    Hit the 'find out how' and inside there's a "request an invite" button.
    (You need a Google account (e-mail) to set the invite).

    The video is worth a gander.

    Alan Browne, May 18, 2013

  2. Alan Browne

    Savageduck Guest

    Very pretty. However, after discounting some of the useful features it
    seems to be just a more refined personal data mining tool to target the
    user to paying business clients and their business establishments.

    Savageduck, May 18, 2013

  3. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Google doesn't charge anyone to list their establishment on a map. You
    can do that through Google+, through Map Maker and probably other means.
    From there of course, businesses can pay Google for higher placement
    on search results.

    Alan Browne, May 18, 2013
  4. Alan Browne

    Davoud Guest

    Savageduck:
    I never thought that Google was a charity. Did you think that?

    You separate the linking of users to paying business clients from the
    useful features that Google Maps (GM) offers. I conflate the two. About
    90% of the time when I use GM I am looking for a business, and much of
    the time that business is a restaurant. I look forward to the day when
    the ad targeting is sufficiently sophisticated that I don't see
    fast-food or pizza joints, but only better-quality restaurants.

    Davoud, May 19, 2013
  5. Alan Browne

    Patty Winter Guest

    They can't be a charity. They had to pay for all those multicolored
    bikes my friends and I saw while we were geocaching around the
    Googleplex today. :)

    Patty

    Patty Winter, May 19, 2013
  6. Alan Browne

    JF Mezei Guest

    Duringthe Google keynote, it was confirmed that the maps improvements
    are coming to their IOS application too.

    JF Mezei, May 19, 2013
  7. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    The cross posting didn't clue you in I guess.

    Or didn't you read the bottom of the cited page:

    On Android: Directions Everywhere Imagery Everywhere Search
    Everywhere Customize and Share

    On iPhone: Directions Everywhere Imagery Everywhere Search
    Everywhere Customize and Share

    Safe bet that what's available on iPhone will be on iPad as well - if
    perhaps not optimized.

    Alan Browne, May 19, 2013
  8. Alan Browne

    Fred Moore Guest

    I never thought that Google was a charity. Did you think that?

    You separate the linking of users to paying business clients from the
    useful features that Google Maps (GM) offers. I conflate the two. About
    90% of the time when I use GM I am looking for a business, and much of
    the time that business is a restaurant. I look forward to the day when
    the ad targeting is sufficiently sophisticated that I don't see
    fast-food or pizza joints, but only better-quality restaurants.[/QUOTE]

    As I posted to yesterday's Macintouch Security forum:
    <http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/security/index.html#d18may2013>

    Google's intrusion in your private life just got even deeper, but most
    people don't seem to care. Can Apple be far behind?

    Google Escalates the Competition in Map Services
    <http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/16/technology/google-escalates-the-compet
    ition-in-map-services.html>
    "When users who are logged into Google visit Maps, they will see the
    places they frequently visit highlighted, like restaurants, museums and
    their home. Google learns the places they go by drawing information from
    *all* of Google's services " including search and Maps history, Google
    Plus posts and **information in users' Gmail in-boxes**." [my emphasis]

    So much for "Don't be evil". The only Google service I use is search,
    and that via StartPage <https://startpage.com/eng/> At least it's some
    defense.

    Fred Moore, May 19, 2013
  9. Alan Browne

    Guest Guest

    if you don't want that, don't log in.

    Guest, May 19, 2013
  10. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    You have to prove what they do with the data is "evil".

    eg: Are they using it to compile reports about you to the government?

    If you're really that paranoid, set up a fake gmail account with
    completely fictitious data and use a VPN to access all Google web pages
    from a different locale.

    And get a pre-paid smartphone if you access Google features while mobile.

    etc.

    But really, Google's motive is to make money using "big data". In
    exchange for your data (whether real or anonymous - they don't care)
    they give you all sorts of services in return.

    And if you believe that Apple's motivation in supplying iOS maps is any
    different or somehow more noble I'd like to hear the details.

    Alan Browne, May 19, 2013
  11. Alan Browne

    Davoud Guest

    Fred Moore:
    As little as Apple talks about what they are doing, they could be in
    the lead. But I'm being facetious; Apple couldn't really be in the lead
    because it's maps we're talking about here, and Apple is still losing
    the struggle with maps. I have sent four corrections telling them that
    the shopping center in Odenton, Maryland, is not the Odenton Medical
    Center (it does not have even one medical office), but to no avail. I'm
    not going to continue to bang my head against a wall over Apple's
    incompetence in that area. This is not the only sign that Apple is a
    company in decline.
    So long as we are ruled by the corporate state, this will be our lot.
    And that looks like being forever. It seems likely that, since Google
    services require log-ins, they know exactly whose e-mail and location
    data they are using, and that they have a stored record with full
    identifying data, waiting to be stolen by a crime syndicate.
    I laughed derisively the first time I saw that, how many years ago!?

    Davoud, May 20, 2013
  12. Alan Browne

    Lewis Guest

    Lewis, May 20, 2013
  13. I've told Google countless times that what they have listed as "Crestview
    Chateaux" is really "Sun River", but to no avail. This error on google
    maps is almost a decade old. And they don't even list Cooper Commons; the
    two subdivisions occupy a square mile, with Sun River taking up the
    southeast quarter. They have the adjacent subdivisions labeled correctly.

    This is evidence of Google's decline and incompetence.

    Michelle Steiner, May 20, 2013
  14. Alan Browne

    Lewis Guest

    No they do not. I have never had to login to use google maps or google
    search or google news or google earth or google images or google
    shopping or most any google service.

    Lewis, May 20, 2013
  15. Alan Browne

    JF Mezei Guest

    Wild idea here:

    what if Apple intends to drop its own map product because it has
    realised how difficult/expensive it would be to get it right ?

    Consider that Apple hasn't made its maps available on the web or as an
    app for OS-X.

    Stories that suggested corrections not being made.

    No talk about Apple making great strides in improving its mapping product.

    Ever since Google made its own Maps app available on IOS, has there
    really been a need for Apple to improve its own maps app ? Does anyone
    still use it or is everyone using Google's ?

    Perhaps we might get some insight at WWDC in a few weeks.

    JF Mezei, May 20, 2013
  16. Alan Browne

    Guest Guest

    they definitely will not.
    apple maps on os x has been rumoured.
    many of them.
    presumably at wwdc, they'll brag about how much better it is.
    it's a mix of both. since you can't change the default app, map links
    open apple's map. google provides a handler to open theirs but an app
    has to support it. some do. not all.
    no perhaps. that's the place.

    Guest, May 20, 2013
  17. Alan Browne

    Rod Speed Guest

    I bet they aren't on that last, except in the sense that they may
    not be putting quite as much emphasis on the amount of effort
    being put into getting it right before the general public sees it
    with Jobs now dead.

    That's not in decline, that's more a change of emphasis.
    We aren't and haven't been for a long time now, most obviously with Linux.
    Nope, we will always see stuff that doesn't do it like that available.
    Nope, most obviously with Linux.
    Bet they aren't that stupid, if only because of how spectacularly
    the shit would hit the fan if that ever happens.
    That says a hell of a lot more about you than anything else.

    Rod Speed, May 20, 2013
  18. Alan Browne

    Rod Speed Guest

    Yeah, very wild.
    I doubt that they wouldn't have thought about that before they did it.
    And we will see how true that ends up being.
    Hardly surprising given the errors seen when they did release it.
    Presumably they must have thought so, otherwise they would
    not have bothered to have their own in the first place.
    Yes, I do, along with google's.

    The main thing I don't like about it and with google's
    is that you can't make it get the maps into the idevice
    while you still have access to wifi and use it when you
    are outside wifi range.

    Nokia's Drive does that, those two don't.

    I also don't like the lack of full multi waypoint
    routing like you get with any decent GPS.

    I do like the fact that it tell you which side
    of the street your destination is on. The
    standalone tomtoms don't.

    I should really have a proper look at all the
    alternatives before buying one of them for
    the iphone. The price is high enough so
    that it isnt really viable to just buy them all.
    I haven't found any problems with Apple's
    except that one short street is completely
    missing in a small village in the wilds of
    rural Australia. It is in google's.
    Yeah, going to be interesting to watch how it
    all pans out with Ive now driving the bus etc.

    Rod Speed, May 20, 2013
  19. Alan Browne

    Sandman Guest

    I've never understood how this is evil? I mean, you have already given
    Google freedom to see 100% of your email when you signed up for Gmail.
    They are hosting it for you, they have all the data. When you read your
    email you are doing so via a Google service. So you access
    gmail.google.com and it accesses your emails. Or you access
    maps.google.com and it accesses your email - what is the difference? All
    your email are belong to them. If you do not want Google to be able to
    see your emails, using gmail was a bad move from day one.

    To repeat, it is a three-way relation: You, Google, Your mail database.

    Whether that relationship is used in gmail or maps makes no difference.

    You would have a point if this was something that happened *against your
    will*, but it isn't. It was your explicit "will" that Google has 100%
    access to all your emails.

    Sandman, May 20, 2013
  20. Alan Browne

    Guest Guest

    yes you can, for a reasonable size area.

    Guest, May 20, 2013