New Dell desktop requires motherboard replacement and now strange screens at boot up

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Phil McCracken, Dec 22, 2009.

  1. Dell Studio Slim running Windows 7 less than a week old takes a crap.
    On-site service call results in replacement of motherboard. Now, at
    boot up, there are a couple screens I've never seen before and one
    seems rather lengthy. I've rebooted several times in order to get as
    much of it written down as I can. Here it is:

    The first screen flashes by pretty quickly:

    Realtek Gigabit Boot Agent
    Shift F10 to configure

    Then the second screen which seems to take an unacceptably long time
    to flash through:

    Intel UNDI, PXE 2.1 (Build 082)
    Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

    For Realtek RTL8111B/8111C Gigabit Ethernet Controller v2.15 (080314)

    CLIENT MAC ADDR: (string of numbers) GUID: (string of numbers)
    DHCP..... \ (spins for about a minute)

    PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE ROM.

    Can anyone advise as to what this is and can/should it be eliminated?

    Thanks!

    Phil McCracken, Dec 22, 2009

  2. Phil McCracken

    Gary Baldi Guest

    In the BIOS, look in the boot options and take the "other devices" or
    "other" out of the boot sequence.

    Also check to see if boot from LAN is enabled.

    If it is, disable it. PXE is a protocol that will enable you to boot
    from a network drive or server. When it says that it failed, it is
    because it could not find an OS on the network.

    Gary Baldi, Dec 22, 2009

  3. Hi!
    This is the result of an attempt to boot from the network.

    However, the board should not default to booting from the network even
    when it is new. That's a very good indication that the board is stuck
    in manufacturing mode, especially if you check the boot order in
    system setup and find it to be correct.

    I had a Dimension E521 board that did the same thing when first
    unboxed. I don't recall what I did to break it out of manufacturing
    mode. It might have been enough to simply run through system setup,
    change a few settings and go on.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Dec 22, 2009
  4. Phil McCracken

    Ben Myers Guest

    Many motherboards have a jumper setting to switch between manufacturing
    mode and vanilla mode... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 22, 2009
  5. Thanks to everyone for their help. I used your guidance to go into
    the BIOS and re-load the default settings which have apparently taken
    care of the problem.

    Thanks again, and happy holidays to all!

    Phil McCracken, Dec 24, 2009