    there be problems with hardware drivers?
    TIA

    b_v

    Bob Villa, Jun 14, 2009

  2. Bob Villa

    Ben Myers Guest

    Probably not. If the Dell web site does not have them, you have to
    identify all the chipsets (motherboard, graphics, audio, wifi, Ethernet
    and modem) and download the drivers from the chipset mfrs' web sites.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 14, 2009

  3. Bob Villa

    Bob Villa Guest

    Thanks for the responses!

    Bob Villa, Jun 14, 2009
  4. Bob Villa

    S.Lewis Guest

    You're Bob Freaking Villa. How big of a problem could it be?

    S.Lewis, Jun 15, 2009
  5. Bob Villa

    Ben Myers Guest

    You mean the This Old House guy? ... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 15, 2009
  6. Bob Villa

    S.Lewis Guest

    You've seen the dude too?

    Except he has only one "L" in his last name. He can fix anything.

    S.Lewis, Jun 15, 2009
  7. Bob Villa

    Bob Villa Guest

    Actually, he watched the other guys do things...I never saw him do
    anything but plug Sears and insurance.

    Bob Villa, Jun 15, 2009
  8. Bob Villa

    S.Lewis Guest

    Actually, he watched the other guys do things...I never saw him do
    anything but plug Sears and insurance.

    "heresy" g

    S.Lewis, Jun 15, 2009
  9. Bob Villa

    Ben Myers Guest

    Is he also a part time veterinarian, too? Veterinarians have
    reputations as good fixers, too! ... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 16, 2009
  10. Bob Villa

    Tom Lake Guest

    Is he also a part time veterinarian, too? Veterinarians have reputations
    Why do they call it getting your animal "fixed" when it doesn't work right
    after?

    Tom Lake, Jun 16, 2009
  11. Bob Villa

    Bob Villa Guest

    It's more like..."I'll fix your wagon!" (It still may wag...but only
    one purpose remains)

    Bob Villa, Jun 16, 2009
  12. Bob Villa

    Ben Myers Guest

    Whether or not the animal works right afterward depends on expectations.
    The animal did not know what to expect, so it does not work right.
    The owner and the vet know exactly what to expect, and they are not
    disappointed... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 16, 2009
  13. Bob Villa

    Bob Villa Guest

    I am a bit cloudy on this...if I install XP and it presumably has no
    drivers...will it ask for say "chip-set" driver and you put in another
    CD?
    Dell does list the XP drivers (Inspiron 1545) but there are multiple
    files for many items.
    Thanks
    Bob

    Bob Villa, Jun 24, 2009
  14. Bob Villa

    WSZsr Guest

    You will have to download each driver - depending on your laptop
    configuration and install them individually starting with the chipset
    driver. Depending on the version of XP you have, you may need to install
    the SATA driver in the initial part of the XP installation or XP will not
    see the hard drive. There is a step-by-step procedure on Dell's website.

    WSZsr, Jun 24, 2009
  15. Bob Villa

    Ben Myers Guest

    XP installs basic default drivers for any chipsets for which drivers are
    not on the install CD/DVD (the latter for Media Edition.) It's all a
    question of timing. XP was released in 2001, XP Media in 2005. Any
    chipset initially shipped after the XP CD/DVD was produced will probably
    (99+% chance) not have drivers. The system runs with the default
    drivers, but in a greatly degraded mode with vanilla default video, hard
    drive and optical drive drivers. XP does not nag you for drivers for
    all the little yellow exclamation points in Device Manager.

    You get the chocolate chip flavor of driver from either the Dell web
    site or the web site of the chipset manufacturer. Dell has an extensive
    (perhaps the most extensive) driver collection on its web site, so you
    go to the support section, select the model or enter the service tag,
    select your operating system and download the drivers one at a time.

    To get best results, you MUST install the motherboard chipset driver
    first. After that, you can do video, Ethernet, wifi, audio, touchpad,
    etc in most any order until all the exclamation points go away.

    Save yourself some time and do not reboot the system after each driver
    installation finishes, except for the most important motherboard chipset
    driver... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 24, 2009
  16. Bob Villa

    Bob Villa Guest

    Thanks Ben, so XP WILL install and then install chipset and the
    rest...got ya!

    Bob Villa, Jun 24, 2009
  17. Bob Villa

    Bob Villa Guest

    Should I be concerned about SATA? I know the HDD uses it...not sure
    about the DVD/RW.
    As WSZsr has stated...that could be a stumbling block. Both Dell XP
    versions I have are SP1 and I have a disk for SP2.
    bv

    Bob Villa, Jun 25, 2009
  18. Bob Villa

    Ben Myers Guest

    Yes, be concerned about SATA. Very much! Chances are the DVD/RW is
    PATA. If your system has a floppy drive, you can use the decidedly
    retro (so last century! I cannot understand though why XP does not
    support older 8" floppy diskette drives. ) approach of finding the
    necessary SATA drivers somewhere, starting up SP1 and inserting a floppy
    with some SATA stuff when the installer asked you to press F6. I have
    never suffered through this, so I cannot begin to tell you how exactly
    to do it... Ben

    Ben Myers, Jun 25, 2009
  19. Bob Villa

    Bob Villa Guest

    The Dell site lists the DVD/RW as SATA and has no floppy
    (3.5,5.25,or8")...so I guess flashdrive will work...I hope!

    Bob Villa, Jun 25, 2009
  20. Bob Villa

    Ben Myers Guest

    Flash drive will NOT work. Thank Bill Gates & Co for their unbelievable
    stupidity. A floppy is the ONLY way to load drivers after pressing
    F6!!! State of the art feature... Ben

    Ben Myers, Jun 25, 2009