    US Army Signal Corps!!

    http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

    David Casey, Oct 4, 2004

  2. david

    david Guest

    Thanks again Dave for the quick response.
    Unfortunate the Zip I have is built in so no help there.
    I will have a CD burner on the new computer but none on the
    old one. I did find out I had a Ethernet Port though and in you
    first response I believe you ask if I had an Ethernet adapter and if
    so I could attach a crossover cat-5 cable to each computer. Will
    the Ethernet Port help?
    Thanks.
    David

    david, Oct 4, 2004

  3. david

    David Casey Guest

    It should if the connector is an RJ-45 type. An RJ-45 connector is just
    like a phone line connector except larger to accommodate more pins.

    Also, if you do decide to network them together, make sure you get a
    *crossover* cat-5 cable. A cat-5e cable will also work fine. Just ask the
    sales clerk in whatever store you go to if you're not sure. Also, don't
    believe them if they tell you that you need the super expensive type of
    cable. You're not running a mission essential network or anything so the
    cheap cable should work just fine.

    I don't know if you game at all with friends and such, but a crossover
    cable is also great for hooking up two machines directly to each other to
    multi-play. I used to do that with a null-modem cable back before Ethernet
    ports and NIC cards were standard equipment. :)

    Dave

    David Casey, Oct 4, 2004
  4. david

    tim Guest

    David,
    within 21 days of your invoice date you will be eligible for free
    Advanced/Support from Dell. If you have a network card in the old
    computer, you could buy a crossover cable and call Dell technical
    support and ask for advanced support if the technician cannot help
    you. Advance support can help you install/configure the network.

    Other options which you have are :

    1. Remove the zip drive from old computer and install it in the new
    computer. For removal and installation of of parts in your Dell
    computer refer the manual that came with the new computer and you can
    also take the help of Dell technical support.

    2.Buy USB memory to transfer data. You could go for 256 MB.

    3.Help from others in this newsgroup.

    Tim.

    tim, Oct 4, 2004
  5. david

    Brian Guest

    4) Remove the old hard drive and install it in the Dell.

    a) Disconnect the old hard drive. Make note of which specific
    connector it was installed. Put a Post-It on the connector
    end or whatever.
    b) With drive in hand, make note of the jumper locations on a
    sheet of paper.
    c) The old drive is all but guaranteed to be IDE. Find a free
    IDE pigtail in the Dell. Jumper the old drive for Cable Select.
    Gently lean the drive against the case.
    Connect the IDE cable you found in the Dell. Add power
    (4 pin white translucent cable).
    d) Power on. Notice the new drive in Explorer. Copy away.
    e) Reverse the process.

    Brian, Oct 4, 2004
  6. david

    Darren B Guest

    This has to be the funniest post ive read for months. Thanks NuTCrAcKeR,
    and keep up the good work.

    Darren B, Oct 4, 2004
  7. GEE, Iwish I had all the time in the world to send garbage back and forth!

    Michael P Gabriel, Oct 4, 2004
  8. david

    david Guest

    Again thanks for the information.
    I did find a connector in the back of the Compaq that looks like a large
    phone
    line connector. It doesn't have any markings on it any place I can see but
    must
    be the Ethernet connector for the cat-5 cable.
    One more question? I only have one monitor. Will I be able to use the one
    for both computers
    when I hook up the cable, will this be a problem?
    david

    david, Oct 4, 2004
  9. david

    David Casey Guest

    That sounds like it's it.
    You can use one monitor if you have a KVM (keyboard video mouse) switch. I
    just recently bought one which allows me to use two computers using a
    single monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speaker set. All I do to switch
    between them is hit the SCROLL LOCK key twice and then either the up or
    down arrow. I believe mine cost $49.99 at Circuit City. You can probably
    find them cheaper if you look hard enough online.

    David Casey, Oct 4, 2004
  10. david

    david Guest

    This is the way I will go. The KVM (keyboard video mouse) I found was a
    IOGEAR MiniView Micro 2-Port USB KVM Switch with Built in 6' cables for
    $49.99. I have a Microsoft Natural MultiMedia Keyboard and Logitech
    Trackman
    Mouse I guess this would work with the KVM? Once all this is hooked up is
    there
    any other step I will need to take?
    Thanks again.
    david

    david, Oct 4, 2004
  11. david

    NuTCrAcKeR Guest

    GEE, Iwish I had all the time in the world to send garbage back and forth![/QUOTE]

    It appears you do

    ; -)

    NuTCrAcKeR, Oct 5, 2004
  12. david

    NuTCrAcKeR Guest

    Darren,

    I dont suppose you followed the flame thread where that joker was talking
    about undocumented enhancements to the bios as a prime reason to update it
    whenever possible .... Yeah, I was kicking him about that.

    Good times, Darren ... good times.

    NuTCrAcKeR, Oct 5, 2004
  13. david

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    Most changes in each new mobo BIOS are NOT documented. Always flash the
    latest mobo BIOS carefully.

    Ron Reaugh, Oct 5, 2004
  14. david

    David Casey Guest

    No, I think you'll be fine. Just network away.

    David Casey, Oct 5, 2004
  15. david

    NuTCrAcKeR Guest

    Is your name Darren? Was I talking to you, gimp ?

    If you dont address me as Master, I will have to rent you out to that gay
    biker gang for thier initiation practices

    Now shut-the-hell-up and get back in the box !

    NuTCrAcKeR, Oct 5, 2004
  16. david

    david Guest

    Thanks again Dave for all the help you have given me.
    Now that I am getting a new Dell computer I will probably
    be needing help again and It is great to know I can get it
    at this newgroup from knowledgeable and helpful people like
    youself and others.
    david

    david, Oct 5, 2004
  17. david

    David Casey Guest

    Usenet is like that. You might also check out the support forums at
    http://support.dell.com. There are a lot of folks there who can help out
    with any problems, too.

    David Casey, Oct 5, 2004
  18. I meant to post this yesterday, but got sidetracked. A lot of
    your "networking" questions can be answered by checking out
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com, which can tell you all you
    ever wanted to know and more about all of the basics involved in
    home networking - even if it is just a simple, peer-to-peer,
    crossover cable connection such as you are contemplating. It'll
    take a lot of mystery out of things.

    Ogden Johnson III, Oct 5, 2004
  19. david

    Darren B Guest

    Ive been reading use-net posts for years now and have always found them to be very informative. I
    dont post alot as im no expert, but its people like ron who always have to come along to a
    relativeley "peacefull" group and disrupt things. I Remember when the internet was primarily for
    intelligent people?? but i suppose anyone can join in now.

    Thanks to all who contribute to this group, Dell fans or not, i wouldnt miss a post.

    Darren B, Oct 5, 2004
  20. david

    Ron Reaugh, Oct 5, 2004