mimic, Aug 11, 2004
  20. ....are you stupid? I mean, no, really. Do you know how much power those lil fans use? Trust me on
    this one, not even anywhere fucking CLOSE to the amount that say your DVD-RW uses. So boot into
    Windows and burn a DVD, if it works, guess what? Yeah, not a power problem unless you wanna try and
    claim your DVD-RW is burning a DVD during the boot up process.

    Second of all, surely you've actually bought some sort of temperature controller for this system,
    right? I mean, hello, an Aerogate II like the one I bought:
    http://www.backwater-productions.net/_images/aerogate.jpg
    Yeah, REALLY not that expensive and it'll tell you the temperature of the case, CPU, HDs, as well as
    the speed of all the fans.

    Furthermore, your slow boot up is 99.9% likely to be the result of a amateurish fucked installation
    of whatever the hell operating system you're using than it is with electric power, cpu power, or any
    other hardware component for that matter.

    Onideus Mad Hatter, Aug 11, 2004