    And what can I say about Metro? Even with ClassicShell, woe unto you should you happen to run a Metro-style APP. All the apps want you to create an account for yourself on the Microsoft borg mothership to even run at all. So you run the App and click Cancel (or X), and you want to get back to theClassicShell Start button, or even the Metro excuse for Start? Well, Ctrl-Alt-Del works perfectly 'cause it lets you kill the offending app. And I do not know any other way to do so. Anybody have an idea? Quick, all you happy Windows 8 users, respond.

    The Inspiron M531R-5535 and similar models also get low scores for maintainability and repair. One long panel on the bottom comes off by loosening two screws, exposing the hard drive and memory. But the wifi card is nowhereto be found, hidden away somewhere beneath the plastic. And there is no way to clean the debris around the processor heat sink and fan, should the six cats in your house decide to shed in unison and bed down next to the laptop.

    Oh, yeah, avoid QVC. That's obviously the dumping ground for Michael's poorly designed hardware. Some of it, anyway. Windows 8 and such cheap and poorly designed computers do not bode well for Michael's newly privatized company... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Feb 11, 2014

  2. Ben Myers

    Steve W. Guest

    Must be a custom bargain basement machine to have that slow chip.

    Move cursor to top of screen on app.
    Click and drag down to close.
    Drag to left/right to drop app to 1/3 screen
    To get to metro/start while app in on screen go to lower left corner and
    it will pop up, select it and the app screen will come up.

    Steve W., Feb 11, 2014

  3. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    "a custom bargain basement machine." Right. Only $779. And from QVC!!!! Must be a bargain. Must be a basement. Filene's basement, once of Bostonfam, migrates to TV land, and product quality goes to hell. My refurb Dell E6410s and E6400s are way better for a lot less... Ben

    Ben Myers, Feb 12, 2014
  4. Ben Myers

    Bob_Villa Guest

    I just had a friend order a Toshiba with that quad for $300 from Best Buy!
    It got here in one day...I have to say 8.1 is almost bearable compared to the original incarnation!

    Bob_Villa, Apr 4, 2014
  5. Ben Myers

    Steve Guest

    r found their way from old Dell tower to new Dell laptop.
    Good old Alt+F4 will close any metro app on my Inspiron 7520.

    Steve, Apr 4, 2014
  6. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    Alt-Vomit.

    Ben Myers, Apr 5, 2014
  7. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    "Almost bearable." I guess you could say Windows 8.1 is damned by faint praise. I guess you could also say that 8.1 is forward(?) progress for Microsoft. Springsteen sang "One step up and two steps back." Must have been singing about the Windows waltz. Seriously, ClassicShell does restore some semblance of order to the whole mess, until we all get nimble with the touchscreen computers. When we get them.

    Ben Myers, Apr 5, 2014
  8. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    People complain about Best Buy prices. Well, they're better than QVC prices, FWIW.

    Ben Myers, Apr 5, 2014