    everyone was having problems and I wanted to know how good my Dimension
    8300 3.0 was. The Dimension is great. I really don't play Halo much,
    because I don't have the keyboard skills to even compete in the game.

    Joan, Nov 20, 2003

  2. Mike

    PC Gladiator Guest

    Well I would disagree that people buying these systems *know* they're slow.
    Dell certainly doesn't say that. And as I have said, these systems aren't
    inherently slow but they are slowed down by inadequate memory per MS
    recommendations.

    It is interesting that the first thing you did was add memory and tweak
    settings. You didn't mention adding memory earlier. Your increase in
    performance was more attributable to the memory than the tweaks I would
    suspect.

    PC Gladiator, Nov 20, 2003

  3. Mike

    PC Gladiator Guest

    I didn't say it originated with the VAX and didn't mean to imply it did.
    That was when I started working at that system level.

    Just about everything seems to get recycled and rewritten with computers.
    Must have to do with the "thriftiness" of engineers, ie. never throw
    anything away.

    PC Gladiator, Nov 20, 2003
  4. Mike

    PC Gladiator Guest

    Can't come up with a counter to real numbers huh? Now THAT sounds like a
    baseless position to me! Adios STEWY!

    PC Gladiator, Nov 20, 2003
  5. Mike

    PC Gladiator Guest

    I wouldn't know what MacDonalds sells these days. Haven't eaten that shit
    since high school. But it appears you are eating it and are indeed, full of
    it.

    Can't defend Dell's sustandard systems with facts and figures so you try and
    throw the proverbial red herring into the discussion. Pretty lame as well
    as obvious...

    PC Gladiator, Nov 20, 2003
  6. Mike

    Leythos Guest

    And I would say that people are not stupid - they may be uncaring in
    their purchase selection, but they are not stupid as a group. People, by
    nature, want to purchase cheap and then complain when it doesn't perform
    like the more expensive options. Considering the system was the cheapest
    retail (not used) system that Dell sells it's reasonable to assume that
    the person was expecting a lower performance system. The system does
    perform all tasks as specified - can you point to one thing that the
    system shipped with that does not work?
    As I said: (included quote from my post)
    I had the machines up and running for more than a week with 128MB of RAM
    - the local BestBuy was out of what I wanted :) As I noted, my kids had
    no problems using IE and MS Word XP on that system.

    The adding RAM part was only for the few machines "I" had that came with
    128MB - I have several neighbors and friends that still run with 128MB
    of RAM because they've never experienced a fast system and don't know
    the difference.

    Dell didn't scam anyone - the assumed that a person of normal
    intelligence would know that they were getting a bare-bones system with
    minimal performance margins. This same approach to bare-bones systems is
    used by ALL vendors.

    Leythos, Nov 20, 2003
  7. Mike

    PC Gladiator Guest

    Buying into the defense lawyers argument that "the game made him do it" huh?
    What a convenient transfer of responsibility for ones actions. Yes, just
    another poor victim (the trigger puller NOT the person he shot!)...

    PC Gladiator, Nov 20, 2003
  8. Mike

    PC Gladiator Guest

    I agree that somebody buying this system can't expect the same performance
    as the purchaser of a top of the line system. BUT, IMO the lowest level of
    performance that a system builder must provide is a level that meets the
    recommended requirement of the OS. Dell with the 2400/96MB system simply is
    not doing that.

    You know very well that the OS will not fail to run an app due to a lack of
    memory on XP. It will instead use a lot of CPU and disk I/O trying to
    compensate for the lack of memory. So the user is now taxing the CPU and
    disk drive with excessive paging which *may* result in earlier component
    failure.

    I think the consumers Dell is targeting with these prices and systems are
    NOT the people that know a lot about computers. They are not going to know
    how to find XP tweaks for performance. They are not going to know how to
    find newsgroups for support and help. The first timer buyers are the
    consumers that will trust Dell. In the 2400/96MB case, I think their trust
    in Dell is being abused.

    PC Gladiator, Nov 20, 2003
  9. Mike

    Leythos Guest

    I think that we're done here - while there is not a lot of activity in
    this group I'm sure the locals will appreciate the end of this thread.

    Leythos, Nov 20, 2003
  10. you, sir, could most definitely benefit from a happy meal. ;)

    Christopher Muto, Nov 20, 2003