    Microsoft patches Dell installed? I know some of those patches/updates
    have messed up people's computers so I thought maybe that could be it.
    So does anyone have any ideas?

    Mike, Nov 16, 2003

  2. How much memory is in the PC? Remember that your memory is shared with the
    video subsystem.

    Did you get the econo drive (5400 rpm)? That could also be a source of the
    speed issue.

    Have you tried removing SystemWorks? If removing it helps the speed then
    reinstall piece at a time until you find the cooperate. I'd bet its the AV
    component.

    Lastly make sure you go to disk manager and defrag your drive, especially
    after you uninstall and reinstall software.

    hth

    Robert R Kircher, Jr., Nov 16, 2003

  3. Mike

    Tom Swift Guest

    It's possible that you didn't uninstall things correctly. More likely,
    Norton SystemWorks is your problem. If you install it with the defaults it
    will suck the life from your system. SystemDoctor alone is a performance
    killer. Have a look at the program options: Do you really need all that
    stuff running in the background?

    And - in my personal opinion - get rid of AOL. It's like changing a dirty
    diaper.

    Tom Swift

    Tom Swift, Nov 16, 2003
  4. Mike

    G. Mark Kelm Guest

    SystemWorks is the problem. It is a huge resource hog. The 2400 shares
    system RAM with video and audio also. My advice is to make sure that you
    have at least 256KB of RAM (512KB is better) and limit the background
    applications running to the bare necessity.

    Mark

    G. Mark Kelm, Nov 16, 2003
  5. Mike

    Denzelpuppy Guest

    one thing you could check to see is in the BIOs select the CPU and make sure
    it is set to normal and not compatable

    Denzelpuppy, Nov 16, 2003
  6. If you still within the 30 day return policy, send it back.

    The Celeron is lame. If you can afford a few bucks more, get one with a P4.

    That aside ... I assume your running XP Home? Open the Task Manager and
    select the Processes tab. Click on the CPU heading to sort by CPU usage.
    What process(es) are using lots of CPU time???

    Lester Horwinkle, Nov 16, 2003
  7. That would be MB?

    Lester Horwinkle, Nov 16, 2003
  8. Mike

    BigJIm Guest

    Norton is the killer, have an inspiron laptop 2.4 gig P4 processor and it
    ran like shit. Removed Norton and it runs like it should. Of course I
    installed another AV program.
    \

    BigJIm, Nov 16, 2003
  9. Mike

    Chief Guest

    Do'oh - too early on a Sunday morning...

    Thanks for the correction.

    Mark

    Chief, Nov 16, 2003
  10. Mike

    Mike Guest

    My friend doesn't want to send it back because he can't wait 1-3 or
    however long it would take to get a new one. I think that's a big
    mistake. I don't even know what Dell's policy on returns/refunds is.
    Anyone know?

    I'm not sure but he either got 128MB RAM or 256MB. I think 128 though.
    Pretty stupid, huh? I swear, some people have no business even just
    looking at computers and he's one of them.

    Mike, Nov 16, 2003
  11. Mike

    John and Pat Guest

    128 MB AND a Celeron is the recipe for a slow system any way you slice it.
    The Celeron is not a bad processor depending on your uses. The biggest
    upgrade he should do, assuming that the system is not going back, is to
    install another 512MB of RAM. Then a good quick video card such as an ATI
    9600, if he can shell out the cost. Otherwise one of the lower ATI cards but
    one with 128MB of RAM. Then a 7200 RPM drive. He cannot expect to go budget
    on the system but expect it to run like a power system.

    Regards,
    John O.

    John and Pat, Nov 16, 2003
  12. Mike

    Curt Guest

    The first place to look is memory, it's inexpensive now-a-days. If he has
    only 128mb, it's not enough especially with the Celeron cpu no matter what
    the speed. 512mb is the minimum amount I'd recommend. Remove any
    preinstalled apps he has no use for. Case in point: a lady friend of mine
    has a DIM 2350 with a Celeron 2.2ghz cpu that had 256mb of memory. We
    upgraded the memory to 512mb, removed the extra apps, (McAfee, AOL,
    Dell/PaintShop Pic Studio, RealPlayer etc.) and saw a real performance boost
    even after installing NSW '02. You'll hear negative comments about NSW, but
    I use it on my desk-top and lap-top without issue. Keep in mind, that not
    all the NSW components have to be installed. NAV, WinDoctor and CleanSweep,
    (not SmartSweep), should be the only components he will regularly use.
    The one big draw back with the 2350 and 2400 is the shared memory for video.
    Investing in a decent video card will help tremendously. The ATI 9000 with
    64mbs of it's own memory is a good place to start. At a later date, if he's
    so inclined, upgrading the cpu to a P4 with the increased memory will make
    his system really fly. The P4 doesn't have to be the fastest, a 2.0ghz would
    be a good choice.

    Curt, Nov 16, 2003
  13. Mike

    Curt Guest

    I have to disagree. I'm using NSW '02 on a P4 2.0ghz Inspiron 1100, 512mbs
    memory, without any performance degradation. Of course, to each his own.

    Curt, Nov 16, 2003
  14. Mike

    PC Gladiator Guest

    It must have 256MB of memory.

    BUT, if Dell sold him a system with XP, an integrated video controller and
    128MB of memory then DELL is at fault for knowingly selling a poor
    performing system IMO He should call Dell to take the system back unless
    they provide him with another 128MB of memory GRATUS.

    PC Gladiator, Nov 17, 2003
  15. Mike

    Michael Guest

    yeah.. sure dell will send him more memory. you got to but it

    Subject: Re: New Dell PC is pretty darn slow.

    Michael, Nov 17, 2003
  16. No, the problem is that this guy is running a cheap (Celeron)
    processor with insufficient memory and is expecting it to run 'fast'.
    --
    Rich Cervenka
    Chicago, Illinois, USA

    Rich Cervenka, Nov 17, 2003
  17. Mike

    Hank Arnold Guest

    The difficulty with video cards is that the 2400 has no AGP slot. He'll have
    to find a PCI version and there aren't too many of them any more (at least
    not the newer cards).

    Hank Arnold, Nov 17, 2003
  18. Mike

    Curt Guest

    Best Buy has an ATI 9000 pci card with 64mbs of memory for $80.00.

    Curt, Nov 17, 2003
  19. Mike

    PC Gladiator Guest

    If Dell is sending out 2400s with 128MB, XP and an integrated video
    controller then they know the system will not perform due to lack of memory.
    Add to this the slow disk they put in the system and the system is designed
    to be a PRIZE WINNING DOG from day one. SEND IT BACK!

    PC Gladiator, Nov 17, 2003
  20. Mike

    S.Lewis Guest

    Either the OP cheaped out by purchasing the Celeron/XP combo with only 128mb
    of RAM, or a phone monkey in sales w/o a clue didn't offer good, functional
    configuration advice.

    If it was the former, the user deserves the tortoise he/she has.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Nov 17, 2003