  1. Mike

    WSZsr Guest

    AMEN!

    WSZsr, Nov 19, 2003

  2. Mike

    S.Lewis Guest

    <snip>

    This isn't helpful, nor even necessary. It's one thing to attempt to
    (successfully) stretch a thread to unimaginable lengths when advocating a
    baseless position.

    It's quite another to attempt intellectual muscle-flexing via name-calling
    for no especially good reason.

    You've lost quite a humorous argument. I'd suggest that you let it go and
    move on.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Nov 19, 2003

  3. Mike

    PC Gladiator Guest

    Can't do simple math can you?

    128 - 32 = 96

    96 not equal to 128

    The numbers don't lie.

    You *absolutely* no experience with one of these systems do you?

    Personally I think you're a Dell troll.

    PC Gladiator, Nov 19, 2003
  4. Mike

    PC Gladiator Guest

    Baseless??? Can you perform a simple math calculation?
    128 - 32 = 96
    96 not equal to 128
    The numbers don't lie. So Dell knows better than Microsoft what it needs?
    When somebody insults me, I will respond in kind. Especially when somebody
    is having a technical discussion and doesn't know the proper terminology
    while insulting me in the process.
    Lost? Has somebody proven that 96 is greater than or equal to 128? Again
    the numbers don't lie. People claim these systems run wonderfully yet have
    never used one. People won't admit these system have 96MB of useable memory
    which is contrary to MS recommendations. It is clear this newsgroup is
    loaded with Dell trolls that deny the obvious, ie.Dell is hawking
    substandard baseline 2400s on what are most likely unsuspecting newbies.

    PC Gladiator, Nov 19, 2003
  5. Mike

    Leythos Guest

    I am sure that you don't seem to understand computers or systems as
    designed.

    I never said anything about the shared memory used by the video and am
    fully aware of how it decreases the overall memory available to the OS -
    motherboard vendors have been doing this for YEARS!

    The numbers don't lie - the system will run as designed with 128MB of
    RAM, including the 32 shared for the Video. There was never anything in
    the design that stated "will perform like someone else thinks it
    should". The system will boot, will allow the user to get email and
    browse the web and install a printer. Nothing else is assumed or
    implied.

    I spec and install over $600,000 of Dell systems a year - how about you?
    Even non-Dell systems can be purchased in the same configuration -
    meaning 128MB Shared memory and Windows XP. The order this month, for
    one office, was more than $300,000 in servers and workstations (none
    were the sub $900 systems).

    You really need to try and learn about computers, design specs, and
    understand the simple FACT that a very cheap system IS expected to
    perform badly, but still to perform the basics. It will still work, but
    you get what you pay for.

    Leythos, Nov 19, 2003
  6. Mike

    Leythos Guest

    I can assure you that I was under the impression, based on your posts,
    that you have no technical knowledge at all - swap or paging relates to
    the same type of action - moving segments of ram to the hard-drive in
    order to free ram segments to allow for other applications to utilize
    that freed space. Not all applications will permit swapping or paging.
    Had I thought, in even the slightest way that you understand technology,
    I would have posted as such.
    No one said anything about 128MB being fully available for programs - in
    fact no one argued with you at all about the shared memory architecture
    and no one argued that the systems need more memory.
    No one denies that they have 96MB of program memory space. And many of
    us have used and supported people that use these same machines with the
    same spec's.
    Dell makes it quite clear that this is the lowest end system they
    provide - did you fail to see ANY of the other systems?

    Leythos, Nov 19, 2003
  7. Mike

    PC Gladiator Guest

    You really need to try and learn about computers, design specs, and
    GREAT! Then why doesn't Dell say this when you call up the 2400/128MB
    basline configuration? Why don't they say that the computer has been
    *configured* (not designed because it is designed to be faster) to provide
    access to a single app at a time which flies in the face of what one expects
    from a system with XP.

    I pity your employer, Dell right? Come on admit it!

    PC Gladiator, Nov 19, 2003
  8. Mike

    Leythos Guest

    Why should Dell say anything - it's 100% obvious to ANYONE that
    purchasing a stripped down computer is going to mean there are
    significant limitations. What ever happened to even doing 15 minutes of
    research before spending $500?

    As for what one expects - when you purchase a very cheap computer, with
    no where near the level of components that ALL of the other computers on
    the same site have, you already know that you are going to be limited in
    your ability to do more than a couple things at once. Following standard
    paging/swapping methods, the system, with 96MB of RAM, can provide
    internet browsing and fetching of email without any problems - if you've
    not owned one, or not used a system like this, then shut the frick up
    until you do it.
    You really are an antagonistic type. I own an IT company that provides
    Dell, Compaq (HP), and other vendors systems as part of a total IT
    architecture design for clients. We spec LAN/WAN environments for
    customers all over the World - Japan, Saudi, US, etc... Been doing this
    for most of 20 years. I've used Dell for years, since I got fed-up with
    Gateway's lack of support and customization ability.

    Leythos, Nov 19, 2003
  9. Mike

    PC Gladiator Guest

    I can assure you that I was under the impression, based on your posts,
    Just can't resist that backhanded swipe can you? Actually swapping was an
    old VAX VMS memory management technique that swapped the entire process
    context out of memory to a swap file. Paging is the movement of individual
    page segments to a page file. People use them interchangably but they were
    not originally the same thing. I've programmed memory management routines
    in Macro when you were likely in soiled diapers.
    Of course, I have viewed them all. The 2400/128MB is the *only one* that is
    a substandard configuration. Is Dell afraid that by configuring the correct
    amount of memory that too many people will flock to these "low end" systems
    and Dell won't make enough money? Because the 2400 with 256MB of memory
    (even with the onboard video controller, slow drive and Celeron) would
    satisfy the needs of the average home user and provide appropriate
    performance in the process.

    So how are things in Round Rock Texas these days?

    PC Gladiator, Nov 19, 2003
  10. Mike

    PC Gladiator Guest

    - if you've not owned one, or not used a system like this, then shut the
    frick up until you do it.

    But I DO own one! So I speak from experience which NOBODY else in this
    thread has mentioned. I bought a quick cheapie when lightening took out my
    last system. And it works GREAT when you put memory in it. Without the
    proper memory, it is a prize winning dog.

    So do YOU own one???

    PC Gladiator, Nov 19, 2003
  11. Mike

    Leythos Guest

    I own 14 servers and more than a Dozen workstations - in my home (not
    counting ones in the office). I do not own ANY computers with 128MB of
    RAM from Dell currently. On the other hand, I have supported more than
    30 clients/friends that have purchased these systems with the
    understanding of what they were purchasing (before they even asked me).
    So, yes, I have worked on and supported them, but I do not own something
    that is that low end.

    I have, in the past, owned several computers that were delivered with
    Windows XP Home and 128MB of shared RAM. My first step was to adjust the
    performance settings, then increase the RAM - these systems were just
    for web terminals in the testing center. Before increasing the RAM, I
    installed MS Office XP Professional on a couple of them and my kids were
    able to do homework (MS Word documents) without any problems (slow,
    slower when doing an auto-save, but it never failed) while also using IE
    to research their subject.

    You still don't understand it: Many people actually buy computers like
    the 128MB Shared Memory systems knowing they are getting a slow machine
    and knowing that they can upgrade it when they have more cash.

    Leythos, Nov 19, 2003
  12. Mike

    S.Lewis Guest

    <snip>

    <plonk>

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Nov 19, 2003
  13. precisely!

    interestingly i instructed my sister to buy one a sub $300 dimension 2400 p4
    2.4ghz/128mb/40gb/dvd/cdrw/etc/ machine and to purchase additional memory
    separately. she love it, can't believe how fast it is and since bestbuy was
    out of stock on the memory asked if she really needed it... of course she
    will be suitably impressed with the additionally memory installed, but it is
    interesting to me that someone that uses fast systems at an office all day
    was still impressed with the performance of this 128mb system for general
    use (ms office, internet, quicken).... perhaps it is the gamers that are
    surprised by the performance. pc games are horribly demanding and require
    lots of power. for cheap game play a ps/2 or game cube are much better
    choices than any low end pc.

    Christopher Muto, Nov 19, 2003
  14. i just can't help but wonder what the staff at mcdonalds makes of this guy
    when he criticizes the items on the "dollar menu".... ;)

    Christopher Muto, Nov 19, 2003
  15. did he get a 'value' hard drive (5400rpm instead of the 7200rpm drive for
    $10 more). did he get a celeron?
    return policy is 30 days from ship date (listed on the invoice). if you
    have had technical trouble, or just complain a lot, they will usually pay
    the round trip shipping. typically they require that you pay return
    shipping. call an discuss your return options immediately with customer
    care (not tech support). tell us your results. good luck.

    Christopher Muto, Nov 19, 2003
  16. Mike

    Tom Scales Guest

    You're not old enough to understand swapping and paging if you think the
    technique originated on a VAX VMS system.

    Nothing on the Vax was original thought.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Nov 20, 2003
  17. Mike

    Tom Scales Guest

    But McDonald's should be BANNED from allowing anyone to choose a 6 nugget
    MEAL for 99 cents. How can they call it a MEAL. We need government
    intervention. Everyone KNOWS that a MEAL requires at LEAST 9 nuggets, even
    though Microsoft recommends a minimum of 6 nuggets.....

    Oh wait, maybe I'm getting confused.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Nov 20, 2003
  18. Mike

    Joan Guest

    John, I'm with you on helping friends including getting them out of
    trouble too. I have friends who have owned PC's for years and really
    don't know a darn thing about them. As for Halo on the internet, I did
    kill one guy, but that was just plain luck :) My sister-in-law just
    got her second Dell a 4550. A nice system and she is happy with it.
    When I need help there are about 5 great guys on this newsgroup who are
    really knowledgeable and helped me when I needed it.

    You should have daughters. :) I'm lucky I have a great one who is very
    self sufficient and hardworking.

    Joan

    Joan, Nov 20, 2003
  19. And can you believe they even sell a 4 piece nugget box? Goodness.

    Robert R Kircher, Jr., Nov 20, 2003
  20. i saw an interesting debate about gaming and law... just because the digital
    world does not require that we conform to things in the real world like the
    law of gravity, should we not apply the rules of our legal system to our
    conduct in gamming? theft, murder, assault, etc.... your mention of halo
    made me wonder if you think that your halo avatar should go to jail for
    murder? or perhaps it was self defense... do you feel badly about killing
    the other avatar or did you enjoy it? is it just a game and you think i am
    silly for even asking? or is it the beginning of teaching and developing
    complete disrespect for one another? joan, i don't mean to attack you for
    mentioning what was probably an innocent encounter, i just wonder about this
    stuff as it becomes more and more real (and more impersonal, violent, and
    sometimes incredibly racist).

    Christopher Muto, Nov 20, 2003