New Epox MB - why is my SATA drive so slow??

Discussion in 'Epox' started by zach, Sep 10, 2006.

  1. zach

    zach Guest

    My Asrock Dual-Sata mamaboard bit the dust. Just replaced it with an Epox
    EP-9U1697GLI (Socket 939 with AMD 3200+ Venice). Had to do a repair install of
    XP to get things working again (with lots of driver installs of course.)

    My Sata disk is a Hitachi Deskstar T7K250. I used FreshDevice for a hard disk
    benchmark and was amazed at what happened: the read and write performance both
    show about HALF the values for when it was in the Asrock - the performance is
    now the equivalent of an old 5400 rpm drive!

    The drive was already configured for Sata 3.0 using the Hitachi driver disk and
    I double checked it after the new mb install. The Device Manager ULI Sata
    Controller shows 3.0 GB/s and Enable Native Command Queue has been enabled.

    I gotta be missing something because this board usually has excellent reviews in
    the performance arena.

    Any ideas where to look next?

    Thanks -

    zach

    zach, Sep 10, 2006

  2. zach

    zach Guest

    Yeah, where to start looking is FreshDiagnose (orig. post misleading, Fresh
    Devices is the developer)!

    I ran HDTach, got very respectable results (186 Mb/s burst speed, avg read 52
    Mb/s). Using the internal benchmark (Device Manager, Sata controller properties,
    ULi settings, Test speed) gave similar results.

    zach

    zach, Sep 10, 2006

  3. zach

    Graham W Guest

    Well done zach!

    So FreshDiagnose isn't to be trusted here it seems.
    Hope the rest of the job goes smoothly.

    Graham W, Sep 10, 2006