    My question: Does it make a difference whether the DVD burner is attached to
    the master connector or the slave connector?

    Rocky

    Rocket J. Squirrel, Feb 10, 2004

  2. Rocket J. Squirrel

    Pat Conover Guest

    Rocket, I just put one in my 4550 and it recommends to install as primary on
    the secondary IDE. I removed my DVD-ROM, set the new DVD burner as cable
    select and installed the DVD burner on the end of the cable in the old
    position of the DVD-ROM. Both work great. Apparently the DVD burner needs
    the primary position on the IDE versus the CD burner. HTH

    Pat Conover
    *nospam*

    Pat Conover, Feb 10, 2004

  3. Rocket J. Squirrel

    Tom Scales Guest

    That's a CYA position for the manufacturer.

    Either spot works fine.

    Tom Scales, Feb 10, 2004
  4. Rocket J. Squirrel

    WSZsr Guest

    Doesn't matter.

    WSZsr, Feb 10, 2004
  5. Rocket J. Squirrel

    Pat Conover Guest

    Tom, Good to see you back active in the group. Your probably right about
    the CYA. But in my case it also worked out pretty convenient, since all I
    had to do was remove the old DVD-ROM and replace it with the DVD-burner,
    making it the primary on the secondary IDE. Funny thing was the default
    setting on the DVD burner was jumpered slave. All of the new HD I've
    installed come defaulted to CS. I guess they figure most people have one HD
    and one CD-ROM, DVD-ROM or burner on the IDE channels and the slave setting
    would work for most of them. Again, just a guess.

    BTW, the Lite-On 411S I ordered from NewEgg turned out to be a 451S, with
    the latest Firmware already installed. Had to update to the latest Nero
    version to recognize the burner, but it has worked flawlessly since :)

    Pat Conover
    *nospam*

    Pat Conover, Feb 10, 2004
  6. Alan S. Wales, Feb 10, 2004
  7. Read the article...now that's funny! Photographers also have a problem
    because they use flashes in a master-slave configuration.

    Rocky

    Rocket J. Squirrel, Feb 10, 2004