New drivers for Promise 20376 SATA/RAID controller on A7V8X ?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Mark, Nov 11, 2004.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    This is a three-part question.
    1) Can the FASTTX2K.SYS driver for the on-board Promise 20376
    SATA/RAID controller be updated (from 1.00.0.8 to 1.00.1.37). The
    newer driver, which is WHQL-certified, is listed on ASUS's download
    site for other AMD/Via boards that use the same Promise controller. I
    ask because ever since I went to a single SATA drive on my system,
    Windows XP's Hibernate function causes an instant BSOD referencing the
    driver and some kind of IRQL stop error. Standby works OK, by the
    way.

    2) If the answer to the first question is Yes, can the update be done
    simply by "installing" the .INF file without messing up an otherwise
    working system. In other words, can I do it without reinstalling XP?

    3) Are there other possible causes for the Hibernate BSOD? My system
    is A7V8X with AMP XP1700+, 512MB PC2700 RAM, XP Home w/ SP1, Maxtor
    80GB SATA, no IDE hard drives, two opticals on IDE primary, and the
    usual other stuff. I'm guessing that SP2 won't have any positive
    effect on this problem.

    Thanks, and sorry for the long post.

    Mark

    Mark, Nov 11, 2004

  2. Hi Mark,

    I have no idea about the error you are having, but I do have the .37 drivers
    installed yesterday on a brand new system. Not in raid mode, just one single
    s-ata drive. I haven't had much time to field-test it properly but
    everything seems to work allright.

    One question, did you *need* to install the promise drivers at the beginning
    of your OS install?
    I had a epox board with a normal s-ata controller and that one was properly
    detected when I tried to install xp.
    But with the asus board, the xp installation reported that there wasn't any
    fixed drive available for installation, even if I changed the s-ata
    controller settings to win9x/me/nt compatible mode.

    regards,
    Marcel

    Marcel Overweel, Nov 12, 2004

  3. Mark

    Mark Guest

    I switched from an IDE drive to an SATA drive (after mirroring the
    contents) without re-installing the OS. I did have to interrupt the
    boot process to install the SATA/RAID drivers from the ASUS CD that
    came with the MBboard. I'm not using RAID either, but the Promise
    20376 controller handles both SATA and RAID. Once I adjusted the
    necessary BIOS settings, XP saw the new drive and I was able to remove
    the IDE drive. Now I'm wondering if I can update the Promise drivers
    using either F6 during boot or by installing them from the .INF file
    that is part of the driver set.

    Mark, Nov 12, 2004
  4. Mark

    MM Guest

    I have the same Hibernate BSOD problem. What is your Stop Error Code? I am
    getting 0x8E (KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED) with the 0xC0000005
    STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION code. The system is however quite different. The
    only common thing is that it boots from a SATA drive. Otherwise I have K8V
    SE Deluxe with Athlon 64 3000+, 512MB PC3200 RAM, XP Pro w/ SP2, Maxtor
    160GB SATA, another 30GB Maxtor on IDE1, DVD RW on IDE2, GeForce 4 video
    card. I also have a UPS, which I connected to the machine with a serial
    cable. I configured it to send a message through native windows messenger
    service on power failure and on restoring power. When it comes out of
    hibernate state successfully I am getting one of these messages. So, I've
    been thinking this had something to do with the error... It needs networking
    to send this message, so I thought if networking is late to come up it might
    cause a problem... Do you have a similar setup by any chance?

    /MM

    MM, Nov 16, 2004