    from my lost hard drive of 2 weeks ago on old Inspiron - I think I'll
    just quit and go to bed!

    SusanD

    cpy, Jul 4, 2005

  2. It is an option at the time of purchase. If you bought a SoundBlaster
    Audigy card you have firewire.

    Edward J. Neth, Jul 4, 2005

  3. cpy

    Tom Scales Guest

    Only if you ordered the Soundblaster Audigy 2 card. Otherwise, no firewire
    port.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jul 4, 2005
  4. cpy

    Curious Guest

    If this is like the olden days, Dimension 8400, being the top of the
    line, most likely would have one. But this is today and Dell is
    cutting corners at the expense of quality. Audigy sound card has it.

    Curious, Jul 4, 2005
  5. cpy

    braine_dead Guest

    I'm depressed...I have friends that bought a cheap HP from Staples
    (against my advice) and have firewire on a front port!
    (But it is loaded with so much crap...it takes 2 minutes to fully
    boot!)

    b_

    braine_dead, Jul 4, 2005
  6. cpy

    Tom Scales Guest

    Firewire just isn't that popular. USB2 has become the 'favorite'.

    Tom Scales, Jul 4, 2005
  7. cpy

    David Guest

    USB does not work with digital camcorders!!
    I do think it is quite odd that Dell does not include a firewire
    port or ports on any of their computers by default.
    Dave

    David, Jul 4, 2005
  8. cpy

    S.Lewis Guest

    The 9100 has 1394 by default.

    S.Lewis, Jul 4, 2005
  9. cpy

    S.Lewis Guest

    Apparently there are or were camcorders out there with USB interface.

    http://www.epinions.com/content_30294642308

    S.Lewis, Jul 4, 2005
  10. cpy

    David Guest

    Mine has a usb interface AND firewire. The usb is for
    the still camera function of the camcorder. Still need
    a firewire for the video...all of them are this way that I know
    of..Did you read the link you posted...make multiple reference
    to firewire for video transfer.
    This is a quote from the particular camera in your link.
    "With great picture quality, large LCD, USB and i.Link and rich set of
    features, the TRV17 is a joy and a good value"
    The i.link is firewire.

    Dave

    David, Jul 4, 2005
  11. cpy

    William Guest

    Yes my 8400 did not come with firewire and I installed a pci card for that
    purpose. It works much better than USB2 for video. Actually my camcorder can
    only transfer via firewire. Its faster, has audio and better quality. I
    found out about the audigy after I got the PC. A little disappointed but no
    big deal. The firewire card works great and has multiple ports on it. I only
    use USB for still images

    Bill

    William, Jul 4, 2005
  12. cpy

    Tom Scales Guest

    Of course it does not. I didn't say it did. My point was that USB2 is more
    popular as a general purpose port and a very small percentage of buyers
    would ever use Firewire. Not that many people use a digital camcorder and
    edit it on their PC and those that do would likely be careful about ensuring
    their machine has such a port, particularly since it is available in TWO
    ways during the order process -- either on the Audigy 2 card or as a
    stand-alone care.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jul 4, 2005
  13. cpy

    Tom Scales Guest

    Are you sure? I just looked at the specs and it talks about 7 USB2 ports
    but NO mention of Firewire.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jul 4, 2005
  14. cpy

    S.Lewis Guest

    S.Lewis, Jul 4, 2005
  15. cpy

    BigJim Guest

    if it doesn't have one you can buy one from almost any vendor on the
    internet for about 15 dollars US.

    BigJim, Jul 4, 2005
  16. cpy

    Monica Guest

    I have the 8400 with the Audigy card (with Firewire). At this point, I
    don't need Firewire and all I know about it is that it's faster, right?
    Does the Audigy USE this Firewire connection or is the premise here that I
    have access to a firewire port via the soundcard?
    Thanks,
    Monica

    Monica, Jul 4, 2005
  17. cpy

    Tom Scales Guest

    The Audigy doesn't use it, it just provides it on an odd assumption that if
    you have a high-end sound card, you might be into video :)

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jul 4, 2005
  18. cpy

    Notan Guest

    Faster? Faster than what?

    If you happen to need a Firewire connection, the folks at Creative have
    been nice enough to supply you with one. The card, itself, doesn't need
    the port.

    Notan

    Notan, Jul 4, 2005
  19. cpy

    Monica Guest

    I guess faster than USB2 (transfer rate)?? I told you I didn't know
    anything about it LOL Thanks for answering my question about the
    availability of it :)
    Monica

    Monica, Jul 5, 2005
  20. cpy

    Notan Guest

    Even though the raw data makes USB 2.0 look faster than Firewire
    (480 Mbps vs 400 Mbps), Firewire *is* faster.

    Have a look at http://www.cwol.com/firewire/firewire-vs-usb.htm.

    Notan

    Notan, Jul 5, 2005