    there is a place to connect it!

    Side note: the daughter is starting to like Ubuntu...all may not be
    lost!

    Bob Villa, Jun 26, 2009

  2. Bob Villa

    Bob Villa Guest

    But if it won't handle a USB flashdrive...would it work with USB
    floppy?

    Bob Villa, Jun 26, 2009

  3. Bob Villa

    Ben Myers Guest

    Because that is the way the dummies from Microsoft did it. Or were they
    being cunning to make it more difficult for all of us???

    This is not a hardware problem. It is strictly the way the Microsofties
    wrote the XP install program... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 27, 2009
  4. Bob Villa

    Bob Villa Guest

    I thought I used a USB mouse when I did an install...but this wouldn't
    mean it would recognize a drive.

    Bob Villa, Jun 27, 2009
  5. Bob Villa

    Bob Villa Guest

    I wonder if you can burn a disc of XP and include SATA drivers in that
    burn!?

    Bob Villa, Jun 27, 2009
  6. Bob Villa

    Bob Villa Guest

    Bob Villa, Jun 28, 2009
  7. Bob Villa

    Bob Villa Guest

    Did M$ leave-out a generic SATA driver from SP3? Shame!

    bob_v

    Bob Villa, Jul 1, 2009
  8. Bob Villa

    S.Lewis Guest

    Did M$ leave-out a generic SATA driver from SP3? Shame!

    bob_v

    Negative.

    Unlike SP2, I was able to setup a clean install w/RAID1 using an XP Pro SP3
    disc; a trick I hadn't been able to pull off until that time.

    My system (XPS420 desktop) was never sold from the factory with anything
    other than WinVistaHomePrem.

    The SATA drivers are there in SP3.

    -Stew

    S.Lewis, Jul 1, 2009
  9. Bob Villa

    Bob Villa Guest

    And I believe there is a way to merge (slipstream) SP3 into a burn of
    XP.
    Thanks,
    bob_v

    Bob Villa, Jul 1, 2009
  10. Bob Villa

    Ben Myers Guest

    Nope. Windows XP (Home, Pro or Media Center) has drivers for SATA
    drives in SP2 and SP3. But not "classic" XP (like classic Coke, right?)
    or XP w/SP1... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 2, 2009
  11. Bob Villa

    Ben Myers Guest

    Yes, but if you have a Dell "reinstallation" CD with SP2, either Home or
    Pro as appropriate, you do not need to slipstream anything to install on
    SATA drives. The SATA drivers are there in SP2. All the slipstreaming
    does is save you the time to download and install SP3. The only benefit
    of a slipstreamed XP with SP3 comes from using it repetitively. If I
    had to do a one-off install, I would not bother slipstreaming
    anything... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 2, 2009
  12. Bob Villa

    S.Lewis Guest

    Ben,

    Oddly, some of the Dell-badged SP2 discs don't seem to have the driver - and
    I happen to have one of those unfortunately.

    During threads a year or two ago, I seem to recall Scales confirming this as
    he had multiple systems/SP2 discs.

    Some would work, some wouldn't, fwiw. Maybe Tom can confirm or correct what
    I'm saying.

    -Stew

    S.Lewis, Jul 2, 2009
  13. Bob Villa

    Ben Myers Guest

    I must lead a charmed life. All my Dell XP SP2 disks have the SATA
    drivers... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 2, 2009
  14. Bob Villa

    WSZsr Guest

    XP? What is that?

    WSZsr, Jul 2, 2009
  15. Bob Villa

    Ben Myers Guest

    Haven't heard of XP? Ah, you must be running Windows 98... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 2, 2009
  16. Bob Villa

    S.Lewis Guest

    Pay no attention to that post, Tim.

    He's just stomping my berries.

    S.Lewis, Jul 3, 2009
  17. Bob Villa

    WSZsr Guest

    berries?? bragging again Stew?

    WSZsr, Jul 4, 2009
  18. Bob Villa

    Bob Villa Guest

    I would suggest anyone trying to use this "How-To"...also go to the
    nLite site and use theirs to figure it out.
    I burned a disc with the driver on it.
    I know the driver is there...and the disc boots...but I haven't tried
    the install...yet!

    Thanks again for all your help!
    bob_v

    Bob Villa, Jul 6, 2009