    machine is totally racing. I'm a little concerned.

    Thanks,
    Bundy

    Vince F. Bundy, Jun 30, 2003

  2. Vince F. Bundy

    Jim Gunn Guest

    I've got a Dimension 8300 on the way right now, I'll let you know how
    it sounds compared to my current Dimension 4600 which is quiet.

    Jim Gunn, Jul 1, 2003

  3. Vince F. Bundy

    GarySport Guest

    My Dell 8300 is very quiet. The only time I hear any "racing" or "whirring" is
    when a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM first start up and gets up to speed, but that was like
    that on my old computers, too. Or was it obvious to you and the technician
    that it was a loud processor fan? That would be very odd to get a second one
    that is also loud. So far I've been impressed with my machine's quietness. So
    I really haven't helped you any, except to know that loudness is not normal.
    If you're sure the noise is in the fan, ask Dell if they can replace it with
    one from a different brand/supplie/batch If they don't have it resolved within
    the 30-day period you can send the system back for a refund. Good luck.

    GS

    GarySport, Jul 1, 2003
  4. Vince F. Bundy

    Joan Guest

    I just got a refurbished 8300 3.0, 800 FSB, HT, 128 meg ATI video card
    and 120 gig Seagate hard drive. It is very quiet.

    Joan

    Joan, Jul 1, 2003
  5. Vince F. Bundy

    Jerry Guest

    I'd keep at them until they provide a silent machine. It sounds like
    the old Microns which I hated due to the noise.

    Jerry

    Jerry, Jul 1, 2003
  6. I have a new Dimension XPS with a 3 GHz CPU and it is very loud. And
    yes, the new Pentium IV processors put out a lot of heat.

    You'll get different answers about noise level from this news group.
    That's because the noise level varies widely depending on ambient
    temperature, and CPU loading.

    The hotter the machine gets, the faster (and louder) the fans are. It's
    not just the CPU fan, there's at least one other fan that spins at a
    variable rate. Therefore, your noise level will increase when your
    computer room gets warm (summertime where you live?) and also when your
    computer is working hard.

    A few days ago it got really hot where I live, and the computer fans
    spun fast even when the machine was idle. Wow was it loud!

    If I get the CPU loaded at 100%, but the room is cool, the fans spin at
    an intermediate speed. It is still uncomfortably loud, to my tastes.

    I wouldn't expect that any of the mass market Pentium IV computers are
    quiet enough for any serious use in the workplace. The inescapable fact
    is that this processor dissipates a lot of energy under load, and so
    demands sophisticated cooling (if noise is a factor). I don't think
    that the problem is limited to Dell. I'm really sorry that I bought
    this computer, actually. The next time I upgrade, I'll try to find out
    what kind of computers large companies are buying for their cubicle
    farms. I feel pretty certain that they aren't buying 3 GHz Pentium IVs.

    David Arnstein, Jul 1, 2003
  7. Vince F. Bundy

    S.Lewis Guest

    Do you have a Radeon video card that uses its own fan?

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Jul 1, 2003
  8. Vince F. Bundy

    Andrew Guest

    My experience with my 8300 matches that of Gary. Very quiet. I have
    a couple of other systems, and I can't even tell if the 8300 is on
    when the other 2 are going.

    Andrew

    Andrew, Jul 1, 2003
  9. Vince F. Bundy

    cyberbob Guest

    I have the same problem with a Dell 8250 3.06. It is the processor fan. Dell
    made an exact replacement which did no good and then sent another fan that
    sounds quieter.

    I have started opening up the case, swinging it out to let more air into the
    case and that eventually brings the sound down to where it is barely
    audible.

    I wonder why Dell doesn't put a hole in the side of their case to let more
    air flow in and around the processor?

    cyberbob, Jul 1, 2003
  10. Vince F. Bundy

    S.Lewis Guest

    The fan pulls in air from the vents in front and back. The vents in front
    would seem inadequate. They consist of a small plastic grill underneath the
    front I/O door which mask a slightly larger amount of openings in the steel
    located around the hard disk cage. The only other intended openings are in
    the back steel, in excess holes/grilling below the CPU fan output grill.

    The case, as far as this matter goes, hasn't been changed since the
    Dimension 4300 which was the first (US) system to utilize the clamshell
    design.

    I suspect the case ventilation is generally enough, though I prefer a case
    that can "breathe" far more easily. One has to believe that the Dell design
    was fully prototyped and tested, so I wonder if the fans themselves aren't
    more the problem.

    Fan vendors may be partly responsible, inasmuch as JMC/Datech fans have been
    an on/off again problem (in this newsgroup) since the inception of the
    current chassis. NMB fans seem to be unscientifically less of a problem.

    The current case also has an enormous amount of plastics on its skin which
    are a risk to vibrate/hum during operation.

    Since the fan is variable speed with a sensor, the heat generated by (and
    airflow restricted by) different hardware configurations can and does vary.
    Almost all of the 3GHz machines have a different heatsink than their
    predecessors.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Jul 1, 2003
  11. Vince F. Bundy

    Tom Almy Guest

    If you need the speed, you need the speed. The Dell Optiplex line is
    intended for office use, and it has some quieting features. I've got a
    GX60 that's totally silent which I bought a few months ago. However it's
    got a 1.8 GHz Celeron processor and embedded video so it would make one
    crappy gaming machine (and I assume you bought an XPS as a gaming machine).

    Tom Almy, Jul 1, 2003
  12. Thanks for all your input.

    Yes, it definitely is the processor fan. If I open the computer up to
    let some air in, it sounds slightly quieter. If I open up the plastic
    casing enclosing the fan, the fan immediately slows right down to a
    "normal" speed and loudness. As soon as I close the plastic casing,
    the fan immediately revs right up.

    So yes, it's definitely the fan. My question... If I were to remove
    this plastic casing, would that damage the processor? (In other
    words, would it overheat?) The way I see it, the casing is making
    things HOTTER, as the fan revs up like crazy as soon as I close it.

    Also, I removed the fan from my old Dell (a Dimension XPS-T) to use on
    my new Dell. This fan was quiet. I'm not sure if it's even
    compatable with my new model, but it's worth a shot. (I'm not exactly
    sure how to get the fan out on the new computer, though...or how to
    install the oldeer one.)

    Again, thanks. Apparently, about one in three of you have had the
    same problem. That's not a very good percentage for Dell.

    Bundy

    Vince F. Bundy, Jul 1, 2003
  13. For what it's worth, my 4550 is very quiet but we had a warm spell earlier
    in June and the a/c was not on yet. Needless to say the computer room got
    rather warm and the CPU fan was really cranking out some noise as it
    increased in speed ( I assume they are variable speed fans). Once the a/c
    came on in the house, the noise level was back to barely noticeable.

    Regards,
    John O.

    John and Pat Ochenduszko, Jul 1, 2003
  14. Vince F. Bundy

    MLD Guest

    If it was normal would Dell have sent a technician right over to your house?

    MLD, Jul 1, 2003
  15. I figured as much.

    The funny thing is, the fan on my old Dell was one of the Datech fans,
    and that was quiet. The fan on my new Dell is a NMB, and that's loud.
    From reading the stories on here, it seems as if this should be the
    other way around.

    Bundy

    Vince F. Bundy, Jul 1, 2003
  16. I believe that the main factor is how warm the room is where the
    computer is located.

    David Arnstein, Jul 2, 2003
  17. Vince F. Bundy

    cyberbob Guest

    Thanks, Stew. Excellent response.

    Is Dell responding to these complaints as they seem to be gaining in volume?

    cyberbob, Jul 2, 2003
  18. Vince F. Bundy

    stew1960 Guest

    Bob,

    So far as I can tell, Dell's responding (and has, even since the Dimension
    4100 days, by replacing the CPU fans, once, twice, even more according to
    some posts here.

    Thing is, noise is relative to the user. I have a Dim4100 that was quiet
    until I added a GeF4 Ti4200 with its own fan. While it is, to me, moderately
    noisy, it is nothing compared to my homebuilt system, which has many more
    fans.

    Some people are legitimately sensitive to even low levels of noise. I'm
    lucky in that I'm not one of them.

    Stew

    stew1960, Jul 2, 2003
  19. Vince F. Bundy

    stew1960 Guest

    Certainly a factor. Good point. Also specifically whether or not the tower
    is cooped up inside of a tower drawer in a PC desk, which would also affect
    ventilation considerably.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Jul 2, 2003