    remember how.
    Thanks in advance for any help of this.
    david

    david, Oct 4, 2004

  2. david

    David Casey Guest

    If your old computer has a NIC card or Ethernet adapter then get a
    crossover cat-5 cable and you can hook them directly up to each other. You
    will need to enable file and print sharing on both machines and make sure
    they are on the same workgroup. Then, just create a shared folder on your
    desktop and anytime you want to transfer stuff between the two machines
    place the files into the shared folder on one machine and you can copy it
    over to the other.

    I have a router hooked up to my cable modem and the two desktop machines
    are able to share the Internet connection, my printer, and files without
    any problems but I have used the crossover cat-5 cable method in the past
    before I got the router to transfer stuff between computers.

    Or, you could just burn the files you want to transfer to a CD. It would
    probably be quicker and, depending on your knowledge of networking, a lot
    faster. ;-)

    Dave
    US Army Signal Corps!!

    http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

    David Casey, Oct 4, 2004

  3. david

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    Generally you can't. Programs must be re-installed.
    You can. Presumably your new machine is XP and if so in its help search
    "cable connection".

    Ron Reaugh, Oct 4, 2004
  4. david

    NuTCrAcKeR Guest

    terrible answer, Ron. .

    XP comes with a wizard to help you copy your data to a new machine. You will
    need to re-install your apps on the new machine, but the wizard creates a
    big zip-like file that you can then copy between computers (using the
    methods described in this thread). This is generally good for things like MS
    applications. If you have been very good about organizing your data in your
    My Documents folder, this works relatively well. If not, you may need to
    copy individual files over from one comp to another. This works best if XP
    is installed on both machines. If not, you will need to use other methods.

    Another method not already discussed, would be to put the drive from your
    old compaq into the new dell, as a slave on the same IDE channel. Then, you
    can copy files from one drive to the other without the need for any
    networking. This is a relatively simple thing to do, but if you are
    uncertain then you should ask a neighbor, or someone you know who is
    knowledgeable for assistance.

    - NuTs

    NuTCrAcKeR, Oct 4, 2004
  5. david

    david Guest

    Thank you Dave for your quick reply.
    How can I tell If I have a NIC card or Ethernet adapter?
    I did find and I think enabled file and print sharing on the Compaq. Now how
    can I tell
    if the new Dell when. it is delivered is on the same workgroup?
    I don't have a way to transfer the old files to a CD.
    Thanks again.
    david

    david, Oct 4, 2004
  6. david

    david Guest

    Thanks Ron Reaugh for you quick reply.
    I will search the cable connection.
    david

    david, Oct 4, 2004
  7. david

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    Yes it does and I showed how to find it.
    That's what I already posted.

    Can we say plagiarize.

    Ron Reaugh, Oct 4, 2004
  8. david

    NuTCrAcKeR Guest

    You have no idea who I am or what my skills and qualifications are. Be very
    careful.

    Show me where you mentioned the "file and settings transfer wizard",
    located under Programs>Accessories>SystemTools ? Well, You didnt. Your post
    does not mention a wizard of any kind, much less a place to locate such a
    thing.

    Saying "search help" for something that will help him connect 2 machines is
    hardly the process that I outlined above. But, as you so astutely missed, I
    did site using any of the other methods to connect 2 computers in the
    thread, your input included.
    I was specifically referring to datafiles generated by the OP's (that would
    be Original Poster's) applications that he wants to move, but also siting
    that the wizard would not move the program files for them. I believed it was
    important enough to re-iterate (that means to repeat), as a novice may be
    inclined to misunderstand. I added that as a precaution.
    I suppose you would accuse me of plagiarizing on the grounds that we both
    used the word "the" in our posts ... To plagiarize, I would have had to post
    an overwhelming amount of your writing as my own, which anyone in this group
    will agree I did not. Funny how you failed to mention the data copy method
    of putting both drives in one machine. That's the first thing that I would
    think would come to mind, especially with such a seasoned professional such
    as yourself.

    Oh, I heard that there was a BIOS update, with undocumented enhancements,
    that would do this whole process for them if they pressed a hidden key
    combination while the system was booting. Do you think that the BIOS should
    be updated to address that?

    NuTCrAcKeR, Oct 4, 2004
  9. david

    NuTCrAcKeR Guest

    NIC = Ethernet Adapter (NIC stands for Network Interface Card)

    Unless Dell does something tricky with the installation of Windows, the
    default workgroup name *should be* WORKGROUP.

    Are you familiar with settiing up TCP/IP networking ? do you have an
    ethernet hub or switch? How is the Compaq computer's networking configured
    right now ?

    - NuTs

    NuTCrAcKeR, Oct 4, 2004
  10. david

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    Well you've already made your ineptness very apparent...I'm sure your skills
    and qualifications follow that closely.

    Are you a criminal? OR are you a smalltime newbie sysadmin?

    Ron Reaugh, Oct 4, 2004
  11. david

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    The guy wants to transfer a few files. Offer help not snow!

    Ron Reaugh, Oct 4, 2004
  12. david

    NuTCrAcKeR Guest

    You don't appear to believe in asking questions to collect pertinent
    information with which to fashion accurate, credible answers.

    Butt out, Ron (or whoever you are)

    - NuTs

    NuTCrAcKeR, Oct 4, 2004
  13. david

    NuTCrAcKeR Guest

    Gee, I missed that part. Can you clue me in on how you arrived at that higly
    refined conclusion?
    Oh, man, this is GREAT ! 1 response from me, and you are already stooping to
    name-calling. Sheeeeeze.

    Why dont you try to find out how smart I am ? Come on, this is your chance
    to Stump the Judge ! Make it a good one.

    -NuTs ( by the way, I own you already Ron. I have a nice rubber gimp suit
    that is just your size).

    NuTCrAcKeR, Oct 4, 2004
  14. david

    David Casey Guest

    Just ignore him. Ron is nothing more than a lame troll.

    David Casey, Oct 4, 2004
  15. david

    David Casey Guest

    Well, the 8400 should come with a built-in NIC. It's the plug on the back
    of your computer that looks like a large phone plug. It's known as an
    RJ-45 connector. Check to see if your old computer has a plug like that on
    the back of the system. If not, then a crossover cable and networking your
    machines together won't work unless you install a NIC card in the old
    machine.
    As the other poster said, generally the default workgroup is WORKGROUP.
    Also, I've found it often times a lot easier to install NetBIOS and use
    that to network machines together here at home. Less stuff to set up that
    way. I just used the Network Setup Wizard to get my two machines working
    together. Click on it and follow the prompts. :)
    No CD burner or no CD burning program? If you just don't have a burning
    program then have no fear. Windows XP can burn CD's on it's own. Just put
    a blank CD in the burner and the window that comes up is where you will
    drag stuff to that you want burned. Then just click the write files to CD
    (or whatever it says in the pane on the left) and there you go.

    If no burner then disregard. :)

    What kind of Zip drive do you have? Is it a USB model or is it built into
    your Compaq? If it's a USB just copy the files to a Zip disk and then move
    the drive to the new machine. If it's built it then it's probably an IDE
    model. While you could also just move the zip drive over, that is a bit
    more work.

    David Casey, Oct 4, 2004
  16. david

    NuTCrAcKeR Guest

    Nice Post, David

    ... one correction though: You meant to say the NetBEUI portocol (not
    NetBIOS).

    Its fast and lightweight. Easy to install and setup. It makes it so that
    other computers in the workgroup show up when you browse MyNetworkPlaces.
    But, you still have to create a "share" on the C drive, and/or D drive
    depending on what the Compaq system has.

    - NuTs

    NuTCrAcKeR, Oct 4, 2004
  17. david

    david Guest

    Thanks NutCrAKeR for you quick reply.
    I am sorry to say I am not familiar with setting up TCP/IP networking, and
    haven't
    a clue if I have a ethernet hub or switch. I am a novice as I am sure you
    can tell.
    I will be willing to find out how my computers networking is configured if
    you would
    be so kind as to tell me where to look. Although I did go to Network under
    the Configuration tab and "Client for NetWare Networks" is listed as is
    "File and printer sharing for NetWare Networks" if this helps. I found this
    looking it up under Help.
    Thanks again"
    david

    david, Oct 4, 2004
  18. david

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    The thread title fully characterizes what and who you are.

    Ron Reaugh, Oct 4, 2004
  19. david

    NuTCrAcKeR Guest

    It sounds like you are pouting, Ron. its not very becoming.

    - NuTs

    NuTCrAcKeR, Oct 4, 2004
  20. david

    NuTCrAcKeR Guest

    Hello David. I completely understand where you are coming from.
    Where did you aquire this computer form? From where did you get the Compaq?
    Do you live near a tech school, or university?
    Perhaps a local PC shop may be your best option. Or, a student might help
    for a small sum of moneyu. Unless you really want to learn how to do this,
    or time is a factor for you, you may want to consider getting some in-house
    assistance on this. Its something that can be accomplished via postings in a
    group, however, you would probably benefit most from having someone come in
    and walk you through how to do this (or do it for you and explain it step by
    step). A more interactive approach may be more beneficial to you. I dont
    know where you are located, and I am not asking for money to help you, but I
    have done this type of thing for other people and it has been time and money
    well spent.

    What method suits you best at this point ?

    - NuTs

    NuTCrAcKeR, Oct 4, 2004